The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

(digital) WA choice for Mamiya AFD

Peter_S

Hi!

I am looking for a wide-angle (manual focus) lens for my Mamiya AFD. I use a Kodak Pro Back, so there is crop, and most choices will end up being moderate wide-angles or normal focus lengths. I looked at
- 55 mm f/2.8; Seems like a solid performer, sharp, but a tad a bit tight FOV.
- 45 mm f/2.8; Seems somewhere between the 55 mm and the 45 mm, not just in FOV, but also performance.
- 35 mm f/3.5; I read a lot about limited corner/edge performance. Now...how much is that still an issue on a crop sensor and an old back with limited resolution? I would like the focal length and they are reasonably priced.

24mm Fisheye...read only good things. Priced OK in the US, over here in Europe very pricy.

What about the Pentax 67 lenses with an adapter? Anything I should consider?

I know much has been said about these lenses, but mostly for full-frame coverage, and I know that bad reputations spread quickly on the net ("the 35mm is bad").

Perhaps anyone here has real-world experience with the lenses on crop sensors? I spend a lot of time in the winter in Norway, so open-lens performance is important.

I am mostly using the 110mm f/2.8 right now. Anything as sharp would be fine. Personal reference in moderate wide-angle performance for me is the Zeiss Contax Biogon G 21mm on film, ZM 25mm on the M8 and Leica X1 in digital.

Thanks in advance,
Peter

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I used the 35mm D with the DCS645M. Crop helped for corner softness avoidance, although not 100%. It also depends on your subject matter too whether the corner performance is an issue at all.

24mm fish eye is good but you really really need to see/use one in person because they are, conservatively speaking, frickin' huge. Also, it's ultimately a fish eye ...

kdphotography

I think the Phase 35mm D is a better performer than its internet reputation would suggest. And that's really too bad as I have many great images using this lens on a Phase P30---some of the images span six feet long and are tack sharp. Go figure. :) No doubt the new SK 35mm LS is better, but it's also a $6K lens. Same thing with the 28mm D---after corrections it really is not a bad lens at all.

I don't think you'll have an issue with using these lenses with a 645M. Having the latest generation MFDB also cuts the other way, meaning having to spend more money on the best lenses. With the 645M and older MFDBs, your selection of lenses really is broader.

ken

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
As per Ken, the 35D sucks ... ok, no, it doesn't suck at all although an internet search would tell you how bad it is.

The best I could manage with were these. It's horrible - both 40in prints btw :D

IQ260 & 35D

DCS645M & 35D

synn

Incredible images, Graham. Thanks vof sharing. :)

Basically, I echo the kind sentiments shared here about the 35mm. It's a far better lens than the internet gives it credit for. But at the same time, I am glad that it is that way. Helped me pick mine up for a pittance :D

I use a 44x33 sensor back (Credo 40), so the corners are pretty decent for my use. The little softness I see can be cured in Capture One Pro with the lens correction module.

Here is a full res sample if you want to Pixel peep. Straight outta C1P

(Right click-> View original)

In practice, I find it plenty sharp and has very good contrast. Sure, it's no Schneider 35 LS, but for what it goes for in the used market, it's a steal.

AlexeyDanilchenko

- 35 mm f/3.5; I read a lot about limited corner/edge performance. Now...how much is that still an issue on a crop sensor and an old back with limited resolution? I would like the focal length and they are reasonably priced.

I know much has been said about these lenses, but mostly for full-frame coverage, and I know that bad reputations spread quickly on the net ("the 35mm is bad").
Peter, I use 35mm AF lens with ProBack. It is mostly good (not as sharp as Mamiya 80mm AF) but sharp enough when stopped to f/8 and on. Having used it I can say it is plenty sharp but you it has a certain DOF curvature which may make center sharp and corners/sides OOF at a distance. This has happened to me a few times when I thought it focussed on infinity but it was not. The AF on it is quite fast as well compatring to 80mm one. I so get used to it and it is my main walkabout lens.

What about the Pentax 67 lenses with an adapter? Anything I should consider?
I used Pentax 67 45mm on Mamiya ProBack with adapter - great lens, super sharp even wide open.

A few samples.

35mm AF (some clickable):

Pentax67 45mm:

Peter_S

Hi!

Thank you all for the useful responses and the great (some really brilliant) images - if I can produce anything like that with the lens I end up getting, I would be more than happy!!
The 35mm looks suffiently good, certainly, and I will keep out an eye for it. I may get an 55mm in the meanwhile and see how I like it. That 45 mm Pentax looks interesting, Alexey. I am trying to figure out the equivalent focal length that ends up being on the Pro Back. How is the FOV compared to the Mamiya 35 mm? The crop should be around 1.8 (60x70 --> Pro Backs 36x36)

AlexeyDanilchenko

That 45 mm Pentax looks interesting, Alexey. I am trying to figure out the equivalent focal length that ends up being on the Pro Back. How is the FOV compared to the Mamiya 35 mm? The crop should be around 1.8 (60x70 --> Pro Backs 36x36)
It's the same FOV as Mamiya 45mm or any other 45mm. On ProBack 36x36mm it will be slightly wider than 45mm on a full frame.

Peter_S

Hi Christian!

Yes, I saw that, but a little late I admit. I was looking more for info on the non-AF versions, but certainly appreciate the feedback on the 35mm AF, and also the 45mm Pentax.
Moreover, I enjoy the example photos :)

weinlamm

Ok. I only can help you with somethings from me.

35mm MF vs. AF (my AF-version is the Phase One)
http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-...ya-system-35mm-af-vs-mf-bokeh.html#post514778

45mm:
I have the AF, non-D-version and for me it's really fine. Some guys here told it's not good enough - but for me it's really fine (but never tested a newer version or a MF).

55mm:
Never had one.

From ground and my experiences I would recommend to use the latest version of a lens - every time. Nearly in every system it's a step up. But I think if you shoot for hobby and it's not your profession, you can sometimes go a step back to get the best for your money.

Peter_S

Hi again!
Thanks, Christian! That 35mm link is helpful, as I still think of getting a 35mm.

I just bought a 55mm - it was too cheap to resist and is a good addition, covering the normal FOV on my AFD.
I will post samples once I have some (-:

Best, Peter