The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEW Leica S-E for $6000

Ken_R

Hi,

I never considered buying the A7r for a single second. Why? Because I knew it was old technology. The camera I had at that time and still have was the Sony Alpha 99, that had the same technology as the one in the A7. It had on sensor phase detecting AF, and Electronic First Shutter Curtain (EFCS). So I felt the A7r was backwards, not having the same features. So it was a no buy for me. Later it was found that the A7r had dismal AF performance and shutter vibrations reduced it's resolution to about 24 MP levels, in the shutter speed range I use most of the time.

Now, the A7rII adressed all those issues, so I ordered it ASAP when it was released.

Just to make it clear, I never considered that A7r to be a good design for a single moment, in my view the original A7 was more attractive.

Best regards
Erik

The A7RII sure ticks all the boxes for you and a lot of people. The spec list (including the BSi tech in the sensor) is a virtual wish list of a lot of the (more vocal) forum folk. I am sure it will test well. Im waiting till it's out there to see if I will get it. I always evaluate my kit and make adjustments (buy/sell items) every few years according to my changing needs and/or tech advancements (that would help me work faster/easier, better). Right now it is very dialed (for the work I do to make a living and personal projects).

The S-E for $6k is a good deal. I used the S briefly and loved the handling, viewfinder, feel of the body and the tethering performance (I used it in a studio). The Image quality was/is really nice for many types of work and the lens selection superb. (+ you can adapt many other medium format lenses due to the short flange focal distance of the leica S mount)

iiiNelson

I often hear people call these luxury items, it seems to be those that haven't used it or can't justify it themselves that resort to the name, it's like an odd reverse snobbery, anti equipment that doesn't make financial sense to them, seriously, it's just kit! I find it really strange when people find a solution that fits their own individual requirements and rather than be content to get on with it, seem to not be happy unless everyone knows that they have made the best choice and confirms with them that they are indeed brilliant for choosing whatever they've bought, it's madness!

The S is a seriously flexible piece of equipment that suits my photography better than any other camera I have tried, I have zero interest in luxury, I just want performance. It doesn't mater to me who makes the S, I would buy the exact same thing no matter what badge was on it, it's a tool for producing photographs and making money. There will always be people who think they are making a statement with what they buy, at all levels of price point but it's certainly not all of us. If it doesn't suit you then ignore it, if it does than you can get it a really good price, everyones a winner!

On stagnating sales, of course, they have announced a new body, people will wait for it. How many A7r's are flying out the door with the A7r2 now announced? Is it big news that their sales have stagnated? Probably not.

Mat
For the record I wasn't taking a jab at people when I referred to people buying luxury items. I actually love the S and it is one of the few Leica products that I'd consider buying if I were in the market to buy at this time. I'm not though due to life choices (saving for wedding/honeymoon expenses.)

I was simply referring to the very real economic situation that SOME people are in which sometimes affects gear choices. I think most portrait and landscape shooters would love to shoot MF all day if they could reasonably afford it. Most can't but that's not a knock on gear choices but rather a reality.

Sorry for the confusion, I know it gets tiring listening to SOME commenting on why they selected different gear, but there's really little reason to defend your reasons for what gear you shoot (believe me I can take my own advice on that.) Anyone that doesn't think the S is a great camera is either biased or ignorant... In reality whether you choose Leica, Pentax, Phase One, or Hasselblad you're just arguing about which "200+mph supercar" is your favorite... Unless you use the metric system... Then it's like 320-odd kph or so.

Paratom

These low prices do not appear any more on the Link.
Does anybody know if this was a faulty price??? Or can you really get a SE for such low price today?
Thanks, Tom

iiiNelson

Does anybody know if this was a faulty price??? Or can you really get a SE for such low price today?
Thanks, Tom
They've been running that deal for about a month or so now. I've gotten 2 or 3 emails highlighting the deal.

atanabe

Thanks, Tom
My guess is the supply ran out, you can always call or email them. I just saw an offer for the SE at Camera West for $4800 again, I think while supplies last. It is a great time to buy into the S system, just got a 120 macro for $2888 and it is in great shape, little tick on the filter flange and rubs on the lens hood but the glass is perfect. A CS version popped up on the Camera West page for $3895.

Stuart Richardson

I am also a bit shocked (and dismayed...I still have not gotten around to selling my S2) by the price, but it is a screaming deal. Certainly as a system it is among the leaders for consistently high image quality.

Regarding the upcoming S, I agree with tjv in assessing it as a very hard sell at this point. I was not impressed when I saw that it was still only 37.5mp, and that was back at Photokina. Personally, I think Leica's thoughts about the S system are swayed too much by a few fashion professionals, rather than the general users of the system. Look at their S magazine and all their S promotions...the vast majority of it is fashion. In reality though, I think most S cameras are probably not being used for fashion, but by people working on locations who prioritize quality and handling, and by amateur photographers who do the same. For fashion high megapixels might not be as important as more shooting speed, 4k, higher ISO and so on, but I think most other users of the system are choosing it for the superiority of the lenses. When I zoom in at 3:1 on an S photo taken with the 120 macro, for example, it is clear that the lens is dramatically out-resolving the sensor. Seeing as Leica lenses are the best reason to shoot Leica cameras, I think the decision to prioritize speed and high ISO over resolution was a misguided one. Leica can say all they want that 37.5mp is enough and to a large extent they are right, but it is hard for them to say it at the same time they are trying to talk about how high resolution their lenses are. It is a hard sell when a photographer knows that if you took an S lens off the 007 and popped it on a Canon or Sony it would resolve substantially more while saving the photographer 22,000 USD.
I absolutely adore the S and believe it has many many advantages over my A7s, but I bought the A7S so I could do video, rather than wait for the upcoming S as it was cheaper, currently available, and seemed to be much better tailored to video than the implementation proposed in the 007. I wish they had let the S continue to do what the whole system was designed to do -- blow away the competition in image quality and ergonomics. The camera they announced will be the lowest resolution medium format digital flagship, as well as lower resolution than the current generation of high resolution DSLR's...I think that was a very bad direction to go in. Unless there is some magic trick that it can do that is not yet public, I personally do not think I will be buying one. The feature set is basically that of the D800 (36.3mp CMOS, 4fps, 100-6400, live view, 1080p 30p) only going on 3.5 years later and adding a bigger sensor, cropped frame 4k, GPS and a S mount.
The S should be at least 60mp, with an option for using lower MP counts with pixel binning for people who don't need or want the file size.
/rant over