The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

OMG nightmare!

tcdeveau

Oh man my heart just skipped a couple beats reading this thread. I've made a couple similar screw ups on paying gigs lately and feel your pain. Glad to hear the end result will be ok!

schuster

It's interesting, Dan, that your recounting is so much like your images that I have seen here... a perfect depiction of the atmosphere and beautifully composed to bring the reader/viewer all the way in to experience the scene.

I have been retired for more than a dozen years, but your story still gave me a flash of the familiar stomach knot that I had experienced many times over several decades of commercial photography. Thankfully, most were false alarms, a couple were very lucky "saves", and one was a... gulp... reshoot (a light meter hemisphere in the set, in front of everyone's faces, but "invisible" until the chromes came back from the lab). I'm so glad this was a "save" for you.

danlindberg

Thanks a bunch to all of you! really appreciate your concerns, tips, knowledge and ofcourse friendship :thumbup: It is a little bit funny that after many years of participating here we get to know each other without even knowing each others faces....(how about a selfie-thread?)

Yes, I realise now afterwards that this thread actually 'can' come across as written by a drama-queen, but it does come down to being a perfectionist at heart. (as Marc mentioned).
A silly newbie mistake really isn't allowed in my position!

Anyway, project continues, evening/nightshots to be done next week and client has seen first mockup of covershot/layout of a 20 page brochure - and very happy he is....:thumbup:

Dogs857

So glad it worked out ok for you Dan.

I didn't read drama queen at all. I'd be worried too if I'd put all that effort into a paying gig only to think I'd wrecked the whole thing by doing something wrong that was really basic. Like going on a 3 hour bush walk only to realise you left the batteries for your digital back in the car.

I was more surprised that you could sleep on it, nerves of steel mate. :thumbup:

rga

Echoing all others statements of relief for you Dan.

And a question: I believe that the Alpa has axial tilt, yes? So 1 degree of forward tilt is not as severe as if you had off axis tilt... Which may have been of help in this situation?

Best,
Bob

jlm

Workshop Member
out of curiosity, looks like you have a CCD back so no live view. how are you setting focus? esp if using tilt intentionally. if un-intentionally, i'm surprised the focusing scale was close enough

danlindberg

Thanks again folks...

Bob, yeah, 1 degree of tilt is not very severe although obviously there's a visible difference of introducing it or not.

Jim, I focus with Leica D5 and Alpa HPF rings, when lens is zeroed I am spot on 10 times out of 10. I trust this workflow 100% on my calibrated system.

When it comes to tilt it is a another matter. As you say, with ccd and no live view it boils down to many years of trial and error and experience. I have certain 'standard' setups that I know works with a particular lens. Height, first focus point, aperture etc. This shot was one of those within a certain set of criteria. I was lucky that it was a 'mild' tilt movement of only one degree and not three.......

gerald.d

An update!

I have had a good look at the raw files and gone through all of them to see the effect it has had.

Yes, I can see on some that it isn't zeroed but on many I cannot see it at all. All in all, they are workable and end result will be satisfactory.

But it definitely was a misstake, an unintentional movement that got forgotten. It could have been disaster however this time I got away with it! I blame the heat :p

Oh well, lesson learned.....
All that hard work they do at ALPA to engineer things to micron tolerances, and it doesn't matter because you can get away with an accidental 1 degree of tilt!

*big winky smilie*

Kind regards,

Gerald.

danlindberg

Update!

Assignment completed, delivered and to the complete satisfaction of client!

I made a 16 page salespresentation of the residence and I attach the coverdesign.

Ps. Gerald, true....:p although I am very very happy with the extreme tolerances when looking at a mountain range at infinity......