The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

V-mount query

satybhat

Hi folks,

I'm back after a long, long time. (multiple reasons: health, business, family - no point in digressing).
SO I have recently shot with a 500CM hassy with film and was quite addicted.

My commercial requirements to keep the phase kit are now completed (great while it lasted, although the XF would have been good 3 years ago). So now I am considering changing the Phase mount IQ280 to a V-mount 280. A capture one preset would crop on import itself. These days, I mainly shoot with velvia / acros and am completely in favour of the square format. Well, one thing led to another and I thought instead of having the back sit there and depreciate, I might as well put it to some use on the trips that I take my V-kit along anyways.

Once again, this is a purely aesthetic / art-workflow based decision that has no commercial connotations. As such, I am pretty sure that some chaps might think it won't be worth it in their own frames of references. I would love to hear their opinions regardless !!

Any known issues that the wise folk here would advise me about?
Any tips and tricks for anyone else likely to follow suit?

Gracias !!

satybhat

Bump!
So has anyone use one?

Hi folks,

I'm back after a long, long time. (multiple reasons: health, business, family - no point in digressing).

My commercial requirements to keep the phase kit are now completed (great while it lasted, although the XF would have been good 3 years ago). So now I am considering changing the Phase mount IQ280 to a V-mount 280. A capture one preset would crop on import itself. These days, I mainly shoot with velvia / acros and am completely in favour of the square format. Well, one thing led to another and I thought instead of having the back sit there and depreciate, I might as well put it to some use on the trips that I take my V-kit along anyways.

Once again, this is a purely aesthetic / art-workflow based decision that has no commercial connotations. As such, I am pretty sure that some chaps might think it won't be worth it in their own frames of references. I would love to hear their opinions regardless !!

Gracias !!

archivue

hum... i was in love with my 503CW and my 501CM as well, i had all the best glass... but i had to sell all of it, because it was too difficult to focus properly... even with 22 aptus or P45+ !

I have a lot of reason to believe that with a 80MP it becomes impossible to be perfectly sure of your focus precision !

unless you will use it with live view (not really easy with a V ), or linked with the computer... i won't go that way !

i still regret my hassy, but let's face the reality...

satybhat

Thanks for taking the time to reply, Archivue.

WRT focussing issues, I kind of blind focus - guesstimate with the Alpa kit anyway. Anything without live view basically comes in as an estimation, even when using a leica disto and an HPF ring.
Would not using a higher aperture reasonably make a difference?
Getting the kit this weekend, so will be able to pen down my observations here.
Thanks

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

I am a quite happy user of a 555/ELD with a P45+ back...

Lenses are 40/4 FLE, Distagon 60/3.5 CF, Planar 100/3.5 CF, Planar 120/CFi and Sonnar 180/4 CFi.

For focusing I use a PM5 viewfinder with a Zeiss 3X monocular.

Happy to answer any questions...

Best regards
Erik

Hi folks,

Gracias !!

richardman

Please keep us informed. I am loving my 203FE and if money falls from sky, I would love an IQ280 !

Not interested in tech cam, because I think in the end, the 4x5 serves that need. I process my own film so the cost is not bad at all.

schuster

I am delighted with an IQ160 on the 503CW and ArcBody. Regarding the CW... use a tripod and cable release, and release the mirror before the shutter for maximum apparent sharpness.