Site Sponsors

Thread: Phase One XF and IQ180

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Phase One XF and IQ180

I've had the XF for a couple days now using it with my 180 and in short love it.

The fit and finish is excellent; the RRS L-bracket I had used on my DF fits just as well on the XF. The body came with the newer firmware installed so all I was left with was updating the 180. Phase is shipping the XF with the older DF mask with no idea of when the newer one will arrive; likewise the same with the WL which I really want. The most notable item is it seems that Phase has updated their electronic shutter release outlet by adding several pins in the middle. What this means is the older electronic shutter releases no longer fit/work. Rumor has it that Phase will either come up with an adaptor for the older releases or come out with an entirely new release.

I've so far shot some landscape as well as a bridal dress fitting all with no issues.

Subjectively I think the "feel" is much better than the older DF, likewise it "feels" smaller/lighter which I know it isn't. I also fell the AF is much improved but please don't ask by how much.

In order of my importance I want the WF then the mask and finally the shutter release to be released.

These are just some random thoughts as I'm also preparing a blog on the same subject but will likely wait until after I return from shooting in Sedona next week.

It's well worth the long wait for this and did I mention I really like it?

In closing I want to thank the folks at Capture Integration especially Anthony Festa who looked over the camera before shipping it out and of course Dave Gallagher for ..... well just for being Dave Gallagher.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Phase One XF and IQ180

Still waiting for mine, Don, and your post is encouraging my drooling.
    Gotta go change my shirt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post
    I've had the XF for a couple days now using it with my 180 and in short love it.

The fit and finish is excellent; the RRS L-bracket I had used on my DF fits just as well on the XF. The body came with the newer firmware installed so all I was left with was updating the 180. Phase is shipping the XF with the older DF mask with no idea of when the newer one will arrive; likewise the same with the WL which I really want. The most notable item is it seems that Phase has updated their electronic shutter release outlet by adding several pins in the middle. What this means is the older electronic shutter releases no longer fit/work. Rumor has it that Phase will either come up with an adaptor for the older releases or come out with an entirely new release.

I've so far shot some landscape as well as a bridal dress fitting all with no issues.

Subjectively I think the "feel" is much better than the older DF, likewise it "feels" smaller/lighter which I know it isn't. I also fell the AF is much improved but please don't ask by how much.

In order of my importance I want the WF then the mask and finally the shutter release to be released.

These are just some random thoughts as I'm also preparing a blog on the same subject but will likely wait until after I return from shooting in Sedona next week.

It's well worth the long wait for this and did I mention I really like it?

In closing I want to thank the folks at Capture Integration especially Anthony Festa who looked over the camera before shipping it out and of course Dave Gallagher for ..... well just for being Dave Gallagher.

Don
    Good to hear you'er pleased, very exciting!!. Kind of odd though as Dave G. said per his email, the XF would only be available with the 380 and the body alone would not be shipping out for a while. Hopefully that means I will see mine this week!!!Hope hope!! Do you have more thoughts on the XF??

Don

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I'm embarrassed to admit this but I had to download the manual from P1 t figure out how to turn off the damn camera! When I first got it and after installing the L-bracket, lens and back I put the battery in the grip and it started up along with the back. Then, when I decided I needed to turn it off I couldn't figure out which button to press so I used the back to turn it off again. After reading up a bit I now know I can power up and down either via the XF or back; very easy. And yes I now know which button to press.

I like the LCD interface and am still getting used to using it and finding out what I can and can't do. So far it appears that the one thing I can't do off the XF is control the ISO; still have to do that on the back of the 180. You should have full functionality with your 380. There's still a lot I haven't figured out but will with more time.

We're headed to Sedona next week and plan to take full advantage of the place to get more experience using the XF. So far I've used it with the 40-80, 120 and 150 and will take the 240 for a spin soon. Again this is a camera I've been waiting for. Phase did it right.

Don

I understand the first bodies are now shipping. Not a lot but they are in the pipeline.
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Don -

Congratulations on the XF - great to hear that you love it!

I'm not sure which port you're referring to with this comment - " The most notable item is it seems that Phase has updated their electronic shutter release outlet by adding several pins in the middle. "

Could you please clarify?

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm embarrassed to admit this but I had to download the manual from P1 t figure out how to turn off the damn camera! When I first got it and after installing the L-bracket, lens and back I put the battery in the grip and it started up along with the back. Then, when I decided I needed to turn it off I couldn't figure out which button to press so I used the back to turn it off again. After reading up a bit I now know I can power up and down either via the XF or back; very easy. And yes I now know which button to press.

I like the LCD interface and am still getting used to using it and finding out what I can and can't do. So far it appears that the one thing I can't do off the XF is control the ISO; still have to do that on the back of the 180. You should have full functionality with your 380. There's still a lot I haven't figured out but will with more time.

We're headed to Sedona next week and plan to take full advantage of the place to get more experience using the XF. So far I've used it with the 40-80, 120 and 150 and will take the 240 for a spin soon. Again this is a camera I've been waiting for. Phase did it right.

Don

I understand the first bodies are now shipping. Not a lot but they are in the pipeline.
    I got my XF with IQ380 last week together with the new SX35 and SX120 as an upgrade from DF645+ and IQ260.

Having owned the IQ180 and IQ260 previously, the IQ380 is just what you expect it to be.

The XF camera is everything you have heard here and on various reviews the last few weeks.

It is the best thought out user interface and layout I have ever seen on any camera.

Further, on the positive side the XF was smaller and lighter than I had feared.

Having used the DF645+ for three years now, the XF feels like a real camera and not a piece of cheap plastic like the DF645+.

If you are waiting for a XF, you have some really pleasant surplices coming your way any day soon now!

Best regards

Trond

Post Thanks / Like

The electronic shutter release cable of the DF/+ does not fit the XF, you need a new one made specifically for the XF. Or wait for an adapter.

Quote Originally Posted by gerald.d View Post
    Hi Don -

I'm not sure which port you're referring to with this comment - " The most notable item is it seems that Phase has updated their electronic shutter release outlet by adding several pins in the middle. "

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Don

Don, on IQ1 Series, the ISO Dial does not adjust the ISO, so yes, changing it the way you've been is how it's done.

The interface is really really easy, although once you understand that the front dial generally navigates up/down and the rear dial navigates left/right, it is even easier! Kind of like on the P+ backs, once you realize the left side was mostly yes/no or ok/cancel, and the right was navigation/scrolling it became seamlessly logical.

Steve Hendrix
    CI
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Digital Cam: • Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Sinar • Authorized Reseller
    TechCam: • Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar • Authorized Reseller

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gerald.d View Post
    Hi Don -

Kind regards,

Gerald.
    Gerald, I normally like to use an electromagnetic cable release when the camera is attached to the tripod. The current/older release has openings on the (for lack of a better term) outer rim that plugs into the port on the side of the camera that likewise has pins on the outer area of the port. The XF has the port in the same location as the DF has however they've added a couple pins in the middle of the port thus the older release will no longer fit. The rumor is that P1 is deciding on which way to go; either produce a new cable release or an adaptor. The other thing of note is the shutter button is smooth and no longer accepts a screw in cable release.

Hope that clears it up.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

ThanksSteve, the lack of not being able to change the ISO via the camera is by no means a deal breaker for me. I knew going in that not all the functions would not be available to IQ1 series. What is available is far above what was on the older DF.

In case there’s any mistaken understanding, I love this camera!
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Don

Don,

I too am headed to Sedona this weekend. The good boys @ CI will be shipping me the new Schneider Kreuznach 35mm LS f/3.5 rental unit
    to me this Thursday," Good Lord willing and the creek dont rise" for the weekend. Feel free to reach out to me, I would be more than happy to share this gem and let you take it for a spin on your new XF.

Don McPhee
    623-889-1327

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aztwang View Post
    Don,

I too am headed to Sedona this weekend. The good boys @ CI will be shipping me the new Schneider Kreuznach 35mm LS f/3.5 rental unit
    to me this Thursday," Good Lord willing and the creek dont rise" for the weekend. Feel free to reach out to me, I would be more than happy to share this gem and let you take it for a spin on your new XF.

Don McPhee
    623-889-1327
    Thanks Don, we're headed there Sunday and will be there all week. Look for a black Ford Raptor. I almost bought the 35 but decided the 40-80 was a slightly better fit for me.
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm fairly sure I read somewhere that the new XF permits micro adjustments for individual lenses (called AF Micro Adjust on my Sonys).
    I have read the User Guide and can find no reference this function. Does it indeed have it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Caulfeild-Browne View Post
    I'm fairly sure I read somewhere that the new XF permits micro adjustments for individual lenses (called AF Micro Adjust on my Sonys).
    I have read the User Guide and can find no reference this function. Does it indeed have it?

Bill, they call it focus trim. You can store adjustments for up to unique 32 lenses.

Steve Hendrix
    CI

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hendrix View Post
    Bill, they call it focus trim. You can store adjustments for up to unique 32 lenses.
    Minor clarification (which Steve is aware of, just adding the clarification for other readers)...

It can store adjustments for up to 32 unique lenses, but other than the 35LS and 120LS it can only store those by lens model, not by serialized specific lens. So for a rental house that owns a dozen 80LS lenses it can only keep one adjustment for "80LS" which it would apply to any of the 80LS lenses.

The 35LS and 120LS are part of the new "blue ring" lens series and communicate their specific serial number to the body and are therefore tracked uniquely.

Not a big issue for the individual photographer but larger studios, catalog houses, and rental facilities will note the difference.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Post Thanks / Like

Finally, after much anticipation, the XF arrived. The major disappointment last year when it wasn't announced at Photokina faded quickly when I opened the box.

Many thanks to David Gallagher at Capture Integration for his personal assistance and his solid team of professionals who helped me update the firmware on my IQ280 and started shooting.

The XF functions like you would expect a camera in this class; crisp shutter release that works every time, relatively fast focus, solid ergo design. The UI is very intuitive.

IMHO, the XF is worth every penny of the upgrade price!

A major surprise, the 35 SK LS is SHARPer than hoped for. It will hold up well with the 32 HR, something I wouldn't have believed without doing tests myself.

Phase One has invested their R&D funds well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Orley View Post
    Finally, after much anticipation, the XF arrived. The major disappointment last year when it wasn't announced at Photokina faded quickly when I opened the box.

Many thanks to David Gallagher at Capture Integration for his personal assistance and his solid team of professionals who helped me update the firmware on my IQ280 and started shooting.

The XF functions like you would expect a camera in this class; crisp shutter release that works every time, relatively fast focus, solid ergo design. The UI is very intuitive.

IMHO, the XF is worth every penny of the upgrade price!

A major surprise, the 35 SK LS is SHARPer than hoped for. It will hold up well with the 32 HR, something I wouldn't have believed without doing tests myself.

Phase One has invested their R&D funds well.
    Glad to hear your happy with the investment. I'm anxiously still awaiting for mine from CI. Which focus screen did your XF come with?

Don

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Which focus screen did your XF come with?
    All focusing screens currently shipping are the DF+ style circle etching.

The new focusing screen which exactly matches the cascading rectangle areas of the XF focus system will ship in late September.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I can live with the older screen however not sure how much longer I can keep doing a sniper crawl. When are we going to see the WL released? I want it now!

Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I can live with the older screen however not sure how much longer I can keep doing a sniper crawl. When are we going to see the WL released? I want it now!

Slated for late September as well.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post
    Slated for late September as well.
    We received our first WLF demo unit today:
    https://instagram.com/p/6S8Khli55H/?...taltransitions

Deliveries for end users expected for late September.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

After a few hundred (well, many hundred actually!) frames on the XF/380, here what I like and don't like about the camera. Let me start by saying the "likes" far outweigh the "not so goods".

As many have already said, the UI and camera controls are just about perfect. After an hour or so shooting everything becomes totally intuitive and automatic. I like the grip and I like the way all the dials and buttons (except one - see below) fall to hand without having to eyeball them. I particularly like being able to change ISO without going into a menu.

The ability to operate the camera from the 380 screen is a godsend when shooting on a tripod at eye level. However, what I don't like is that, having shot a frame, you have to go back to the screen's Menu, select XF functions and the Camera Controls all over again. It's only three taps on the screen but I hope this can be delegated to one of the buttons on the body in due course. (Maybe there is a shortcut but I haven't found it!)

A minor gripe is the shutter release. It is so smoothly integrated into the body it can be hard to find by feel - especially, I suspect, with gloves on. On several occasions I've found my finger pressing the front of the grip instead of the release. I can see I'll apply a sticky "bump" of some sort for winter shooting. Another minor gripe is that the User Guide simply ignores a number of functions and how to achieve them - Hyperlocal Distance for example.

I'm pleased my old DF RRS bracket fits - but wish my old electronic release would too. I've been using the Vibration Release delay instead and I do like it.

My only other (even more minor) gripe is that you cannot use the viewfinder until the camera is turned on. I miss being able to check a scene and decide which lens is needed before turning on. For some reason the mirror is kept in the up position when the camera is off - unlike the DF when the mirror only went up when detaching the back. But as I've grown used to having to turn on my Sonys before I can see anything, I'm sure I'll get used to this pretty soon.

I love Focus Trim - a big reason I upgraded from the DF. I've tuned up all my lenses and most of them needed some offset to focus exactly at infinity wide open. Now I can rely on total accuracy at full aperture, though in truth I most often shoot a stop or two down. (With my DF I had to consult a chart I'd made showing where on the distance scale the lens really hit infinity.)

Finally, I'm pleased - and relieved - that the catches securing the back and the VF to the body are so much stiffer, spring loaded and rugged. My IQ180 fell off my DF into a river because the catch was too easily dislodged. That will be very hard to accomplish now!

There are some fascinating aspects to the camera that I suspect are for some future upgrades. For example, what are the four purplish LEDs over the screen (two on each side) on the 380?

Anyway, the bottom line is that the long wait for the XF was worth it. Now I'm going out to play with it in the dark to see how the 380 can handle very long exposures!
    Bill CB

www.billcaulfeild-browne.ca
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Halo All,

Can someone tell me about XF's new auto hyperfocal focusing? benefit, etc?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Dear DAn,

I have the XF camera, and can confirm that the hyper focal setting does not work correctly yet.

I have tried it together with the new SK35LS.

On setting of the hyper focal distance, the XF immediately indicate a failure of the leaf shutter in the SK35.

I contacted PhaseOne support about the problem and they advised me to not use the hyper focal setting for now.

I asked them about a more detailed manual for the XF, but they said that they may not issue a detailed manual, because most user dos not RTFM.

Below is the answer I got from PhaseOne support through my dealer:

"I have now reported thos to R&D for their closer inspection and comment.
    This can with the new camera be solved easily with firmware - for now leave it and don't user Hyperfocal.

For a manual - this is beeing considered and i cannot say yes or
    no if a manual will be made. Some love it and read it and others never read or use it."

And let me remind you this is a 60k$ camera/back/lens.

Even my Panasonic LX100 came with a manual.

Go figure!

Best regards

Trond

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm another failure at launching. It took me 4 DF+s to find a decent one, the first one was defective out of the box, 2nd and 3rd was focusing issue if I remember. The 4rd was fine so I bought it.

Amazing QC for the best and most expensive camera!!

Another reason I never buy from the 1st batch!

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Dan,

The XF Camera is just fantastic, so is the IQ380 and SK35LS lens.

Just a few minor firmware quirks that I am sur will be fixed in due time.

But not having a proper user manual for a product of this complexity wast configurability is just plain unbelievable!

Best regards

Trond

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in agreement with the sentiments regarding a lack of a good user manual. That aside and after using the XF now for close to a month with my IQ180 I can say that overall I'm very pleased.

So far I've been using this with 4-seperate lens and have encountered no problems. While it sucks that I can't plug in the wired remote to activate the shutter I'm surprised after a couple days I really don't miss it that much since the time release (or what ever its called) work great.

The viewfinder is sharp and bright, the controls on the LCD are bright and once you get used to them and develop your own workflow are equally good.

Its also nice to only have to pack one type of battery. And speaking of batteries; I've found just about a 2 to 1 ratio on power consumption with 2 batteries for the back to 1 on the XF. Your mileage may vary depending on your settings but for me and my 180 that's what I'm experiencing.

While it would have been nice to have all the things released at the same time it's by no means a deal breaker however I assume there will always be some who will complain. The focus mask and waist level viewer should be here soon; time will tell about the remote and manual. Actually for me I'm now uncertain if I'd spend the money on a remote when my current workflows works. As for the manual? That's a nice to have just to see what if anything I've missed.

My only pet peeve is what I consider firmware related between the 1, 2 and 3 series but that might get fixed as well; at least I hope.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Something I really like but did not mention in my earlier post is that when using MLU and 4 second Vibration delay with a leaf shutter lens, the mirror goes up along with the FP shutter opening - so the actual exposure is simply with the leaf shutter - no vibration, at least compared to the DF where the FP shutter only opened immediately before the LS thus leaving no time for vibration to die down.

A discernible difference when using the SK 240 LS.
    Bill CB

www.billcaulfeild-browne.ca

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Caulfeild-Browne View Post
    Something I really like but did not mention in my earlier post is that when using MLU and 4 second Vibration delay with a leaf shutter lens, the mirror goes up along with the FP shutter opening - so the actual exposure is simply with the leaf shutter - no vibration, at least compared to the DF where the FP shutter only opened immediately before the LS thus leaving no time for vibration to die down.

A discernible difference when using the SK 240 LS.
    Bill describes it so much better myself. I've used the same feature (although I still use 3-seconds) on the 40-80 and 75-150 LS lens as well as a 28D with great results. Haven't tried it yet on the 240 but need to soon and will use the 2x just to see how it works.

In the end the XF is a body that was well worth the wait.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trond View Post
    Dear Dan,

The XF Camera is just fantastic, so is the IQ380 and SK35LS lens.

Just a few minor firmware quirks that I am sur will be fixed in due time.

But not having a proper user manual for a product of this complexity wast configurability is just plain unbelievable!

Best regards

Trond
    I hear you on product manuals. I rented the 35 LS and 120 LS this week and was in a panic because autofocus did not work with my DF+. Luckily Steve Hendrix from Capture Integration is always a text away and saved the day by explaining autofocus is push pull feature on these lenses. No where can I find any documentation on phases website . Did not mean to be off topic just reinforcing a lack of documentation from P1...Ciao

Don
    Last edited by aztwang; 30th August 2015 at 21:43.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Then there's the push pull focal length lock on zooms....
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Another observation, this time for the IQ380. It seems to me that ISO 200 is cleaner, more noise-free than it was on the IQ180. Unfortunately I don't have the 180 any more (traded for the 380) so I can't do a direct comparison.

I rarely used anything higher than ISO 100 on the IQ180 because of the noise, but I'm happily using ISO 200 on the IQ380 when I have to hand-hold the camera.

Or is it C1 8 doing a better job of the raw files now?

Anybody else noticed this or is it just a subjective impression without any merit?

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Is anyone aware of a full manual for the XF being offered yet?

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Smoothjazz View Post
    Is anyone aware of a full manual for the XF being offered yet?

John
    Yes the manuals are HERE and also there have been a series of overview videos produced and available HERE.

Lance
    LANCE SCHAD - Digital Transitions - Phase One,Mamiya | Leaf,Arca-Swiss,Cambo, Profoto
    direct/cell:610-496-5586 office:877-367-8537x224
    http://www.digitaltransitions.com email:[email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

any update for the hyperlocal feature?

Thanks,
    Dan

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Santoso View Post
    Any update for the hyperlocal feature?
    No new firmware has been released since the launch of the XF.

However, good things are coming pretty soon .

Post Thanks / Like

Doug,
    Could you clear up something please. previous regarding the sale Hasselblad several people chimed in and saying that P1 could benefit from purchasing them as they could have the true focus technology. I believe I saw in a previous post where a dealer chimed in saying that the true focus was not a patented Technology and you had commented early on if a similar feature to that of a true focus was wanted buy new XF buyers that they should pass there wants on to dealers so that P1 would be aware of the demand. It came across as P1 could actually develop the same technology through the Gyro scope and accelerometer on the XF without challenging patent laws. Is this actual factual?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Doug. Can you give us some info on whats coming? And when?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

This might be a reference to the waist level viewer and focus screen both of which are a little overdue...

- - - Updated - - -

And maybe a wired shutter release since the older one no longer fits/works on the XF.
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sadly, the XF camera itself is a little overdue for many folks!!.

Makes me wonder what is going on.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    Sadly, the XF camera itself is a little overdue for many folks!!.

Makes me wonder what is going on.

Paul

Early on there were some packaging issues that became clearer after initial dealer shipments. This brought on a period of delay for roughly 4 weeks before any customer orders began in any quantity. That period was needed to make sure the issue was resolved, which it was. Since then shipments have been steady, but low volume. At this point it is simply a matter of many orders and a relatively hands-on process for assembly that restricts how many can be churned out - in a given month, for example. Nothing more than that going on.

Steve Hendrix
    Capture Integration

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Steve, any idea on the WL?
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Steve, any idea on the WL?

Oh ...... I'm better at past and present confirmations than future speculations. Which is why I am not i the financial consulting industry (well, one reason, anyway).

But I am hearing rumblings that those who have orders placed will start to see some movement soon. But ... as with all brand new products that begin shipping, expect low quantities for a while. I know one thing, if one wants a waist level finder, until they place their order, the time it takes for them to get one will only increase!

Steve Hendrix
    Capture Integration

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hendrix View Post
    Oh ...... I'm better at past and present confirmations than future speculations. Which is why I am not i the financial consulting industry (well, one reason, anyway).

But I am hearing rumblings that those who have orders placed will start to see some movement soon. But ... as with all brand new products that begin shipping, expect low quantities for a while. I know one thing, if one wants a waist level finder, until they place their order, the time it takes for them to get one will only increase!

Steve Hendrix
    Capture Integration

Attachment 113100
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Santoso View Post
    Thanks Doug. Can you give us some info on whats coming? And when?
    I'm sure you understand I can't comment on unannounced features.

But maybe if you catch me after a few whiskey's at our 12-year Photo Plus Kickoff party... https://www.digitaltransitions.com/e...off-party-2015

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Doug,
    Could you clear up something please. previous regarding the sale Hasselblad several people chimed in and saying that P1 could benefit from purchasing them as they could have the true focus technology. I believe I saw in a previous post where a dealer chimed in saying that the true focus was not a patented Technology and you had commented early on if a similar feature to that of a true focus was wanted buy new XF buyers that they should pass there wants on to dealers so that P1 would be aware of the demand. It came across as P1 could actually develop the same technology through the Gyro scope and accelerometer on the XF without challenging patent laws. Is this actual factual?
    You'd have to ask a patent lawyer. Seriously; I have no idea how expansive or limited their patent is and how different a competing feature would have to be before it is considered not to infringe. I assume the basic trigonometry can't be patented; that's 7th grade math. But even that is an assumption. You might as well ask me about Roberts Rules of Order.

But I can say the following things with certainty:
    - Phase One is aware that in some specific situations (static model, static photographer, wide lens, large recomposition, wide aperture) focus and recompose doesn't nail focus
    - There is a lot of technology in the XF that is not currently in use
    - There are a lot of cool ideas at headquarters about what can be done with the technology in the XF platform

To be clear I think it's only right/fair/safe to buy things based on what they can offer today. If a feature or a capability is vital to your needs/wants you should take with huge heaps of salt any claim/promise/rumor/hint about future capabilities. But to be equally clear: if you have features/capabilities that are vital to your interest in the XF which the XF does not currently have you should absolutely share that with your dealer to share with Phase One (or if you lack a dealer you can make a support case at phaseone.com with your request). Such requests (in their totality) are absolutely listened to when Phase One sets development priorities.

Post Thanks / Like

Doug,

Is the $2000 trade in df+ to xf still available?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Officially that ended on 08/31/15, not to say that a dealer can't work out a "deal" on such a trade however.

Paul