The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica S (007) starts career at significantly lower price...

T.Dascalos

Not Available
......All I am saying is that as far as the S series camera goes - I have no interest in high ISO performance - I wouldn't use it for that. The S system sings in fat light and Studio work - and that is what I use it for.....

-Pete
Sorry Peter... where is it written that "the S system sings in fat light and Studio work"? ...and that one sould use a DSLR for LL photography? ...I have no such a book saying that and I don't see the reason why if an MF system does LL as well (or better) than a DSLR not to use it instead... I also have no book that insists that people should invest on two different systems (DSLR & MF) if one can "cover" the other... Especially if the bulk/size is similar....

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
You make me laugh Jono..Show some shots you made with the big boy.
Peter,

Seen them!

They are consistently wonderful ....

Not that old guys like us need to use ISO 3200 ... By that point of the day I tend to be
three sheets to the wind and trying to find a comfortable place of recline.

Disclaimer... I may jump to the CMOS 007 ... colors look very close to the OO6

Bob

PeterA

Sorry Peter... where is it written that "the S system sings in fat light and Studio work"? ...and that one sould use a DSLR for LL photography? ...I have no such a book saying that and I don't see the reason why if an MF system does LL as well (or better) than a DSLR not to use it instead... I also have no book that insists that people should invest on two different systems (DSLR & MF) if one can "cover" the other... Especially if the bulk/size is similar....
This is a very very funny post - thanks!

PeterA

Peter,

Seen them!

They are consistently wonderful ....

Not that old guys like us need to use ISO 3200 ... By that point of the day I tend to be
three sheets to the wind and trying to find a comfortable place of recline.

Disclaimer... I may jump to the CMOS 007 ... colors look very close to the OO6

Bob
Oh Johnno has been a sneaky poster has he?:bugeyes:
I don't know Bob - I think I will keep my old S2 until it just dies one day ...very tempted to add the super wide and the 100 - but I'm getting great mileage out of an FE 110/2 via adaptor on the S2 for portrait shots, in fact the S2 gave all my 'modern' Hasselblad lenses a new lease of life - especially the 40 IFE - and dare I say - 7K or whatever buys a lot of diesel for my farm machinery or tooling for my machines ....I think I ran out of GAS years ago - can't see much difference in print after PP from one decent camera to another these days...haven't bothered to move to the M240 - still plugging away on my M9 and Monochrome( favourite favourite camera for happy snaps btw) - will stay with M for as long as I can focus my Nocti wide open but the eyes aren't getting any younger thats for sure.
Good t see you are still around.

-Pete

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Oh Johnno has been a sneaky poster has he?:bugeyes:
I don't know Bob - I think I will keep my old S2 until it just dies one day ...very tempted to add the super wide and the 100 - but I'm getting great mileage out of an FE 110/2 via adaptor on the S2 for portrait shots, in fact the S2 gave all my 'modern' Hasselblad lenses a new lease of life - especially the 40 IFE - and dare I say - 7K or whatever buys a lot of diesel for my farm machinery or tooling for my machines ....I think I ran out of GAS years ago - can't see much difference in print after PP from one decent camera to another these days...haven't bothered to move to the M240 - still plugging away on my M9 and Monochrome( favourite favourite camera for happy snaps btw) - will stay with M for as long as I can focus my Nocti wide open but the eyes aren't getting any younger thats for sure.
Good t see you are still around.

-Pete
No he respects the confidence of Leica as a trusted tester ....

Here are some released shots from Leica SF which you may or not have seen>

The Leica S Typ 007: An Introduction and Review | LeicaSphere

After the fiasco of no focus with a 70 on a new S006 I am opting for the M246 with one lens....

Life is too short to play the ad mans upgrade game.

Looking forward to anything that allows my consciousness to keep up with the technology advances....

Bob

Last edited:

Shashin

Sorry - where exactly did I say that there is only one way to do photography - I can't see how you could extract that from what I typed?
From your post:

What is it with people's interest in high ISO these days? - just don't get it. I mean seriously??? Who cares what the noise level is at 800 let alone 3200 I've got the original S2 I think I have used it one stop above baseline ...maybe once
Some people do care about high ISOs. You seem to imply that you just keep the ISO low and there is no point in doing something else.

PeterA

From your post:

Some people do care about high ISOs. You seem to imply that you just keep the ISO low and there is no point in doing something else.
I '"seem to imply" and then you go on with more made up stories to suit your straw man argument in the first place?

I won't use my S2 for high ISO shooting I use it for what it was designed to do as a great studio camera and secondly as an occasional walk around in FAT bright sunlight. The S2 is crap above 640 ISO. If I am going to need higher ISO I choose something different.

What I do object to is misinformation spread y non photographers like Mr Reichman and MR Lloyd - internet scammers who have built businesses- from encouraging sillies to become pixel peeping voyeurs - savants in the field of toatally useless information and carriers of permanent anxiety syndromes surrounding what issues may be appearing at 300X magnification or at ISO 100,000

-Pete

Shashin

I '"seem to imply" and then you go on with more made up stories to suit your straw man argument in the first place?

I won't use my S2 for high ISO shooting I use it for what it was designed to do as a great studio camera and secondly as an occasional walk around in FAT bright sunlight. The S2 is crap above 640 ISO. If I am going to need higher ISO I choose something different.

What I do object to is misinformation spread y non photographers like Mr Reichman and MR Lloyd - internet scammers who have built businesses- from encouraging sillies to become pixel peeping voyeurs - savants in the field of toatally useless information and carriers of permanent anxiety syndromes surrounding what issues may be appearing at 300X magnification or at ISO 100,000

-Pete
Wow. My mistake.

But I am glad you don't resort to strawman fallacies. Or even making up stories to suit those arguments. Always nice to see such levelheaded reasoning on the web.

T.Dascalos

Not Available
It seems to me that no S007s have been shipped to customers yet... Only price announcements and reports from different photographers that where given to test pre production models...

RVB

It seems to me that no S007s have been shipped to customers yet... Only price announcements and reports from different photographers that where given to test pre production models...
No surprise given that the official release date is august 31st,I'm waiting on one.

Rob

Hulyss Bowman

Performance or not, me just want smaller lenses because it ain't practical. The camera itself is ok in size but with lenses + sunshade ... it start to represent a certain volume. Leica midgetized 35mm lenses for M system (and they are manual focus) I would like midgetized S lenses, Manual focus of course.

I do not know when the 007 will land near me but sure my dealer will lend it to me for an afternoon in town, as usual. Can't wait.

On a table it ain't small at all, on the shoulder it ain't comfortable at all (with the 70 so Imagine with the 120...).

RVB

Has diglloyd found a fundamentally bad aspect to the camera or obscure earth shattering fault yet? I'm waiting to hear ... He'll find something I'm sure. :facesmack:

Just kidding of course!

I used the predecessor on a few occasions and really loved the system but I'm too invested in Phase One glass to change the MF DSLR side of my gear.
It didn't take long.. ;) diglloyd: Sony A7R II: the EVF (and why Canon and Nikon suck and are clueless about what is useful)

T.Dascalos

Not Available
It still is the smallest (in size) than any other "MF" (meaning with sensor larger than 35mm film)... isn't it? And the lenses aren't bulkier than direct competition...

M

mjr

Do people actually pay money to read stuff like that?? I can't comprehend how anyone could read anything written in that style and then take the reviews as anything other than utter nonsense! I have never paid for someone's opinion, reading that passage justifies it for me, pointless.

Mat