The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Looking into your glass....

aztwang

Curios question...When ya'll take the end caps off of your Schneider LS lenses and shine a light thru one end...what do you see? Is it crystal clear with a couple of dust specs, does if have allot of dust spots (not black dust), or.....??
When I look thru these lenses and hold 'em up to the open sky or thru a distant light, the glass looks great, crystal clear...but when I hold them up to the flashlight on my phone its a whole different picture. I see lots of specs, some look like dust, some look like a pin sized spot...all 4 lenses and they all have less than 6-700 actuations. I know you cant see what I see, just looking for some guidance. I was surprised to learn that these 3-5K pieces of glass are not weather sealed, something I have grown accustomed to with Nikon pro glass.

Thanks and have a great day!

That's pretty typical and I think it's a matter of perception. Everything you can see with the flashlight is there when you point the lens at a strong light source, but the amount of light coming through doesn't allow your eye the necessary contrast to pick up on what's actually in there. Using a lower level and directed source of light, like an LED flashlight, allows you to see everything.

Just remember that even the best sealed lenses don't remain pristine if you use them and, when you're using them, you probably won't care they aren't pristine.

Last edited:

Shashin

If you are OCD and don't want to fall asleep at night, shine a flashlight down your optics. If you are OCD and want to sleep, then don't.