Site Sponsors

Thread: Please Help In Choosing Right Equipment For Tethering

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Please Help In Choosing Right Equipment For Tethering

I am not sure sure which way to go with this. I am trying to lay out the Min. Expense to do this. I have a Sony Laptop I can use or Buy a Tablet/ or ?? instead. I have the Cable for the camera to tether( Hasselblad H4D-40 ) I will be using Phocus Software Also, if you can recommend where to purchase them NEW or USED. I won't be using it a lot just occasionally . Thank you,

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Please Help In Choosing Right Equipment For Tethering

I would go with a tablet that can run a full OS, so you're limited to Windows tablets.

Surface 3 is great, but the Surface 4 scheduled to be out in October is likely to be thinner and fanless. I think the rumoured Dell XPS 12 will also be a great tablet with a good keyboard option and likely the stellar 4K screen they have on the XPS 13 laptop. I'm hoping the XPS 12 has minimal bezels like the laptop as well.

Alleged Dell XPS 12 Tablet Details Leaked | Ubergizmo

Ipad Pro was a bit of a disappointment with IOS an no OSX.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

How often do they change the Tablets ??? Obsolete in 6 mos. WOW I will check these out. Thank you very much

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You would need a tablet compatible with FireWire. I'm not aware of any.

The threads you may have seen on this site about using tablets for MFD tethering are using Team Phase One backs (IQ3/IQ2/IQ1/Credo) which have modern USB3 ports (backwards compatible with USB2) as well as legacy FireWire ports.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post

The threads you may have seen on this site about using tablets for MFD tethering are using Team Phase One backs (IQ3/IQ2/IQ1/Credo) which have modern USB3 ports (backwards compatible with USB2) as well as legacy FireWire ports.

Fujitsu convertible laptop-tablets have built in Firewire ports. Or the models 5 years ago did. Cheap on eBay now. Full windows laptops with touch screen.

It's a mini f/w port built in, for what that's worth, but I tethered my p65+ to them very succesfully.
    you can put a full port in the PCMCIA slot with the right card, if you must have full size Firewire.

I've written about these before, do a search for that thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Your options are limited because your back only tethers via firewire.

A thin and light laptop that has an Xpresscard slot (That will take a Firewire expansion card) is pretty much the only option you have, unless you want to go for a macbook with a firewire to Thunderbolt adapter (which also necessitates additional hardware as the TB port doesn't have enough power).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post

The Dell is rumoured to have Thunderbolt so may have the option of going Thunderbolt --> Firewire similar to the Retina MBP (which I have used successfully on P1 backs). Again, we will have to wait and see over the next month when these things get released and tested.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by synn View Post
    Your options are limited because your back only tethers via firewire.

A thin and light laptop that has an Xpresscard slot (That will take a Firewire expansion card) is pretty much the only option you have, unless you want to go for a macbook with a firewire to Thunderbolt adapter (which also necessitates additional hardware as the TB port doesn't have enough power).
    I tether my Hasselblad H4D without trouble on a MacBook Air via the Thunderbolt adapter.

Post Thanks / Like

Macbook Air with Thunderbolt adapter seems to be the easiest option.

But Dennis, you do deserve a new USB3 enabled IQ/Credo MFDB!