The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad v with Aptus MFDB. What 90 degree finders fit?

Red735i

There is much contrasting information available. There are/were the following different 90 degree prism finders made:
HC1; HC3-70; HC4; RM-2, PM90; and PME90

This is a Hasselblad V series body. The Aptus back is specifically an Aptus 65, but as far as I can tell, all Aptus backs have identical size specs.

Does anyone have first hand information as to which fit or which do not fit?

As far as I see it, the issues are:
The back can not be installed because the finder interferes with the back or the release latch will not work with the back
The length of the eye tube is too short and the person's eye can not get close enough to make the the solution practically useful.

Thanks for your inputs

Frank

Red735i

Here are some hard facts....
The RM2 prism finder eye tube measures 4 1/8 inches from the back of the camera plate to the end of the eye tube.
The Leaf Aptus 65 measures 2 1/2 inches thick.
An A12 film back, a modern one with the film box retention holder, measures 2 1/8 inches thick.

The "ideal" tube length would be 1/2 to 3/4 inch or a bit more than the thickness of the back.... I think that would allow for some "nose room".

It may prove that the standard 90 degree prism finder ( the ones with the eye tube, not the PM nor PME types) may be the best/closest fit.....

That would mean the HC4 MIGHT be the best choice......
If anyone has a HC4 Prism, and could make a quick measurement, it would assist me greatly.....

Note.. I am worried about the release catch on the Leaf back. Therefore the HC1, PM90, etc, have not been considered... too much other stuff to figure out..... for now....

More to come, I hope......

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
When I shot with my 503CXi and CFV back combination I definitely found the 72534 Magnifying Hood Finder DPS necessary to get accurate focus. It's a chimney style vs normal prism but if you want to focus accurately on the GG then this'll do the job.

(If you need one let me know as I have two sitting in my "stuff I probably should sell" bin ... )