Site Sponsors

Thread: Leica S or Hassy H4d-40

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Leica S or Hassy H4d-40

Any pros and cons with these 2 ? I like them both and would like your opinion. Mainly shoot portraits and Family portraits. Thank you

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Leica S or Hassy H4d-40

I guess the an important factor for me would be whether the 3:2 or 4:3 aspect ratio works better.

Post Thanks / Like

true focus on the hassy may be beneficial depending on your shooting style

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I owned both (H4D/40 and Leica S2P) … and used both concurently for about a year: Weddings/Portraits/Fashion/Commercial-Studio. The reason I used both for a while was that I was vested in the H system and had both a H4D/40 and H4D/60 before trying the S as a possible new kit.

I'll start by saying that you can't go wrong with either… however, in the end I moved totally to the Leica S System.

The primary reason was that the S is a dual shutter camera and the H is not. Dual shutter using the Leica CS leaf-shutter lenses allows me to work with lighting up to 1/1000 sync (Profoto AIR) … or with a flip of a switch use the S camera's focal plane shutter up to 1/4000. The H system is strictly a leaf-shutter camera that tops out at 1/800 with or without lighting, and that can be limiting when trying to use faster apertures to isolate the subject in brighter outdoor ambient lighting.

The S is also easier to pack and carry for location work … and in most cases offers faster maximum aperture lenses which I prefer for most people work. Obviously, the exception to this is the Hasselblad HC-100/2.2, but now Leica has the S-100/2 for that sort of application.

From an image quality perspective the H4D/40 and S2 were very close, with the edge going to the Leica which I believe was due to the S lenses. The different aspect ratios didn't really make much difference in real world applications.

The H4D/40 does have the True Focus, Absolute Position Lock (APL) feature which is simply the best off-center auto-focus seem there is IMO. Another strength of the H kit is working in the Phocus software which squeezes out more quality from the Hasselblad files, and is great for when working tethered to a computer. Unfortunately, the tether is FW800 which is fast disappearing from computers.

You didn't mention which S model you are considering. If it is the new S(007) then I think it is a no brainer.

S(007) is a MUCH faster camera, and has a greater dynamic range than the H4D/40 … and would be superb for the applications you outlined IMO. The S(007) is now USB-3, and is probably significantly faster than the H4D/40 when working tethered to a computer (depending on how the computer is configured). I also like that Leica RAW is DNG, and the files and lenses are profiled in Adobe LightRoom (which I use for all my other cameras). The H files can be imported to LR and are also profiled as are all the H lenses … but for the best IQ are better when processed in Phocus … IF you want to learn another software.

Draw back of the Leica is the same as any Leica product … the lenses are expensive if bought new (with fewer CS lenses coming up for sale compared to the H system), so it is easier to find used HC or HCD lenses for the H4D/40 at relatively decent prices (key word: relatively). However, one doesn't move to MFD to turn around and start making compromises

Ask any additional questions that come to mind because … "I've been there, done that".

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    I owned both (H4D/40 and Leica S2P) … and used both concurently for about a year: Weddings/Portraits/Fashion/Commercial-Studio. The reason I used both for a while was that I was vested in the H system and had both a H4D/40 and H4D/60 before trying the S as a possible new kit.

I'll start by saying that you can't go wrong with either… however, in the end I moved totally to the Leica S System.

The primary reason was that the S is a dual shutter camera and the H is not. Dual shutter using the Leica CS leaf-shutter lenses allows me to work with lighting up to 1/1000 sync (Profoto AIR) … or with a flip of a switch use the S camera's focal plane shutter up to 1/4000. The H system is strictly a leaf-shutter camera that tops out at 1/800 with or without lighting, and that can be limiting when trying to use faster apertures to isolate the subject in brighter outdoor ambient lighting.

The S is also easier to pack and carry for location work … and in most cases offers faster maximum aperture lenses which I prefer for most people work. Obviously, the exception to this is the Hasselblad HC-100/2.2, but now Leica has the S-100/2 for that sort of application.

From an image quality perspective the H4D/40 and S2 were very close, with the edge going to the Leica which I believe was due to the S lenses. The different aspect ratios didn't really make much difference in real world applications.

The H4D/40 does have the True Focus, Absolute Position Lock (APL) feature which is simply the best off-center auto-focus seem there is IMO. Another strength of the H kit is working in the Phocus software which squeezes out more quality from the Hasselblad files, and is great for when working tethered to a computer. Unfortunately, the tether is FW800 which is fast disappearing from computers.

You didn't mention which S model you are considering. If it is the new S(007) then I think it is a no brainer.

S(007) is a MUCH faster camera, and has a greater dynamic range than the H4D/40 … and would be superb for the applications you outlined IMO. The S(007) is now USB-3, and is probably significantly faster than the H4D/40 when working tethered to a computer (depending on how the computer is configured). I also like that Leica RAW is DNG, and the files and lenses are profiled in Adobe LightRoom (which I use for all my other cameras). The H files can be imported to LR and are also profiled as are all the H lenses … but for the best IQ are better when processed in Phocus … IF you want to learn another software.

Draw back of the Leica is the same as any Leica product … the lenses are expensive if bought new (with fewer CS lenses coming up for sale compared to the H system), so it is easier to find used HC or HCD lenses for the H4D/40 at relatively decent prices (key word: relatively). However, one doesn't move to MFD to turn around and start making compromises

Ask any additional questions that come to mind because … "I've been there, done that".

- Marc
    Hi Marc, you explained just what I needed to know. I will stick to the H4d and use Phocus. I appreciate all the info you gave me.
    Thank you rolls man
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post