The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tech Camera Transport? Assembled or Disassembled While in Your Bag?

Hi

I have a Cambo RS, IQ180 and a few lenses. I always detach the lenses and back if I'm on an airplane or trekking over a long distance, but now and then I'll leave the back mounted and a lens stuffed in a backpack. Sometimes I worry it may not be a good idea, perhaps it will stress the mounts or throw something slightly out of tolerance ;)

Anyway, curious how some other users drag their gear around. I'd love to have a setup that keeps it configured to speed up the setup process.

Thanks!

Jordan

stephengilbert

Same here. I've assumed that leaving the back mounted isn't a problem, but that there might be stress on the lens/mount if left on.

Edit: Yikes, I used GetDPI spelling (their instead of there).

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I do the same and typically pack my Alpa STC with the back and lens mounted in an F-Stop Tilopa bag.

I pack it so that it is arranged vertically in the center of the bag with a large hood hat covering the back (at the bottom and well padded below) and the lens set at infinity and pointing to the top of the bag. This has never caused any issues for me and I ensure that there is nothing putting pressure on the lens from above. I do make a point of removing the sync cables though. I try to avoid anything that might put pressure on the sync ports and the plug interface on the MFDB. Similarly the shutter release cable is always removed.

There are certain lens that you need to be extra careful with that have heavy lens front elements that extend out from the shutter a good distance such as the Rodenstocks wides. (23HR & 32HR that I know of - probably others too). I make sure that there is sufficient padding around the lens to avoid any lateral forces on the front element. I know that best practice is to remove them and store them off the camera but to be honest I don't see any advantage with that since they are supported in my bag anyway. If you packed the body laterally across the pack (just as it sits on a tripod) then I could see that gravity and shocks from carrying the bag might affect a lens without support underneath it. Unless the lens was stored in a custom fit foam enclosure I don't know that you could really protect it any better in a camera bag.

With my Cambo Actus DB it's tougher to carry the system assembled due to the shape and bellows. I have to tear that one down whenever I carry it somewhere.

miska

Same here. I keep the whole shebang mounted, but try to be careful in packing, so that there is no stress on the lens or the back.
Otherwise, setting up takes too much time, if you need to mount / dismount at each shot location.
So far, so good...

rga

I disassemble it all: each in it's own OpTech pouch (including the Alpa MAX). It all fits very well in my bag that way and I don't worry about any stresses, etc. AlpaMAX, SK80sb, 150sb, Rodie 32sb34, Rodie 50sb17, Credo 50, batteries, Alpa extensions, and all the misc. stuff all fit in a backpack (ThinkTank) that fits in the overhead compartment.

Also, if I'm done working a venue and going to move on to look for another, I completely disassemble and pack it all away.

I've never disassembled either the Cambo Wide DS or WRS 1250 - it's just carried in either a padded shoulder bag or a trolley case. So far, no problems. I just don't have time to break down after each shot - though the back often moves onto the DF+, especially for flying. I'm careful not to put any undue stresses on the lenses of course but the tech cams have so far proved very robust.

stngoldberg

I am in constant fear of damage to my Arca rm3di, especially when I have the 32 Rodenstock attached. When shooting I hand hold it while moving locations, and after shooting I disassemble ASAP.
I store my five lenses in a pelican hard case with the foam pieces picked out in the shape of each lens and their extenders if applicable.
I also picked out the foam pieces in the shape of the camera and viewfinder and also store that in the case.
BTW, each time I attach my Hasselblad back, I triple check it is secure
In the past I have had an accident with my 32 Rodie falling off the camera and bounceing on a cement sidewalk which necessitated a trip to Europe for repair!
That incident was not good for my heart either.
Stanley

Jeffrey

Just returned from flying Jet Blue across the country. I had my gear inside a Think Tank Airport Commuter backpack. Cambo 5000W, IQ380 back, 2 Rodenstock lenses, and so on. I disassembled everything. Each component had a separate place that was padded inside the backpack. No problems carrying aboard the backpack, and no problems with any of the gear. I was extra careful with the backpack no matter where I was on the trip for reasons already mentioned in this thread.