Site Sponsors

Thread: Hasselblad CFV-50c to Sell at $9995 During 4Q15

Post Thanks / Like

Hasselblad CFV-50c to Sell at $9995 During 4Q15

Hasselblad-Bron will be running a promotion from October 1st through the end of the year... the CFV-50c, previously priced at $15,500 will go for $9,995.

As a three-week-old owner I couldn't be more pleased with the back. Other than having paid $15.5K!

Highly recommended...
    Jeff

www.jeffhughesphoto.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hasselblad CFV-50c to Sell at $9995 During 4Q15

I just got the email from them about this. Hasselblad/Bron said the pricing is good Oct 1st-Dec 30th. I'm sure this will interest some of you here.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That's a killer deal. Add a Cambo Actus DB and a lens and you could be up and running with a great platform for under $15k all in.

Btw, do you have a link to the announcement? I didn't see anything on the Hasselblad/Bron website.
    Last edited by GrahamWelland; 29th September 2015 at 10:22.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Btw, do you have a link to the announcement? I didn't see anything on the Hasselblad/Bron website.
    The announcement was made in Hasselblad's newsletter, sent via email.

This link HERE should render the text of the announcement, though the URL is missing the embedded picture (of the CFV attached to a 500-series body).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Got the info from my dealer now, too.

But one short question:
    Is it possible to use this back with a technical Cam (like my Cambo)?

I know it's possible to shoot with an Actus:
    https://cambouk.wordpress.com/2015/0...lblad-cfv-50c/

But is it possible to shoot with 1000/1200/1250 Cambo? I could remember, that there was something... The guys from Hasselblad had told me something at Photokina last year... Need a modification?
    But it's so long ago and I had forgotten and can't found to the fast here.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There is no problem mounting the CFV-50c on Cambo tech cams that I'm aware of. In fact it's the same adapter plate.

You may have been thinking about Hasselblad H mount backs that needed an external battery pack?

The CFV backs have their battery underneath the back. You will need an L bracket (it came with my CFV-16) for the battery to fit some Hasselblad bodies and also with SWC bodies you'll need a shorter tripod mount plate for the back/battery to fit - John Milich sells a replacement plate.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

On an Arca rm3di and the CFV-50c back with its 1.5 crop factor, will the focus cards I use with my H5d50 back need revision?
    Stanley
    Last edited by stngoldberg; 30th September 2015 at 09:30. Reason: Grammar

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by stngoldberg View Post
    On an Arca rm3di and the CFV-50c back with its 1.5 crop factor, will the focus cards I use with my H5d50 back need revision?
    Stanley

The cards should be used with the same distance references. No change. At least it was with my rm3di and IQ150.

Only thing that will be off is the vario finder. But with live view don't need it.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, great price on a great back. I nearly bought one of these recently, but ended up with a Credo 60 for the bigger sensor and because it can handle bigger movements with the right lenses. THe files I shot on my Linhof Techno during tests with a CFV-50c were stunning, no question about it, but past a certain point of shift things started to fall apart quite repidly. For most people working with moderate movements, I don't think it'd be a problem. If you want to stich 6x12 panoramas with a bit of rise or fall, then you're going to see problems.
    Anyway, great deal!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tjv View Post
    Wow, great price on a great back. I nearly bought one of these recently, but ended up with a Credo 60 for the bigger sensor and because it can handle bigger movements with the right lenses. THe files I shot on my Linhof Techno during tests with a CFV-50c were stunning, no question about it, but past a certain point of shift things started to fall apart quite repidly. For most people working with moderate movements, I don't think it'd be a problem. If you want to stich 6x12 panoramas with a bit of rise or fall, then you're going to see problems.
    Anyway, great deal!
    Why does the credo 60 accommodate bigger movements. Is it because of the cropped sensor?
    Stanley

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    The cards should be used with the same distance references. No change. At least it was with my rm3di and IQ150.

Only thing that will be off is the vario finder. But with live view don't need it.

Paul
    Thank you, paul
    Stanley

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One opinion on the 50MP and movements, again coming from the Arca rm3di and 28mm, 40mm and 60mm lenses.

The Sony sensor will show a pretty hard shift to the red/magenta much past 8mm to 10mm. I shifted the IQ150 all the way to 15mm, with the 40mm Rodenstock and 20mm with the 60XL. The color cast will eventually turn the last 1/3 of the shifted image red. C1 can actually do a pretty good job on cleaning up the red shift in many cases. Pulling back a good amount of green (trees for example). The area that was hurt the most was a blue sky, as the LCC corrections I used just would not totally pull out the red. Pure blue no clouds being the worst. With the local adjustments tab in C1, you can clean up quite a bit and still get a pretty nice image.

Noise is nominal, unlike shifting the IQ260, where I find noise will very often create quite a problem at times.

To be totally honest, after a few shoots, I found that C1 was able to get my IQ150 image for the most part cleaned up, as long as I did not reach beyond 15mm. I had hoped the 28mm due to the crop would allow a bit more shift, but not really, maybe 1mm?

The main reason I stayed with the 260, was the 1:3 crop of the IQ150. Others on this site don't mind it, but on testing, I found I had to backup 12 to 14 feet to get close to the same framing and in many cases where I shoot, you just can't go back that far. If I was out west, with the grand spaces, decision might have been different.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Well, crap. So they finally made it moderately affordable and I always said that when they did I would jump. But just when I get my first tele-zoom Nikon in ten years and am starting to actually enjoy it. So, whadda ya gonna do? Go for the versatility of the Nikon or the quality of the MFDB?

If you think I'd miss the Nikon all that much, think again. My other system is a Leica M-P and three wonderful lenses. But, still...there is always that lure of the next mountain. Oh, my...

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Re: Hasselblad CFV-50c to Sell at $9995 During 4Q15

One opinion on the 50MP and movements, again coming from the Arca rm3di and 28mm, 40mm and 60mm lenses.
    The Sony sensor will show a pretty hard shift to the red/magenta much past 8mm to 10mm. I shifted the IQ150 all the way to 15mm, with the 40mm Rodenstock and 20mm with the 60XL.
    Quoting from page 38 of the CFV-50c manual:
    "Shift settings are not recommended on cameras with wide angle lenses and a short lens to image plane distance."

When you use any piece of gear in a manner discouraged by the manufacturer, you can expect anomalies.

- Leigh

Post Thanks / Like

It's not just the colour cast, but the mazing and artifacts introduced with large shifts on the Sony CMOS that bothered me. All in combination though it proved too risky a purchase for how far I wanted to push it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrew View Post
    Well, crap. So they finally made it moderately affordable and I always said that when they did I would jump. But just when I get my first tele-zoom Nikon in ten years and am starting to actually enjoy it. So, whadda ya gonna do? Go for the versatility of the Nikon or the quality of the MFDB?

If you think I'd miss the Nikon all that much, think again. My other system is a Leica M-P and three wonderful lenses. But, still...there is always that lure of the next mountain. Oh, my...
    Keep your Nikon system - the reasons you go to it instead of your Leica (or vica versa) are different to the reasons you shoot MF technical - you will miss your DSLR type camera - it does all the stuff that the others do - sort of - but excels in portrait to tele focal lengths. MF for me is wide- I dont own a lens longer than 70mm for my tech cameras - wide baby - wide. OR sitch stitch stitch if want to...The Sony works up to a point, with less **** /tilt movement latitude than a larger sensor size provides, even though many of these sensors test the limits of acceptability when employing super wides - the crop factor can't be ignored when it comes to lens to film plane tilts and shifts..with a Sony mounted on to a tech camera- I'd go for CaNikon wides..over a Rodenstock or Schneider...no need to pay the uber bucks if you are using a 35MM chip.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah.....I think it is time to pull the trigger. I had a blast shooting the back earlier this year, the price is certainly right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Quoting from page 38 of the CFV-50c manual:
    "Shift settings are not recommended on cameras with wide angle lenses and a short lens to image plane distance."

When you use any piece of gear in a manner discouraged by the manufacturer, you can expect anomalies.

- Leigh
    Glad to see Hasselblad points this out in the manual. I was using the Phase implementation of the chip in the IQ150, where usage information is a bit more vague.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

I used the back to stitch as I would a 35mm (with a nodal plate). Alpa STC/40HR/CFV50c.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pier - 2 small.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	389.1 KB 
ID:	95293  
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi John.

Nice shot. And a good example of how the back works in a nodal setup.

The crop factor may work in favor for such stitching.

The other issues I would have with the 50c are no C1 support and tethering. I assume the Focus from Hasselblad allows for a USB tethered capture?

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Come on, Hassi ! Get us a Full Frame CFVXXc at half (or better !) the price P1 is doing its IQs, and I'll happily get one for my tech-cam :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Hi John.

Nice shot. And a good example of how the back works in a nodal setup.

The crop factor may work in favor for such stitching.

The other issues I would have with the 50c are no C1 support and tethering. I assume the Focus from Hasselblad allows for a USB tethered capture?

Paul
    Well, according to what I found, the CFV50C has only a Firewire 800 interface..... No USB. A BIG mistake.....
    FW800 is dead, now that Apple abandoned it in lieu of Thunder-whatever.....
    Find a current model Tablet or Laptop or Desktop that has FW800..... You will need to put an aftermarket card in your PC, by an old Mac-something, or.... SOL.

I do think there is an adapter from Apple that does FW800 to Thunder-whatever..... Now you must find out if that accessory will supply sufficient power to power the CFV... as the FW connector blocks use of the battery... ie, Battery or FW, not both. And Hasselblad recommends you have the FW computer powered from AC, not battery.....

I think there is a prejudice on the part of Back makers that if you are tethered, you must be indoors, in a studio,,,,, ie, whatever you need you can just wire up..... The outdoor landscape community is just not considered. ( this changed with the recent Credo and P1 backs)

Having said that, I am most interested as well..... but I am also looking at a Credo 40... 4/5 of the pixels, a bit more expensive, but long term support, use of C1, and that USB3 port are certainly commanding issues.....

FrankF
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like

Not that I have $10K, and I would be interested in the back for a Hassy body (203FE), but a friend replied with this message:

"..,then after divesting yourself of 10k you find the thing is a total PitA to align, like, when scrutinised closely ALL your images will show resolution shifts across the frame...unless really carefully aligned on an optical bench and never removed from that body.

I tested one with about 8 Hasselblad bodies when it came out, from a clapped out 500c to a 203. All rubbish. The resolution changes didn't bother me, but the visible alterations in tone and texture that went with them did."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Red735i View Post
    Well, according to what I found, the CFV50C has only a Firewire 800 interface..... No USB. A BIG mistake.....
    Find a current model Tablet or Laptop or Desktop that has FW800..... You will need to put an aftermarket card in your PC, by an old Mac-something, or.... SOL.

I do think there is an adapter from Apple that does FW800 to Thunder-whatever..... Now you must find out if that accessory will supply sufficient power to power the CFV... as the FW connector blocks use of the battery... ie, Battery or FW, not both. And Hasselblad recommends you have the FW computer powered from AC, not battery.....

I think there is a prejudice on the part of Back makers that if you are tethered, you must be indoors, in a studio,,,,, ie, whatever you need you can just wire up..... The outdoor landscape community is just not considered. ( this changed with the recent Credo and P1 backs)

Having said that, I am most interested as well..... but I am also looking at a Credo 40... 4/5 of the pixels, a bit more expensive, but long term support, use of C1, and that USB3 port are certainly commanding issues.....

FrankF
    To try and clarify...

The CFV-50c does, indeed, tether via a Firewire port. No USB.

The Apple Firewire-to-Thunderbolt adapter ($29... http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD...rewire-adapter) is pretty simple. That arrangement does not supply enough power to the back. What you do is go into the menu - there's actually a "Tethered Power" option for it - and select 'battery' instead of 'host.'

The tethered (FW) connection comes out the left side of the back, from the shooter's perspective. It's nowhere near the battery and certainly doesn't require its removal.

Post Thanks / Like

FrankF

As long as you don't mind the less than state of the art live view (I don't) or need extra long exposures (Again, I don't), Credo 40 delivers incredible images. Current prices are quite reasonable too.

40 MP is plenty for most purposes, the files upscale rather well and if that is not enough, you can always shift and stitch.

9 shots, 135MP. No IMG tag as it will kill your browser.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5730/2...d67477f8_o.jpg

(Test image, please don't judge)
    My little corner on the internet.
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by miska View Post
    Come on, Hassi ! Get us a Full Frame CFVXXc at half (or better !) the price P1 is doing its IQs, and I'll happily get one for my tech-cam :-)
    I believe the Sony announcement is about 5-7 months away (according to those who can't be named!). Which goes a long way to explaining why Hasselblad has decided to cut the price on the CFV50c.
    Still it's a great back and I loved the interface on the one I tried. It was also oh-so-nice not to have to jack around with the color (which was terrific right out of the back) like I have to do with my Nikon (even if it is profiled). BTW, I never even opened Phocus - just used ACR.

Synn, very nice mood image.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    To try and clarify...

The CFV-50c does, indeed, tether via a Firewire port. No USB.

The Apple Firewire-to-Thunderbolt adapter ($29... http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD...rewire-adapter) is pretty simple. That arrangement does not supply enough power to the back. What you do is go into the menu - there's actually a "Tethered Power" option for it - and select 'battery' instead of 'host.'

The tethered (FW) connection comes out the left side of the back, from the shooter's perspective. It's nowhere near the battery and certainly doesn't require its removal.
    I stand corrected... the CFV50C would physically allow the use of tethered connection and the battery at the same time. The FW connector in on the left side of the back, the battery fits onto the bottom.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by richardman View Post
    Not that I have $10K, and I would be interested in the back for a Hassy body (203FE), but a friend replied with this message:

"..,then after divesting yourself of 10k you find the thing is a total PitA to align, like, when scrutinised closely ALL your images will show resolution shifts across the frame...unless really carefully aligned on an optical bench and never removed from that body.

I tested one with about 8 Hasselblad bodies when it came out, from a clapped out 500c to a 203. All rubbish. The resolution changes didn't bother me, but the visible alterations in tone and texture that went with them did."
    There is really only one way to attempt to make the focus "perfect" on any manual focus digital camera.... look at the output of the sensor....
    which means, Live View or a Electronic VF or tethering.... Any other way requires the use of a secondary focus system which, by definition, has errors relative to the sensor.....

But somewhere you need to be practical.... and if that means you have a limited budget, or you do not or will not or do not want to do live view, or you have a full 500C setup and buying all the new stuff is not something you are going to do, then you must compromise.... and I think, as I am amateur, it is a fair compromise to achieve film focus accuracy in digital...

My Hassy 500C focus is close enough for me.....YMMV
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Frank,

There's a very fundamental difference between the two interfaces.
    Firewire does all of the low-level control in hardware, so almost 100% of the available bandwidth is used for data transfer.

Conversely, USB does all of that low-level control in software, so only about 50% of the bandwidth is available for data.

More importantly, this puts a significant load on the CPUs at both ends, the one in the CFV and the one in the computer.
    I expect that high CPU utilization in the CFV on top of its other functions would exceed its power budget.

- Leigh

Post Thanks / Like

But somewhere you need to be practical.... and if that means you have a limited budget, or you do not or will not or do not want to do live view, or you have a full 500C setup and buying all the new stuff is not something you are going to do, then you must compromise.... and I think, as I am amateur, it is a fair compromise to achieve film focus accuracy in digital...

Frank, I probably agree with you, now it's only a matter of getting that $10K-$50:-)

Post Thanks / Like

There is really only one way to attempt to make the focus "perfect" on any manual focus digital camera.... look at the output of the sensor....
    which means, Live View or a Electronic VF or tethering.... Any other way requires the use of a secondary focus system which, by definition, has errors relative to the sensor.....

I completely agree. Having made several hundred images with the CFV-50c on a 500C/M, with legacy Zeiss glass, I've used live view to focus a couple dozen. The majority have been focused with the native Hasselblad focusing system. Works just fine.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Frank,

There's a very fundamental difference between the two interfaces.
    Firewire does all of the low-level control in hardware, so almost 100% of the available bandwidth is used for data transfer.

Conversely, USB does all of that low-level control in software, so only about 50% of the bandwidth is available for data.

More importantly, this puts a significant load on the CPUs at both ends, the one in the CFV and the one in the computer.
    I expect that high CPU utilization in the CFV on top of its other functions would exceed its power budget.

- Leigh
    In my experience that argument was more relevant in the days of FW800 and USB2.

Modern Phase/Leaf backs have both FW800 and USB3, which lets you make an apples to apples comparison. In these backs the images transfer faster using the USB3 option and I've seen no difference in power consumption. In fact if you run the numbers on transfer speed and data size you'll find that an IQ150/250/350 is outperforming the transfer speed of nearly any other USB3 device you can find on the market. However, this was not an arbitrarily simple task to pull off; Phase One was a full year late on enabling the USB3 port when they launched the IQ series in 2011.

Two significant differences that remains is in power provision and cable length.

Cable Length:
    Firewire natively goes to 15' and can be quite easily pushed to 30' with very stable results (assuming use of a very good cable and a powered hub). Standard USB3 natively goes to 10' (optical USB3 cables can go much longer).

Power:
    Firewire from a good port (typically a powered hub) can provide power over the cable enough to run a digital back. USB3.0 did not provide very much power; only enough for a trickle charge. However, with the recent advent of USB3.1 supported devices (e.g. IQ3) can now charge over USB.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post
    Hi Doug,

Since USB3 didn't exist at the time FW800 was designed, my comments rather obviously applied to USB2.

Thanks.

- Leigh

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Doug,

Since USB3 didn't exist at the time FW800 was designed, my comments rather obviously applied to USB2.

Thanks.

- Leigh
    Gotchya.

Yes, between FW800 and USB2 I'd take FW800 anytime (for high performance applications).

USB3 really changed things and USB3.1 even more so.

FW is definitely on its way out.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Post Thanks / Like

Modern Phase/Leaf backs have both FW800 and USB3, which lets you make an apples to apples comparison. In these backs the images transfer faster using the USB3 option and I've seen no difference in power consumption. In fact if you run the numbers on transfer speed and data size you'll find that an IQ150/250/350 is outperforming the transfer speed of nearly any other USB3 device you can find on the market. However, this was not an arbitrarily simple task to pull off; Phase One was a full year late on enabling the USB3 port when they launched the IQ series in 2011.

Two significant differences that remains is in power provision and cable length.

Cable Length:
    Firewire natively goes to 15' and can be quite easily pushed to 30' with very stable results (assuming use of a very good cable and a powered hub). Standard USB3 natively goes to 10' (optical USB3 cables can go much longer).

Power:
    Firewire from a good port (typically a powered hub) can provide power over the cable enough to run a digital back. USB3.0 did not provide very much power; only enough for a trickle charge. However, with the recent advent of USB3.1 supported devices (e.g. IQ3) can now charge over USB.
    All really good points, especially if you are tethered, in the studio. I may be biased, but I am a landscape person. No powered hub available, no need for a 5 foot cable, no less 10 or 15 feet. My thought is to use a Tablet, or more ideally, a smaller device like a cell phone, to do the LiveView function of composition and focus. Interface to that tablet is not possible with the Hassy CFV50c. I think it should have been available to appeal to my market segment.
    Obviously, the back is marketed more to the Studio shooter than the landscape shooter.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like

Hello, I didn't know that you could Live Focus the Hassy 50C back using a cell phone (iOS?) Because that along could be reason enough to go for the iPhone 6 Plus model.
    Could you please explain to me a bit of the procedure and requirements?
    TIA
    Eduardo

QUOTE=Red735i;662040]All really good points, especially if you are tethered, in the studio. I may be biased, but I am a landscape person. No powered hub available, no need for a 5 foot cable, no less 10 or 15 feet. My thought is to use a Tablet, or more ideally, a smaller device like a cell phone, to do the LiveView function of composition and focus. Interface to that tablet is not possible with the Hassy CFV50c. I think it should have been available to appeal to my market segment.
    Obviously, the back is marketed more to the Studio shooter than the landscape shooter.[/QUOTE]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uaiomex View Post
    Hello, I didn't know that you could Live Focus the Hassy 50C back using a cell phone (iOS?) Because that along could be reason enough to go for the iPhone 6 Plus model.
    Could you please explain to me a bit of the procedure and requirements?
    TIA
    Eduardo

QUOTE=Red735i;662040]All really good points, especially if you are tethered, in the studio. I may be biased, but I am a landscape person. No powered hub available, no need for a 5 foot cable, no less 10 or 15 feet. My thought is to use a Tablet, or more ideally, a smaller device like a cell phone, to do the LiveView function of composition and focus. Interface to that tablet is not possible with the Hassy CFV50c. I think it should have been available to appeal to my market segment.
    Obviously, the back is marketed more to the Studio shooter than the landscape shooter.
    [/QUOTE]

While I may own an Iphone, I do not own a P1 or Credo back. What I said was that is what I would LIKE to do. Not that it is or is not possible right now.....
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like

Cable Length:

Power:
    Doug do you have a recommendation for USB 3 optical cables. I assume the optical cables do not need a hub booster. Are these cables available as A/B connectors? I've only found them (Corning A/A ends and you have to use a A to B adapter to connect to IQ back
    Thx!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes Hasselblad but make it with a revolving sensor or bust!

Quote Originally Posted by miska View Post