Site Sponsors

Thread: Filter system reccomendation

Post Thanks / Like

Filter system reccomendation

As I have said in earlier posts, I am VERY new to MFD. I make a living as a portrait photographer and shoot allot of sports and have and still do string for a newspaper as requested.
    I thoroughly enjoy all the beautiful landscape images seen here and something inside me is wanting to start shooting some landscape. I have some amazing locations here in AZ.
    I have never shot using filters as I have never had the need.
    Would you please recommend a filter system that is of high quality, little or no color shift and overall the best to work with.

Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Filter system reccomendation

Type and size of filters/filter systems depends very much on desired effects and lenses you will be using. You can achieve a lot of effects with single or even stacked screw-in filters but if you wish to affect parts of the frame only (e.g. foreground/horizon) like with graduated neutral density filters I'd recommend to use rotatable filter systems. The type and brand depends on the lenses which should carry those filters. In case with bulging front elements you need a special filter holder. I have used Fotodiox and LEE filter systems. With those systems you can combine rectangular filter glass plates and circular filters as well.

Circular Neutral Density filters made by Hoya produce very little color cast, while others often produce strong magenta casts which sometimes cannot easily be corrected by white balance adjustments only. Lee ND filters are one of the best. The little stopper (6 stops) does produce very very little blue cast while the big stopper (10 stops) results in a bit more blue cast. Both can easily be corrected.

You will find a lot reviews regarding this topic on the web.

Regards,
    Udo

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I shoot a lot in AZ and with other MF shooters too and about none of us use filters except for the occasional polarizer for pertroglyhs.

Post Thanks / Like

I use only B+W brand filters for both black&white and color.

They're of extremely high quality, made with Schott glass.
    The blackened brass frame and filter ring will not bind to aluminum lens rings or accessories.

- Leigh

Post Thanks / Like

For high quality buy a Lee filter system and never look back.

Stick a CPL onto the front and buy some ND filters and you are set. I no longer use Grad filters since I perfected exposure blending in post.
    The ND filters will give a cast to your image that is correctable.
    The CPL will just make things look better.
    Using the Lee system means you only ever need one filter set and it will cover every lens you buy from now on. Screw in filters are limited to lens thread sizes.

What filters were you thinking of??
    Stop chasing gear, start chasing photos instead.

Jeff, but my friends call me Dogs