Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 37 of 37

Thread: Is it possible to recalibrate LCD of Phase One IQ back?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    36
    Post Thanks / Like

    Is it possible to recalibrate LCD of Phase One IQ back?

    Hi everyone,


    I think the LCD of my newly acquired 2nd hand IQ back is a little bit off, image a little bit washed out with some colour cast.

    The colour balance is quite alot different from Capture One import. So White Balance setting in the back wont fix that. I think it's probably a calibration problem/ICC profile problem.

    Am I too spoiled with DSLR's LCD or this is actually not normal? And is it something simple that dealers are able to service or it has to be sent back to factory?

    I used a couple of P backs before but IQ LCD has been also disappointing so far ..
    Last edited by yashima; 30th June 2015 at 01:05.

  2. #2
    Member Nutcracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    46
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    10

    Re: Is it possible to recalibrate LCD of Phase One IQ back?

    Have you tried Factory Reset in Menu?

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    36
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is it possible to recalibrate LCD of Phase One IQ back?

    Do you mean, Restore to Default? That changes different settings parameter to default, but doesnt affect the LCD ..

    Do you find the images on your IQ LCD match Capture One import? Mine are quite a part in terms of colour

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Little Rock AR
    Posts
    1,926
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: Is it possible to recalibrate LCD of Phase One IQ back?

    The back LCD is not a very good solution for actual color or WB. This is unlike a DSLR screen. I only use the screen for checking focus and blown highlight checking.

    I would also use the "daylight" white balance setting if shooting outdoors not the auto.

    Personally I have never understood this issue but over the year shave learned not to trust the LCD for color rendering or shadows. This is even more true if you are using a tech camera and have the issues of color cast.

    Paul


    Paul

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    36
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is it possible to recalibrate LCD of Phase One IQ back?

    Thank you Paul, so I'm glad I'm not alone thinking about this issue, but at the same time quite sad that's what we have to settle with.

    It shouldn't be difficult to have a well calibrated LCD, or custom ICC profile

  6. #6
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    4,043
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1253

    Re: Is it possible to recalibrate LCD of Phase One IQ back?

    light years beyond the prior-to-IQ backs

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Little Rock AR
    Posts
    1,926
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: Is it possible to recalibrate LCD of Phase One IQ back?

    Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    light years beyond the prior-to-IQ backs
    Yes, I fully agree, and the touch interface is excellent along with the zoom at 100%. Overall a great solution, I just find it strange that Phase One can't seem to get the WB/actual image color more calibrated. It used to drive me nuts, but I finally realized just use the screen for focus and highlights and worry about actual color in post with C1.

    Paul

  8. #8
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    32° 31' 37.06" N, 111° 6' 0.9" W
    Posts
    4,333
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is it possible to recalibrate LCD of Phase One IQ back?

    Warning - I'm feeling slightly cranky this morning.

    First, I hardly ever look at the LCD of either my IQ180 orconverted Sony and when I do it's for the purpose of checking focus & histogram. While I look at the image I don't attempt tojudge the quality of the actual image in terms of color.

    Side not here - I also shoot with a Sony A7r converted tocapture full spectrum and also use 3-other filters to capture infrared. In each case I shoot a white balancereference shot using an Expo Disk.Theremaining shots are all reddish in color until I get them on the computer.

    Back to the IQ. Ikeep the back set to auto white balance. Period, no changes.The files are loaded into C1 Pro andprocessed there with no surprises.

    I think a lot of people expect too much from the LCD. This goes for any camera.Try to remember what it was like whenshooting film.We didn't have a cluewhat anything looked like until in the dark room.At least what we have now is the ability tocheck several key factors without waiting days or weeks.We need to begin using the LCD as a tool andnot a crutch.

    Let me go one step further. There is a constant near rage on how expensive a digital back is and howmuch it deprecates.Image what the costwould be if suddenly we had the ability to actually perform a calibration ofthe screen similar to our monitors?Thenagain I can see several factors that would make this very difficult to evenbegin with.The IQ back is light yearsahead of the pre-IQ digital back and continues to grow more.However I doubt that it will ever have allthe goodies that everyone wants; there simply isn't a perfect solution foreveryone.

    Told ya I was feeling cranky....
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    565
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is it possible to recalibrate LCD of Phase One IQ back?

    Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post
    I think a lot of people expect too much from the LCD...
    From their website, P1 states that, '...the display delivers great color rendition that can reproduce tonal gradations of up to 16 million different shades.'

    For something that costs - what - $40k - I think it's reasonable to expect a lot.

  10. #10
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    32° 31' 37.06" N, 111° 6' 0.9" W
    Posts
    4,333
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is it possible to recalibrate LCD of Phase One IQ back?

    I have no problems with the images shown on my IQ. Do they look as good as what they do on a calibrated monitor? No and neither do I expect them to. Is the LCD better than before? Yes.

    I would recommend to the OP that if the images look washed or not as fresh as you think they should then have it checked out.

    I warned everyone to begin with I felt crank this morning.
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

  11. #11
    Senior Member stephengilbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    Posts
    2,274
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: Is it possible to recalibrate LCD of Phase One IQ back?

    At least you're not constantly cranky. Imagine what these threads would be like if people were constantly whining.
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    36
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is it possible to recalibrate LCD of Phase One IQ back?

    Hi Don,

    You don't know what exactly my LCD looks like or whether it actually has some problem or not. Of course I expected to be alot better than P+, after all, thats the only thing I pay for upgrading from P40/P65 to IQ140/160.

    I don't expect it to be as good as an iphone, but when flesh tone coming out blue-ish and when I light and shoot deliberately for certain colour cast, it throws me off, then I'm abit concerned. The thing is I feel this is something very easy to fix.

    So my point is asking if anyone else has experienced similar problems, and whether a service can correct it, then I'm happy to get it serviced. I thought it was a fair query, isnt it.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    565
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is it possible to recalibrate LCD of Phase One IQ back?

    Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    At least you're not constantly cranky. Imagine what these threads would be like if people were constantly whining.
    Henrik ... is ... is that you?

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    565
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is it possible to recalibrate LCD of Phase One IQ back?

    Quote Originally Posted by yashima View Post
    I don't expect it to be as good as an iphone...
    Isn't that sad - but true.

    Quote Originally Posted by yashima View Post
    I thought it was a fair query...
    Er, it is ... not sure what the fuss is about other than the usual - any perceived criticism of Phase One is denigrated as 'whining', 'complaining', 'moaning', 'grumbling' etc. etc.

  15. #15
    Senior Member kdphotography's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Carmel/Tucson
    Posts
    2,355
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is it possible to recalibrate LCD of Phase One IQ back?

    Have you had (or do you have) the opportunity to compare the LCD screen of your IQ MFDB with another IQ MFDB---and shot under the same conditions? That might give you a better idea is your LCD is wonky or not---prior to sending it in through your dealer.

    I wouldn't trust the LCD of a DSLR or a MFDB regardless for any critical accuracy----more just for framing, focus, assisting with the capture of the image. Any color critical issues---no way. I take a control frame with a grey card and set WB and profiles in post with C1 Pro. It is quite possible your LCD is off, but I've never heard anyone having such issues---even the cranky whiny ones. I'd keep plugging away to figure out if there is something going on with your MFDB LCD or if it is simply user-error. Either way the answer is out there...

    ken

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Little Rock AR
    Posts
    1,926
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: Is it possible to recalibrate LCD of Phase One IQ back?

    I tend to agree with Ken on his overall statement, but I still feel that I can get a lot more "perceived" color from a Sony, Fuji, or Nikon LCD, may just be my eyes.

    Unlike Don, I never use Auto WB, as I feel it really creates the worst image on the LCD, but we each have 2 eyes and it's all seen differently for sure.

    One thing you can do, it use the LCD on the IQ to take a custom WB from a shot. This actually works very well, and it's something I have started doing for outdoor shoots. You can zoom in to a spot and select the dropper and then save that particular WB for the rest of the shoot. I can't remember if it stays on there for good or not.

    Since I started tethering, I have really stopped using the camera LCD for very much anymore as the view at 100% in C1 is so much better for really everything. It's not really very easy to setup (frame) a shot with the CCD backs in LiveView unless you carry the vario ND. With tethering you can set you WB to anything you like and all the shots will then come in with that WB.

    I fully realize that tethering in some situations is just not very easy to do or practical. However when you can it's great.

    For a while I was just using tethering to setup a shot, but now I just let everything go to the PC and hope nothing happens. Even image review is so much better overall. Sorry I know this is a bit off topic.

    Paul

  17. #17
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    32° 31' 37.06" N, 111° 6' 0.9" W
    Posts
    4,333
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is it possible to recalibrate LCD of Phase One IQ back?

    Quote Originally Posted by yashima View Post
    Hi Don,

    You don't know what exactly my LCD looks like or whether it actually has some problem or not. Of course I expected to be alot better than P+, after all, thats the only thing I pay for upgrading from P40/P65 to IQ140/160.

    I don't expect it to be as good as an iphone, but when flesh tone coming out blue-ish and when I light and shoot deliberately for certain colour cast, it throws me off, then I'm abit concerned. The thing is I feel this is something very easy to fix.

    So my point is asking if anyone else has experienced similar problems, and whether a service can correct it, then I'm happy to get it serviced. I thought it was a fair query, isnt it.


    Here's an idea. Contact your dealer and see what if anything can be done. If you don't have one then find one as they will be more than willing to assist you.
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

  18. #18
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    32° 31' 37.06" N, 111° 6' 0.9" W
    Posts
    4,333
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is it possible to recalibrate LCD of Phase One IQ back?

    I want to clear the air about something since it was brought up here. I couldn't care less what camera or digital back anyone uses. They all have equally strong and equally weak points. Just because someone has an issue with a Phase product doesn't automatically mean I going to dismiss the problem and see it as grumbling, whining, complaining or any other term people like to throw out.

    What I have seen is a general thought process that a digital back (no matter who makes it) should be perfect. By this I mean that it will fulfill all your expectations. It won't. And yes a digital back costs huge bucks both new and used and one should get their monies worth. My recommendation has always been to buy something this expensive from a reputable dealer or barring that have it checked out first before buying it.

    Going back to the original concern of the colors on the LCD. The best solution to this problem and any other is to contact a dealer and speak directly with them explaining what the problem is. I also can't help but think back to the days before a LCD was available which was the very early days of digital. Much like shooting film, we shot then waited until we got the file open on a computer or dark room in the case of film. The LCD is a great aid to achieving that perfect shot but it shouldn't be used as a crutch. I just wrote that for general terms as I don't know what the full extent of the problem of the LCD is and please don't read into it any more than what I said in the sentence.


    I don't consider what was asked as whining. It was a good question. My recommendation is the same as it was before. Contact your dealer.
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

  19. #19
    Senior Member Steve Hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    420
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: Is it possible to recalibrate LCD of Phase One IQ back?

    Quote Originally Posted by f8orbust View Post
    Isn't that sad - but true.



    Er, it is ... not sure what the fuss is about other than the usual - any perceived criticism of Phase One is denigrated as 'whining', 'complaining', 'moaning', 'grumbling' etc. etc.

    And then there's the grumbling about the grumblers who are grumbling about the Phase One grumblers.

    Apparently it is a highly contagious condition.


    Steve Hendrix
    Capture Integration
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Digital Cam: • Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Sinar • Authorized Reseller
    TechCam: • Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar • Authorized Reseller
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    36
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is it possible to recalibrate LCD of Phase One IQ back?

    Hi Steve, while we have your attention, could you pls weigh in on the LCD issue? Have you ever come across any backs had this problem? And how would you solve it? (It could be just my unreasonable expectation). I dont have a dealer locally, but will travel to one at the weekend.

    This is not a grumble, simply an effort at problem solving. I love Phase One sensor.

  21. #21
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,275
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Re: Is it possible to recalibrate LCD of Phase One IQ back?

    Quote Originally Posted by yashima View Post
    Hi Steve, while we have your attention, could you pls weigh in on the LCD issue? Have you ever come across any backs had this problem? And how would you solve it? (It could be just my unreasonable expectation). I dont have a dealer locally, but will travel to one at the weekend.

    This is not a grumble, simply an effort at problem solving. I love Phase One sensor.
    With your dealer you can compare your back with other similar Phase One backs.

    If it's the same, then your back is normal and there is nothing to be done.

    If it's different then your back is not performing correctly and should be repaired/replaced/rectified.

    Over the internet none of us can see what you're seeing. So it's hard for us to tell if what you are seeing is normal.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  22. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    36
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is it possible to recalibrate LCD of Phase One IQ back?

    Hi Doug, I'm not asking what's wrong with my back. I'm trying to ask if anyone has similar experience and has had the back service based on that. As someone who has handled thousands of repairs/service, I'm sure you/Steve would know better than anyone.

  23. #23
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,275
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Re: Is it possible to recalibrate LCD of Phase One IQ back?

    Quote Originally Posted by yashima View Post
    Hi Doug, I'm not asking what's wrong with my back. I'm trying to ask if anyone has similar experience and has had the back service based on that. As someone who has handled thousands of repairs/service, I'm sure you/Steve would know better than anyone.
    I cannot recall overseeing any repairs where the description was similar to "a little bit washed out with some color cast".

    - There's a first time for everything
    - I can't see what you're seeing, so my understanding of what you're writing may be incorrect

    Your dealer can take one look at the system and tell you whether the LCD is functioning normally.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

  24. #24
    Senior Member Steve Hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    420
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: Is it possible to recalibrate LCD of Phase One IQ back?

    Quote Originally Posted by yashima View Post
    Hi Steve, while we have your attention, could you pls weigh in on the LCD issue? Have you ever come across any backs had this problem? And how would you solve it? (It could be just my unreasonable expectation). I dont have a dealer locally, but will travel to one at the weekend.

    This is not a grumble, simply an effort at problem solving. I love Phase One sensor.

    Hi Yashima -

    You don't have to worry about grumbling. You brought a legitimate problem to the front. Grumbling only elevates to a topic in its own right when grumblers are taken to task or other grumblers take to task grumblers for grumbling about grumblers. Yada, yada, yada.

    So back to your original concern - which is not a grumble, it's a voiced legitimate concern. Your LCD might have some issue if it is showing some cast of some sort, possibly. Let us know what the dealer concludes this weekend. As to the LCD itself, yes, it is naturally a bit under-saturated. I myself kind of like this, though I can understand how it could take getting used to. But with regard to color, assuming a healthy IQ or Credo LCD, if you find the colors are not that similar to the color you see on your computer display on initial import with no adjustments, then there's not a lot I can recommend at this stage. If the color is different after making white balance adjustments in Capture One, then you could potentially upload those custom white balances that were set in Capture One to the IQ and perhaps they'd be closer if you shot to those.

    There's a potential for custom calibrating camera LCD screens, but it remains to be seen whether that will ever develop.


    Steve Hendrix
    Capture Integration
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Digital Cam: • Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Sinar • Authorized Reseller
    TechCam: • Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar • Authorized Reseller
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  25. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    36
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is it possible to recalibrate LCD of Phase One IQ back?

    Clear, to the point, helpful answer. Thank you Steve.

    Yes, I meant the colors are not that similar on initial import with no adjustment. I really think its because the embedded ICC profile of the back is not the same as the default ICC profile for the back in Capture One.

    But at the same time, I can see the difference with some predictability so its something that can be adapted to. I will report after the weekend.

  26. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    565
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is it possible to recalibrate LCD of Phase One IQ back?

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hendrix View Post
    And then there's the grumbling about the grumblers who are grumbling about the Phase One grumblers.
    So, just to clear this all up - that’s a grumble about a grumble at the grumblers who are grumbling about the Phase One grumblers? Sounds about right - or have I missed a grumble out somewhere ? If I have, please don’t grumble about it.

    In all seriousness, this shouldn’t be difficult to resolve. A bit like the issue of 5 yr warranties as standard when someone drops $40k on a piece of gear. Oh, yes - P1 now do that at long last. Shows you what a good grumble will do (was one of my personal favorites) in a market pretty much free of competition, and the excellence that it naturally brings.

    So here’s a radical idea - P1 shoot a standard image (for each series of DB) of a test target (Kodak, X-Rite or whatever). The relevant image can then be copied to the user’s CF card for display on their back (with the back’s settings reset to the factory defaults).

    They also create an ICC profile for the LCD’s color space and supply that to the user, so they can load the reference image into C1 (with appropriate C1 settings supplied by P1) and see a good approximation (on a properly calibrated monitor) of how it should be displaying on the back’s LCD.

    Anyway, just an idea.

  27. #27
    Senior Member Steve Hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    420
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: Is it possible to recalibrate LCD of Phase One IQ back?

    Quote Originally Posted by f8orbust View Post
    So, just to clear this all up - that’s a grumble about a grumble at the grumblers who are grumbling about the Phase One grumblers? Sounds about right - or have I missed a grumble out somewhere ? If I have, please don’t grumble about it.

    In all seriousness, this shouldn’t be difficult to resolve. A bit like the issue of 5 yr warranties as standard when someone drops $40k on a piece of gear. Oh, yes - P1 now do that at long last. Shows you what a good grumble will do (was one of my personal favorites) in a market pretty much free of competition, and the excellence that it naturally brings.

    So here’s a radical idea - P1 shoot a standard image (for each series of DB) of a test target (Kodak, X-Rite or whatever). The relevant image can then be copied to the user’s CF card for display on their back (with the back’s settings reset to the factory defaults).

    They also create an ICC profile for the LCD’s color space and supply that to the user, so they can load the reference image into C1 (with appropriate C1 settings supplied by P1) and see a good approximation (on a properly calibrated monitor) of how it should be displaying on the back’s LCD.

    Anyway, just an idea.

    More ideas are good! And grumbles can lead to improvements. However, I don't know that grumbling had much to do with the 5 year warranty being standard on IQ2/3. This was more likely (IMO) an internal decision as a way to increase value without reducing price. Phase One prefers to maintain, rather than erode their price point structure as much as possible. There is more value for them to make a product more attractive at the same price point than make a price point more attractive for the same product. Just my theory though, you could have been behind this after all, and then everyone owes you a nice pat on the back.

    Back to the LCD ICC/Calibration issue - is there any digital camera (that is not a smartphone or tablet) that allows this?


    Steve Hendrix
    Capture Integration
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Digital Cam: • Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Sinar • Authorized Reseller
    TechCam: • Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar • Authorized Reseller

  28. #28
    Senior Member yaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    1,168
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    38

    Re: Is it possible to recalibrate LCD of Phase One IQ back?

    Quote Originally Posted by yashima View Post
    Clear, to the point, helpful answer. Thank you Steve.

    Yes, I meant the colors are not that similar on initial import with no adjustment. I really think its because the embedded ICC profile of the back is not the same as the default ICC profile for the back in Capture One.

    But at the same time, I can see the difference with some predictability so its something that can be adapted to. I will report after the weekend.
    Apologies if this was already suggested and I missed it, but have you tried shooting a Grey card and creating a custom WB for your specific lighting conditions?
    Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One | Mamiya Leaf
    e: [email protected] | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 | yaya's blog

  29. #29
    Workshop Member Wayne Fox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Draper, Utah
    Posts
    871
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    134

    Re: Is it possible to recalibrate LCD of Phase One IQ back?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    I tend to agree with Ken on his overall statement, but I still feel that I can get a lot more "perceived" color from a Sony, Fuji, or Nikon LCD, may just be my eyes.

    Unlike Don, I never use Auto WB, as I feel it really creates the worst image on the LCD, but we each have 2 eyes and it's all seen differently for sure.

    Paul
    I don’t believe the problem is with the LCD and while Phase probably describes what the LCD is “capable" of, the firmware of the camera is where the limitation lies.

    Unlike most digital cameras with firmware which attempts to render out a “finished” file and by default only stores that finished jpeg (and shows the results of that on the LCD), a Phase back doesn’t come with built in firmware for finished processing/rendering. As such it only presents a rudimentary processed file for evaluation. I”m sure there are a few adjustments made when it is processed, but the back itself doesn’t have a way to modify those, and non of those adjustments are an attempt to arrive at “finished” quality.

    One challenge I have with other cameras is I can’t get the display to really “show” me what I have in the raw file ... what I will have to work with once I get the file into my computer.

    Since I use ETTR frequently, the image on the back looks pretty weak most of the time. It’s amusing to see other photographers look at the back of my camera when shooting at a workshop. But the image has the information I need to know. Cropping, exposure, and focus.

    I used to use AWB, but in the last couple of years I have migrated to daylight as well. I find that in unusual lit circumstances (sunsets) the initial rendering of the color seems closer to what I’m after, and if in AWB I end up trying having to adjust the color more often. But I’m not sure it’s any better, as it seems nearly every image needs tweaked no matter which method I use.
    wayne
    My gallery

  30. #30
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    32° 31' 37.06" N, 111° 6' 0.9" W
    Posts
    4,333
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is it possible to recalibrate LCD of Phase One IQ back?

    Okay maybe a screwy thought however if a computer screen can drop pixels or develop hot ones why can't the LCD of any digital back do the same?

    Also re AWB - I do that when shooting off the DF but always shoot an LCC when on the Cambo which in turns helps the process.

    No longer in a cranky mood - sorry for pissing people off yesterday.

    Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

  31. #31
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    4,043
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1253

    Re: Is it possible to recalibrate LCD of Phase One IQ back?

    cranky can be good...gives you an edge
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  32. #32
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    32° 31' 37.06" N, 111° 6' 0.9" W
    Posts
    4,333
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is it possible to recalibrate LCD of Phase One IQ back?

    Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    cranky can be good...gives you an edge
    Sandy has begun to keep sharp object away from me
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

  33. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    36
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is it possible to recalibrate LCD of Phase One IQ back?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Fox View Post
    I don’t believe the problem is with the LCD and while Phase probably describes what the LCD is “capable" of, the firmware of the camera is where the limitation lies.

    Unlike most digital cameras with firmware which attempts to render out a “finished” file and by default only stores that finished jpeg (and shows the results of that on the LCD), a Phase back doesn’t come with built in firmware for finished processing/rendering. As such it only presents a rudimentary processed file for evaluation. I”m sure there are a few adjustments made when it is processed, but the back itself doesn’t have a way to modify those, and non of those adjustments are an attempt to arrive at “finished” quality.

    One challenge I have with other cameras is I can’t get the display to really “show” me what I have in the raw file ... what I will have to work with once I get the file into my computer.

    Since I use ETTR frequently, the image on the back looks pretty weak most of the time. It’s amusing to see other photographers look at the back of my camera when shooting at a workshop. But the image has the information I need to know. Cropping, exposure, and focus.

    I used to use AWB, but in the last couple of years I have migrated to daylight as well. I find that in unusual lit circumstances (sunsets) the initial rendering of the color seems closer to what I’m after, and if in AWB I end up trying having to adjust the color more often. But I’m not sure it’s any better, as it seems nearly every image needs tweaked no matter which method I use.

    I think Wayne nailed it.

    The reason is phase backs lacks a proper processing engine. It looks like it applies an almost linear curve to raw data. (choose IQ 160 Achromatic ICC profile in Capture One gives the closest look to the LCD).

    In manual/document, Phase One does describe there is an "embedded ICC profile" to the LCD. If there's a chance to get hold a copy of that profile, then we'll know for sure ...

  34. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    123
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is it possible to recalibrate LCD of Phase One IQ back?

    Would that embedded ICC profile actually be applied to the jpeg, by the back processing engine, that is then displayed and not to the actual LCD screen though?
    I am correct am I not that what we see on the display is a jpeg rendering of the RAW? So on a "standard" DSLR changing the jpeg in camera settings changes the preview, AFAIK the Phase One "jpeg" is fixed and not user changeable. As was mentioned above in my mind the greatest potential for the LCD to show a "poor" image colour wise is if the WB is "off" for the scene but that would also show on import and the OP says it does not.
    Could the firmware generating the jpeg be corrupted and it be worthwhile re-loading the current version, or is that not allowed by the process control?

  35. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    36
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is it possible to recalibrate LCD of Phase One IQ back?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisLivsey View Post
    Would that embedded ICC profile actually be applied to the jpeg, by the back processing engine, that is then displayed and not to the actual LCD screen though?
    I am correct am I not that what we see on the display is a jpeg rendering of the RAW? So on a "standard" DSLR changing the jpeg in camera settings changes the preview, AFAIK the Phase One "jpeg" is fixed and not user changeable. As was mentioned above in my mind the greatest potential for the LCD to show a "poor" image colour wise is if the WB is "off" for the scene but that would also show on import and the OP says it does not.
    Could the firmware generating the jpeg be corrupted and it be worthwhile re-loading the current version, or is that not allowed by the process control?

    Hi Chris, me and a few other users think the LCD preview is not a good representation of the image upon import on Capture One. So its not a WB issue. There are two possibilities here:

    1. LCD screen is out of calibration

    2. The ICC profile the back use and the default profile Capture One use is not the same, OR, the processing engine in the back renders the colour (using the ICC profile) poorly in comparison with Capture One processing engine.

    On certain DSLR we can load custom tone curve on it, so the processing engine can renders accordingly. My experience with DSLR is they renders pretty closely to the image upon import using the camera manufacturers' own RAW converter. Hence the initial questions. I guess I will learn to live with it.

  36. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Los Altos, CA
    Posts
    38
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is it possible to recalibrate LCD of Phase One IQ back?

    The display on the back of my IQ180 and many others I have used or seen shows the same weaknesses Yashima describes. The color gamut / saturation is much reduced compared to what is seen on a laptop with C1 and the sharpness is not adequate to truly evaluate focus in my opinion. Remember though, the laptop is fully processing the raw image with sharpening, while the back is only showing an image that is not fully de-bayered or adequately sharpened. It seems that Phase One should be able to do better if the display is truly "Retina" quality though. My Canon 5d and iPhone both certainly show better image color, saturation and sharpness than my 80 mpix back! Come on Phase One, give us something better. I need to see if the shot is truly sharp!

  37. #37
    Workshop Member Wayne Fox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Draper, Utah
    Posts
    871
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    134

    Re: Is it possible to recalibrate LCD of Phase One IQ back?

    Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post
    Okay maybe a screwy thought however if a computer screen can drop pixels or develop hot ones why can't the LCD of any digital back do the same?

    Don
    The pixels on the computer screen (until recently) are much larger. I’m not sure if you can see a dropped pixel on a retina density screen without some magnification ... so maybe they are there?

    (heading to closet now to get loupe ... )
    wayne
    My gallery

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •