The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

PP Leica S DNG in Capture One 8

kimyeesan

Dear all, is there a way for me to get proper color profile when importing Leica S DNG into Capture one? Every time I import, the color turn out to be over saturated and prone to blooming of details and color...
Anyway to do this properly? or I have to resort to exporting from LR/PS using tiff into Capture One?

Thanks in advance...

thrice

No, there is no way. I have spoken to the top guys at Leica, who have no solution and little interest in pursuing creation of one.

I tried creating profiles myself which got me nowhere without investing a huge amount of time and expense.

Because of the way Capture One works third parties cannot write simple profiles that work nicely with their raw engine.

Short answer: use Lightroom

tjv

No, you are right. I've been experimenting with C1 tonight in anticipation of my Credo 60 arriving. I must say it's come a bloody long way since I used it in 2007! In fact, I'm pretty sure it will do away with my need for Photoshop at all as many of the tools are much better in terms of implimentation than Lightroom. For example, you can select a nodal / end point on the curve and press the up, down, left, righ keys to fine tune its placement, just like in PS. In LR, this is an exervise in insanity for me (unless it's been improved in LR5 / CC?) Anyway, there are other things that I'll like and I will need to retrain myself on the hotkeys and develop modules, but it's looking great!

Long and short of it, I think it pretty silly for Phase not to offer support to the S and Pentax 645Z. They'd sell more lisences that way and C1 might act like a kind of gateway drug to the bigger sensors and modular backs Phase/Leaf offer...

John Black

In the Leica owners area their is an ICC profile that can be added to C1 by right clicking and opening "Package Contents" (on a Mac, I don't use a PC). Paste the profile the profile here:

Frameworks-->ApprCore.framework-->Versions-->A-->Resources-->Profiles-->Input

Re-open C1 and the S2 profile will be available as an alternate to the standard DNG profile. This is unofficial support, and frankly, I shouldn't even call it "support" -

• No lens corrections; function disabled
• No CA removal; check box does nothing, grayed out most of the time
• No tone curves to match ICC profile
• Demosaicing artifacts in transitions / gradients
• WB values are not calibrated (odd values)
• LCC not supported

It's a shame that C1 doesn't support the Leica S. Someday I may stop using C1 for other cameras as well and then Capture One gets no money...

iiiNelson

Dear all, is there a way for me to get proper color profile when importing Leica S DNG into Capture one? Every time I import, the color turn out to be over saturated and prone to blooming of details and color...
Anyway to do this properly? or I have to resort to exporting from LR/PS using tiff into Capture One?

Thanks in advance...
Phase One purposely disables/alters support for all non-Team Phase One digital medium format cameras. They have no current plans to ever support them in either RAW conversion, lens profiles, accurate color grading, and it's really a shame because the software has improved immensely since Leica was partnered with them.

It's just is not a smart business move with RAW processing open for the taking towards dominance since Adobe went subscription, Apple stopped pro support when they cancelled future Aperture development, and the other companies aren't as known as Phase One is. It's unlikely to "force" people towards their camera which is their thought if they can't afford them (but could afford a Pentax or used Leica S2 derivative) but like their software.

So in short your options are Apple, Adobe, Irridient Developer, DXO Optics Pro, etc.