The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad to be sold to Phase One...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swissblad

You know, after thinking about it......

It is just the simple love of using certain tools. Some sense of personal satisfaction that defies pure rationality. Certain tools invite use, make it a pleasure, have a feeling in hand, can be amazing, dare I say it even inspire involvement"! and become an extension of you IF you take the time to master it.

I wish Hasselblad well. I hope Phase One continues on in good health. I dearly hope Leica continues improving the S kit. That Pentax keeps at it. Because these tools can be a joy to work with … if given a chance.

- Marc
I'm with Marc on this one - there are just some tool you bond with, others you don't.

I loved the 503, the Xpan, struggled with the H and gave it up, loved the Nikon D700, initially struggled with the new Fuji X series....:cool:

Personally, I hope we see a range of new gear that will inspire us to create new images not possible before (or at least not as easily before) in formats that suit the needs best.

CSP

Crazy money.

$5999 for canned profiles and some tools which are standard in cheap scanning software ? they can only hope that their customers never learn about color-mangment. but it is interesting to see how they turn the shortcomings of capture one into a new product with premium price tag.

Egor

Crazy money.
...less than the cost of a single art capture for some
And obtw, art repro isn't the most demanding for color accuracy, that would be the textile industry

Sorry, Doug is correct, the rest of this is some hypothetical peeing contest I no longer have time for.
I hadn't posted in a while and saw this thread and thought I'd offer my insight from the trenches. I realize why I don't post much anymore

gazwas

...less than the cost of a single art capture for some.
So maybe there lies the problem and if we all earned that per capture the MFD indusrty would be booming. Sadly, as that's not the general norm appreciating the benefits and affordability are at opposite poles.

I hadn't posted in a while and saw this thread and thought I'd offer my insight from the trenches. I realize why I don't post much anymore
Don't take it personally, its just a pool of opinionated photographers, (all photographers are I'm sure) which on this accession you had less on your side. A topic will no doubt crop up again in a few weeks/months along the same lines and all could change. :p

tjv

Hypothetical peeing contest? Not on my end, I can assure you of that. Unlike some here, I actually own and use one of these products on a daily basis and wouldn't dream of using anything else. I too am in "the trenches", as you put it, shooting long term documentary, cultural and social heritage projects professionally. I don't require the kind of 100% accurate colour that some might, but then again I'm very happy with the colour I get from C1 straight out the box by choosing specific Leaf profiles and tone curve options. C1 is free to use for those with a Phase / Leaf back, and for that I'm very happy.

With regards to the Cultural Heritage edition, I have no idea what it offers over and above the standard edition beyond different profiles and tone curves. If Phase want to charge $6K for the package, good luck to them. I really don't care, but it illustrates a point that has been made a few times in this thread already: No way how you slice it, it's a very expensive game to buy into and if companies like Hasselblad are to survive and regain market share some creative thinking is needed. :SPAM:

...less than the cost of a single art capture for some
And obtw, art repro isn't the most demanding for color accuracy, that would be the textile industry

Sorry, Doug is correct, the rest of this is some hypothetical peeing contest I no longer have time for.

Ai_Print

Wow, what a battle of britches folks...gave me a headache to read it.

For me personally, I am still working on getting a 50c back. It makes complete sense for me in my niche workflow, preferring film in my Hasselblads for fine art and would rather not carry around a D810 to get the digital shots while doing so. I used it for 10 days and loved the way everything worked.

Hope Hasselblad sticks around.

jecxz

I don't comment very often but I do follow you guys a lot. I very much enjoyed what Marc wrote.

Hasselblad began opening their books to other companies over 2-years ago. H sales were no longer supporting the company. Management viewed the Lunacy/Solace cameras as the savior to the H line. They knew they would fail but promised everyone success. I can't say any more. Be well everyone.

Kind regards,
Derek Jecxz
derek jecxz {photographer}

It is just the simple love of using certain tools. Some sense of personal satisfaction that defies pure rationality. Certain tools invite use, make it a pleasure, have a feeling in hand, can be amazing, dare I say it even inspire involvement"! and become an extension of you IF you take the time to master it...

I came to love using the H system for it's incredibly well thought out controls … which, once mastered, allowed me to play the camera like a musical instrument without taking my eye from that huge bright viewfinder...

Frankly, I need to like my tools not just tolerate them.

Last edited:

rmueller

I don't comment here much either, so just a few words:
- I sincerely hope that Hasselblad will NOT be acquired by either Phase One or Leica
as this reduces the number of options no matter how big or small the market for MFD is.

- I'm a happy HB H3D user for many years, no Nikon, Sony, Canon or whatever 35mm
or mirrorless will change that. The IQ is outstanding and operating the H has this
zen factor no 35mm will ever give me. And well, if i decide to expose at 1/800
with flash to put a spot on something while the surrounding remains dark i just do it.

- I had a good conversation with my dealer (who sells all other kind of MF stuff) this week
and he was more confident again that HB is able to make it and turn around.
So my next money will hopefully go into a H6D to replace the H3D.

Anyway, i'm with Marc here, the fun and like factor must not be underestimated.

Regards,
Ralf.

stngoldberg

My dealer has no idea what I he future is for Hasselblad.
My hope is that they stay in business to provide maintenance for the units in the field
Stanley

Since we discussed the multishot backs in this thread, how realistic is the rumor about a new Pentax 645 MS. My friend returned from a studio workshop and the instructor who uses the 645Z in studio said that Pentax would be introducing a multi shot technology, based on their K3-2. I doubt that it's easy to do with the Sony sensor.

P.S.

I still use my Sinarback 54H and plan to upgrade next year.

T.Dascalos

Not Available
Since we discussed the multishot backs in this thread, how realistic is the rumor about a new Pentax 645 MS. My friend returned from a studio workshop and the instructor who uses the 645Z in studio said that Pentax would be introducing a multi shot technology, based on their K3-2. I doubt that it's easy to do with the Sony sensor.

P.S.

I still use my Sinarback 54H and plan to upgrade next year.
Hi Yevgeny... I believe the 645Z will have an MS version soon... It seems strange for the K3-ii to offer one and the "Z" not... As of the Sony sensor and its compatibility with MS, the later 50MS & 200MS from Hasselblad are using the very same sensor...

T.,
Thank you. Makes sense for Pentax to get the MS.

Turbulent times, it's a very difficult decision to upgrade to anything in the MFD sector nowadays. I just hope Hasselbad will survive as an independent brand.

Although, I cannot say that my Sinar 54H FW is too behind the competition after so many years.

Yevgeny

Last edited:

Ai_Print

I could care less what Sony or anyone else does, I ordered my 50c back today.

Every ski season I have to decide between taking a Nikon DSLR up on the hill with at best a Mamiya 6 loaded with black and white in tow for fine art or just the Hasselblad system to shoot an annual advertising contract. Now I can knock off the BS and just take a Hasselblad 501CM, 2-3 lenses, 2 film backs and the 50c and get cranking.

50MP will be plenty well into the future, especially stitched....this is going to be a blast.

Long live Hasselblad!

Last edited:

synn

And now Sony releases the camera that everyone has asked for with a Hasselblad label for several years.

http://www.sony.com/electronics/cyber-shot-compact-cameras/dsc-rx1rm2

If that would have been the Lunar with a bit of blimblim-deco, lets say with a pricetag of 5-6k$
maybe exclusive for 1 year with the bladlogo, many things today would have been different.....

Too late.

Regards
Stefan
I am sorry, who is this everyone? No one I know could care less for any hassellblad branded cameras that are not medium format. If anything, the new Sony is catering to the Leica market, just like the RX1 did before it.

It's a niche solution for a niche market and already has a hilarious price tag before adding the Hasselblad tax. Blad should stay away from such distractions.

CSP

It's a niche solution for a niche market and already has a hilarious price tag before adding the Hasselblad tax.
so what is ok and normal for the innovation free mf market is total wrong when it comes the 35mm ?

fact is that this camera offers a feature most photographers would appreciate to have whether it is mf or 35mm - a variable low pass filter ! this camera shows in an impressive way
how far left behind phase and hasselblad already are.

synn

so what is ok and normal for the innovation free mf market is total wrong when it comes the 35mm ?

fact is that this camera offers a feature most photographers would appreciate to have whether it is mf or 35mm - a variable low pass filter ! this camera shows in an impressive way
how far left behind phase and hasselblad already are.
with a fixed 35mm lens?
Put that into an A7R2 and will agree with you.

Edit: Personally, I do not care for an AA filter and have not missed one in any of the cameras I have owned that didn't have one. But YMMV.

Stefan Steib

Do some of you really have such a short memory ?
What about the X-Pan ....... I would love to have a digital X-Pan....just hit search for the forum here.
I agree that exchangable lenses would be even better, but this little sucker would have been lightyears better for a lunar
launch than the even then outdated Nex7.

I also think the X-Pan was one of the finest pieces of gear that Hasselblad ever sold (even if Fuji built it).

Greetings from Germany
Stefan

algrove

Personally I'd rather have IBIS in the new RX-1 than the variable low pass filter. Software is so good these days except with blurry images due to non-IBIS

Status
Not open for further replies.