The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Please Help In Choosing Right Equipment For Tethering

rollsman44

I am not sure sure which way to go with this. I am trying to lay out the Min. Expense to do this. I have a Sony Laptop I can use or Buy a Tablet/ or ?? instead. I have the Cable for the camera to tether( Hasselblad H4D-40 ) I will be using Phocus Software Also, if you can recommend where to purchase them NEW or USED. I won't be using it a lot just occasionally . Thank you,

jagsiva

I would go with a tablet that can run a full OS, so you're limited to Windows tablets.

Surface 3 is great, but the Surface 4 scheduled to be out in October is likely to be thinner and fanless. I think the rumoured Dell XPS 12 will also be a great tablet with a good keyboard option and likely the stellar 4K screen they have on the XPS 13 laptop. I'm hoping the XPS 12 has minimal bezels like the laptop as well.

Alleged Dell XPS 12 Tablet Details Leaked | Ubergizmo

Ipad Pro was a bit of a disappointment with IOS an no OSX.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
You would need a tablet compatible with FireWire. I'm not aware of any.

The threads you may have seen on this site about using tablets for MFD tethering are using Team Phase One backs (IQ3/IQ2/IQ1/Credo) which have modern USB3 ports (backwards compatible with USB2) as well as legacy FireWire ports.

narikin

The threads you may have seen on this site about using tablets for MFD tethering are using Team Phase One backs (IQ3/IQ2/IQ1/Credo) which have modern USB3 ports (backwards compatible with USB2) as well as legacy FireWire ports.

Fujitsu convertible laptop-tablets have built in Firewire ports. Or the models 5 years ago did. Cheap on eBay now. Full windows laptops with touch screen.

It's a mini f/w port built in, for what that's worth, but I tethered my p65+ to them very succesfully.
you can put a full port in the PCMCIA slot with the right card, if you must have full size Firewire.

I've written about these before, do a search for that thread.

synn

Your options are limited because your back only tethers via firewire.

A thin and light laptop that has an Xpresscard slot (That will take a Firewire expansion card) is pretty much the only option you have, unless you want to go for a macbook with a firewire to Thunderbolt adapter (which also necessitates additional hardware as the TB port doesn't have enough power).

jagsiva

The Dell is rumoured to have Thunderbolt so may have the option of going Thunderbolt --> Firewire similar to the Retina MBP (which I have used successfully on P1 backs). Again, we will have to wait and see over the next month when these things get released and tested.

jerome_m

Your options are limited because your back only tethers via firewire.

A thin and light laptop that has an Xpresscard slot (That will take a Firewire expansion card) is pretty much the only option you have, unless you want to go for a macbook with a firewire to Thunderbolt adapter (which also necessitates additional hardware as the TB port doesn't have enough power).
I tether my Hasselblad H4D without trouble on a MacBook Air via the Thunderbolt adapter.

kdphotography

Macbook Air with Thunderbolt adapter seems to be the easiest option.

But Dennis, you do deserve a new USB3 enabled IQ/Credo MFDB! ;)