Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Phase One PPE News: 3 Lens Updates, XF Body FW Update

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Phase One PPE News: 3 Lens Updates, XF Body FW Update

Phase One has two announcements this year for Photo Plus: something new and some things blue.

Something New: Phase One XF Feature Update 1 (free firmware update)
    - Copyright Embedding
    - WLF Focus Confirmation
    - Hyperfocal Point Calibration
    - Seismograph Based Vibration Mode
    - Remote Focusing
    - Bullseye Level

Three Blue Ring updates to the Schneider LS Line:
    - Schneider 55LS, 80LS, 150LS Blue Ring versions
    - Electronically Serialized
    - Tighter Tolerances
    - Improved Feel
    - 5-Year Warranty when purchased w/ IQ3 Kit

Links for more info:
    New Schneider Blue Ring LS Lenses - DT Blog
    New Phase One XF Firmware - DT Blog

Want to See Them?
    We'll have the new lenses and the new firmware at our party tonight (link) and at the Photo Plus Expo at Booth #855 (link).

Questions? Post them here and I can get an answer for you as the morning progresses. Or you can email us at [email protected].
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Phase One PPE News: 3 Lens Updates, XF Body FW Update

Any news yet on Credo compatibility, Doug?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by synn View Post
    Any news yet on Credo compatibility, Doug?
    Not yet. That requires a firmware update of the Credo rather than an update of the XF.

Phase One has stated that such a firmware update for the Credo will come, but I do not have any update about it at this time.

I'm a bit frustrated a timeline had not been provided.
    Last edited by dougpeterson; 21st October 2015 at 05:13.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Are the new 55/80/150 new lenses similar to the 35LS or simply updates on the current ones? Cheers...

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jagsiva View Post
    Are the new 55/80/150 new lenses similar to the 35LS or simply updates on the current ones? Cheers...
    Same optics. Tighter manufacturing tolerances. No radical improvement in optical quality expected. Notably these are already very good lenses whereas before the 35LS the previous 35mm was only so-so and in much need of an optical update.

The most profound impact of the new Blue Ring versions of the 55/80/150 will be for rental houses and production companies that own multiple bodies/lenses (see article linked in first post about details on serialization). For other users this is less revolution and more evolution; but it is nice to see them continue to invest in upping their game across the board in backs/bodies/lenses.
    Last edited by dougpeterson; 21st October 2015 at 06:38.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Doug,

Can you tell me what kind of evolution are you talking about?

I bought SK35mm 2 weeks ago. I compare it with 55LS and it only marginally better in the corner while the center looks the same. If this is the future of phase one im ready to jump ship in the future.

I also compare it with pentax 28-45mm with 645Z and the pentax produces indentical sharpness while its being zoom lens and 40% cheaper.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post
    Same optics. Tighter manufacturing tolerances. No radical improvement in optical quality expected. Notably these are already very good lenses whereas before the 35LS the previous 35mm was only so-so and in much need of an optical update.

The most profound impact of the new Blue Ring versions of the 55/80/150 will be for rental houses and production companies that own multiple bodies/lenses (see article linked in first post about details on serialization). For other users this is less revolution and more evolution; but it is nice to see them continue to invest in upping their game across the board in backs/bodies/lenses.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Santoso View Post
    I bought SK35mm 2 weeks ago. I compare it with 55LS and it only marginally better in the corner while the center looks the same. If this is the future of phase one im ready to jump ship in the future.
    If your 35LS looks anything other than stellar in the corners you should speak with your dealer as it's not performing up to spec.

Even at f/3.5 and with an 80mp full frame sensor the results are excellent. See below tests:
    Phase One SK 35mm LS f/3.5 Full Resolution Test - DT Blog
    https://www.digitaltransitions.com/b...g/35mm-ls-test

Here is one graphic from one of those tests:
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

Your samples looks the same as mine BUT my 55LS also looks similar. I am saying it is not a major improvement from non blue ring lens.

Also the zoom pentax 24-45 produces similar result.

I have 4 pentax lens to compares btw with my LS lens, will posts a lot of comparisons later

-Dan

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Your samples looks the same as mine BUT my 55LS also looks similar. I am saying it is not a major improvement from non blue ring lens.
    Then we misunderstood each other.

35D --> 35LS Blue Ring = huge optical improvement
    55LS --> 55LS Blue Ring = no significant improvement expected, nor required, both excellent
    80LS --> 80LS Blue Ring = no significant improvement expected, nor required, both excellent
    150LS --> 150LS Blue Ring = no significant improvement expected, nor required, both excellent

Since the 55LS (Blue Ring or non Blue Ring) and 35LS are both excellent lenses there isn't much difference or "improvement" for one over the other.

Keep in mind with your comparisons to Pentax that a 50mp crop sensor does not require nearly as good of a lens as a full-frame 80mp sensor. The 50mp crop sensor is effectively cropping out the parts of the image circle that aren't as strong and is requiring 40% less resolving power than the full 80mp sensor. You could do an apples-to-apples comparison by using your Pentax lens on a full frame 645 80mp sensor but Pentax doesn't have any full frame sensors nor any sensors higher in resolution than 50mp. Regardless I look forward to your results!

Post Thanks / Like

Pixel size of the 50MP 1.3x crop sensor against the 80MP FF sensor is close enough to be a non-issue.

Same resolving power required for both sensors.

Image circle of course an entirely different issue.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I was able to download the updates to my XF and IQ350 quite easily and am pleased that Phase is following through on their commitment to update the platform. The histogram and vibration updates are both welcome. However, I still can't see how to activate the Hyperfocal function.

I followed the instructions for saving (storing) the settings for my SK 35. At f11, I set the focus at a touch more than 5 metres to get the closest focus while objects at infinity are still sharp. The requires 41 units of MCU (Motor Control Units). I touch the Store icon to save the setting.

But then what? How do I use the setting? Going back to Hyperfocal Distance takes me to the input screen. Pressing the shutter simply autofocuses the lens at whatever it's pointing at - in my testing, infinity.

So how do I get the lens to move to the 5 metre setting? Anybody know? (I've asked my dealer and he was a bit puzzled too - but to be fair he hadn't a chance to try the software out yet.)
    Bill CB

www.billcaulfeild-browne.ca
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

So what parts "ready for the future" improvement do i get from the new premium lens. Blue ring is the top of the line SK. Tell me one reason to buy when it is only slightly better than old 3 years+ 55LS and other non blue ring. Is it the blue ring decoration and new furnish? If this is the best of phase one future im not impress.

-Dan

Then we misunderstood each other.

35D --> 35LS Blue Ring = huge optical improvement
    55LS --> 55LS Blue Ring = no significant improvement expected, nor required, both excellent
    80LS --> 80LS Blue Ring = no significant improvement expected, nor required, both excellent
    150LS --> 150LS Blue Ring = no significant improvement expected, nor required, both excellent

Since the 55LS (Blue Ring or non Blue Ring) and 35LS are both excellent lenses there isn't much difference or "improvement" for one over the other.

Keep in mind with your comparisons to Pentax that a 50mp crop sensor does not require nearly as good of a lens as a full-frame 80mp sensor. The 50mp crop sensor is effectively cropping out the parts of the image circle that aren't as strong and is requiring 40% less resolving power than the full 80mp sensor. You could do an apples-to-apples comparison by using your Pentax lens on a full frame 645 80mp sensor but Pentax doesn't have any full frame sensors nor any sensors higher in resolution than 50mp. Regardless I look forward to your results!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

With the 55mm LS it appears the blue ring gives you serialization for AF micro adjust with the XF body and they are claiming better and more solid builds thus the 5 year warranty on the blue ring lenses.

I have not seen any pricing but it's safe to assume that the blue ring version will cost more.

Optically the blue ring 55mm is the same as the old lenses.

Phase made a statement of direction to provide serialized AF for a large portion of their lenses.

However it was my understanding that the XF could save settings for 1 55mm regardless of the ring. It would only matter if you owned more than one lens I guess. The XF will keep multiple settings for AF microadjust. The DF+ I believe only holds one at a time. If you put on a different lens and micro adjust it then the previous microadjust setting is lost.

Paul

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So what parts "ready for the future" improvement do i get from the new premium lens. Blue ring is the top of the line SK. Tell me one reason to buy when it is only slightly better than old 3 years+ 55LS and other non blue ring. Is it the blue ring decoration and new furnish? If this is the best of phase one future im not impress.

-Dan
    My understanding is that there is little difference optically but a significant difference mechanically . They are made of premium materials, more robust and with a much shorter rotation of the focus ring to go from closest distance to infinity - thus speeding up focus time. This is true of the SK35 - just about a 45 degree turn instead of at least twice that on the older lenses.

But as my 55 LS is a very sharp lens I won't be changing/trading it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    With the 55mm LS it appears the blue ring gives you serialization for AF micro adjust with the XF body and they are claiming better and more solid builds thus the 5 year warranty on the blue ring lenses.
    Isn't the 5-year warranty contingent upon purchasing the lens in a kit with an IQ3 series back?
    La gallina vecchia fa buon brodo

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DucatiTerminator View Post
    Isn't the 5-year warranty contingent upon purchasing the lens in a kit with an IQ3 series back?
    That is a good question. Hopefully a dealer will clarify.

Paul

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Caulfeild-Browne View Post
    So how do I get the lens to move to the 5 metre setting? Anybody know? (I've asked my dealer and he was a bit puzzled too - but to be fair he hadn't a chance to try the software out yet.)
    Set the autofocus mode to Hyperfocaland tap the AF button.

- - - Updated - - -

Correct. 5 year warranty, including loaner back when purchased as part of an IQ3 kit.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So what parts "ready for the future" improvement do i get from the new premium lens. Blue ring is the top of the line SK. Tell me one reason to buy when it is only slightly better than old 3 years+ 55LS and other non blue ring.
    I'm *not* telling you to buy one. I'm saying very clearly that the 55LS and 55LS Blue Ring use the same optics. If an individual already owns a 55LS then I would not suggest, generally speaking, buying a 55LS Blue Ring (possible exception for users that are really rough on their lenses and would benefit from the improved mechanics or rental houses that would benefit from serialization).

The new Blue Ring version is mechanically/aesthetically much improved and provides electronic serialization (not very important for individuals but huge news for rental houses).

The price is the same as the 55LS (non blue ring) version was and simply updates these three lenses to the latest in mechanical design and manufacturing tolerances and electronics.

So basically the lens is improved but the price is unchanged. I have a hard time viewing this as anything but good news for potential end users.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

However it was my understanding that the XF could save settings for 1 55mm regardless of the ring. It would only matter if you owned more than one lens I guess. The XF will keep multiple settings for AF microadjust. The DF+ I believe only holds one at a time. If you put on a different lens and micro adjust it then the previous microadjust setting is lost.
    DF+ = only one global micro adjust setting
    XF with any lens = one micro adjust setting per lens model*
    XF with Blue Ring LS lens = individualized micro adjust settings based on serial number

*Technically it is based on lens model, not on focal length. The difference being that if you had a Schneider 55mm LS (non Blue Ring) lens and a Mamiya 55mm AF lens you could micro adjust them separately even though they share a focal length. Obviously the distinction here is not likely to matter for most users and very few users have more than one lens of each focal length.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm *not* telling you to buy one. I'm saying very clearly that the 55LS and 55LS Blue Ring use the same optics. If an individual already owns a 55LS then I would not suggest, generally speaking, buying a 55LS Blue Ring (possible exception for users that are really rough on their lenses and would benefit from the improved mechanics or rental houses that would benefit from serialization).

The new Blue Ring version is mechanically/aesthetically much improved and provides electronic serialization (not very important for individuals but huge news for rental houses).

The price is the same as the 55LS (non blue ring) version was and simply updates these three lenses to the latest in mechanical design and manufacturing tolerances and electronics.

So basically the lens is improved but the price is unchanged. I have a hard time viewing this as anything but good news for potential end users.
    Being the newb that I am to to the MFD thing, my viewpoint is somewhat limited, however, having handled two of the now five "Blue Ring" lenses, I feel that they are very well constructed and seem to be substantially more "solid" than the lens line they are replacing -- like I could use them to hammer nails to hang my mounted photos.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I feel that they are very well constructed and seem to be substantially more "solid" than the lens line they are replacing -- like I could use them to hammer nails to hang my mounted photos.
    To be clear that is not recommended.

Post Thanks / Like

To be clear that is not recommended.
    Not even if I opt for the 5-yr IQ3 kit warranty? LOL

Post Thanks / Like

I was able to download the updates to my XF and IQ350 quite easily and am pleased that Phase is following through on their commitment to update the platform. The histogram and vibration updates are both welcome. However, I still can't see how to activate the Hyperfocal function.

I followed the instructions for saving (storing) the settings for my SK 35. At f11, I set the focus at a touch more than 5 metres to get the closest focus while objects at infinity are still sharp. The requires 41 units of MCU (Motor Control Units). I touch the Store icon to save the setting.

But then what? How do I use the setting? Going back to Hyperfocal Distance takes me to the input screen. Pressing the shutter simply autofocuses the lens at whatever it's pointing at - in my testing, infinity.

From manual:
    Using the Hyperfocal Point
    Once the Hyper Focal point is set, it is possible to select hyper focal mode as an
    AF mode (spot, average or hyperfocal). If Hyper Focal is selected, an activation
    of the AF button will move the lens to the stored value.
    It is highly recommended to assign a different button than the shutter half-press
    to “Auto Focus” - this is done with the Rear Key > UI Setup > Control Setup.
    The hyperfocal mode is not stored persistently. Once the XF is turned off it
    jumps back to the previous value.
    http://www.megapixel.org

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not even if I opt for the 5-yr IQ3 kit warranty? LOL
    I think this falls into the category of baking a Phase One digital back in an oven or freezing it in dry ice. It will almost surely work afterward, but it's still not (officially) recommended.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Strok - most helpful. And it works!
    There was no mention of this in the manual that came with my camera. I'll have to download a later version.
    Cheers,
    Bill
    Bill CB

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Bill, I'm still waiting for my XF, but I was able to download manuals here https://www.phaseone.com/en/SupportM...anuals_XF.aspx

Evgueni

Thanks Strok - most helpful. And it works!
    There was no mention of this in the manual that came with my camera. I'll have to download a later version.
    Cheers,
    Bill
    http://www.megapixel.org

Post Thanks / Like

Not wishing to rain on anyone's parade, but just to say I compared this 55mm lens to tech Rodie lenses (the 60mm and 50mm) and it was a dramatic difference in favor of the tech camera. So much so I returned the 55mm Schneider.

Of course it's a different beast, doing somewhat different things. The design is allowing for a mirrorbox of the DF/XF, whereas a tech lens needs none of those compromises. On the other hand a tech lens must have a bigger circle for movements and stitching, and that is a bigger ask.

I own a DF and some Phase lenses, so it's not about being competitive, but really just saying: if your thing is ultimate resolution, a modern Tech camera lens is much superior.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by narikin View Post
    Not wishing to rain on anyone's parade, but just to say I compared this 55mm lens to tech Rodie lenses (the 60mm and 50mm) and it was a dramatic difference in favor of the tech camera. So much so I returned the 55mm Schneider.

Of course it's a different beast, doing somewhat different things. The design is allowing for a mirrorbox of the DF/XF, whereas a tech lens needs none of those compromises. On the other hand a tech lens must have a bigger circle for movements and stitching, and that is a bigger ask.

I own a DF and some Phase lenses, so it's not about being competitive, but really just saying: if your thing is ultimate resolution, a modern Tech camera lens is much superior.
    I agree. When I compared the "original" 55LS with the SK60XL, there was a substantial advantage for the SK60XL. When the blue ring lenses were released, particularly the 35LS, things looked promising. I have not used this lens personally, but certainly the posted samples, including those by Doug, looked a lot closer to my 32HR. Certainly enough to make me start thinking if the tech cam was worth the hassle.

This was my main reason for asking if the 55LS Blue Ring was a new design. if it is still the old formula, then I would consider the 60XL to be significantly better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jagsiva View Post
    I agree. When I compared the "original" 55LS with the SK60XL, there was a substantial advantage for the SK60XL. When the blue ring lenses were released, particularly the 35LS, things looked promising. I have not used this lens personally, but certainly the posted samples, including those by Doug, looked a lot closer to my 32HR. Certainly enough to make me start thinking if the tech cam was worth the hassle.

This was my main reason for asking if the 55LS Blue Ring was a new design. if it is still the old formula, then I would consider the 60XL to be significantly better.
    I have to wonder if there are sample variation issues on the 55LS? I have seen some excellent examples from this lens and excellent examples from the Mamiya 55AF Lens. Maybe the 55mm LS blue ring construction will cut down on sample variation.

The 60XL is an excellent lens for sure but I feel that there are some 55mm LS lenses that come close. This is on both 80MP and 60MP Phase backs.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have to wonder if there are sample variation issues on the 55LS? I have seen some excellent examples from this lens and excellent examples from the Mamiya 55AF Lens. Maybe the 55mm LS blue ring construction will cut down on sample variation.

Paul
    Could certainly be the case. The first lens i had was not great, and the second a lot better, but not close to the 60XL. Again, a sample size of two doesn't cut it. If the tolerances are tighter with the new lenses, this is great news.

Post Thanks / Like

just curious, is it possible to have an adapter for tech lenses on XF body lets say to be adjusted to infinity?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by strok View Post
    just curious, is it possible to have an adapter for tech lenses on XF body lets say to be adjusted to infinity?
    I don't think this would work. Not sure how you would focus the lens close enough to for infinity due to the mirror box. At least with tech wides.

Also not sure how you would get the shutters to sync.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I ordered the XF hoping for more reliable focussing with my LS240, with which focussing on my DF was very hit and miss, sometimes razor-sharp, but too often just frustratingly mis-focussed.
    The XF has proved to be superbly reliable focussing the 240, just very very occasionally missing. Have it 2 weeks now.

Shutter delay using the seismograph seems to be very effective, even on the little Gitzo Traveller with Cube.

The updated firmware caused me a brief period of anxiety this morning when the XF froze for 20 minutes during the update process, but as usual with PhaseOne Tech support, all was sorted with advice within 5 minutes of logging my problem.
    Removing and re-inserting both batteries (XF & IQ) solved the issue.

New countdown and level on top screen are neat.

For wide work, I am staying with Alpa and tech Sk & Rod.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all,

Im agree with the solid build but phase one web says beyond 100mp ready for the future for the 35SK, can you comment on this?

If it is same optically as the old 55mm LS then the 100mp part is not true as it is not superior to the old lens.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think the 35 SK LS and the 120 SK LS (blue ring lenses) substantially reduce the differences. (But I doubt they'd beat tech lenses.)

Post Thanks / Like

The new blue 35mm SK will not reduce any difference because it is the same optically as 55mm LS.

I was fooled by " blue ring "

Post Thanks / Like

Narikin,

Do you have comparison you can show us?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

The new blue 35mm SK will not reduce any difference because it is the same optically as 55mm LS.

Did you mean "55mm SK?" If so, why wouldn't tighter manufacturing tolerances of the new lenses reduce sample variation?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have both the 55 LS and the new 35 LS. Until now, the 55 LS was my favourite and one of my sharpest lenses. But my 35 LS is markedly better. I don't know anything about their respective optical formulae but the 35 is clearly a sharper lens right across the frame.

At least, mine is!

Post Thanks / Like

I just did the firmware upgrade for my new XF camera, along with my IQ 180 back. Everything worked fine, but while taking pictures today, I find that the images on the LCD screen are all monochrome. Don't get me wrong, I love the black and white effect, but I want to be able to turn it on and off. I searched all the menus, but do not find a screen option that makes it monochrome. Is this a new feature, or did I not do the upgrade correctly somehow?

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The B&W preview option has been around for a few IQ updates. There is a way to enable / disable it from the back menu. I don't have mine handy but will ck when I do.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Being able to view images in monochrome was an update added several fw versions ago. It is user selectable. Let's hope it has nothing to do with your FW update!

When viewing an image on your IQ180, in the bottom right corner of the screen is a little bubble dialogue box. Press it. This should bring up several user selectable icons. Top right, are two overlapping B&W circles. toggle it on or off. A green check mark denotes if turned on.

Fingers-crossed----I'll be doing the IQ180 and XF firmware update shortly...

ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    Being able to view images in monochrome was an update added several fw versions ago. It is user selectable. Let's hope it has nothing to do with your FW update!

When viewing an image on your IQ180, in the bottom right corner of the screen is a little bubble dialogue box. Press it. This should bring up several user selectable icons. Top right, are two overlapping B&W circles. toggle it on or off. A green check mark denotes if turned on.

Fingers-crossed----I'll be doing the IQ180 and XF firmware update shortly...

ken
    A few months ago my IQ180 went to B/W suddenly, sorted by "factory reset" in menu as advised by P1 Tech.

Post Thanks / Like

Ken,

Thanks, I see it now. It was right in front of my eyes and I did not see it. What a great addition to the digital back-I love seeing images in black and white.
    It is on the same screen as the live view icon and the delete photo icon.
    I wish someone would write a comprehensive technical manual for the XF camera; I would buy one.

John

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sadly my XF is on its way back to Phase with what seems to be a shutter problem after only 1200 cycles. The camera operated correctly until a couple of days ago when the screen started showing "Capture Error". Turning off and on again seemed to solve the problem, but a few hours later images did not show up on the back (or in C1). Changing lenses, batteries and CF cards made no difference. I had updated the firmware long before this problem occurred so I don't think it's related.

The back is fine - it shows images from other CF cards that had not been erased or formatted, and even for the blank images the various functions were all functioning except the pix were all black!

I noted that when turning the XF off the mirror did not come up and I think the FP shutter stayed closed - although both responded correctly when I took the back off.

I'll report on what Phase says when I get it back - hopefully very soon!
    Bill CB

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Bill,

I'm sorry for your news but IMHO my experience with Phase One when they first introduce a new body was bad.

It took me 4 different copies when i bought my DF+ when it was released. 1st copy was slow focusing issue, 2nd was dead, 3rd i forgot. We opened brand new boxes, only the 4rd one was good.

They seriously need better QC!!!

Another bad experience I had was broken shutter inside the body and lens. I was shooting in studio when it happened. No reason just broke when i press the shutter. I am sure this was design error or a bug, they never give me explanation whey it happened.

Sadly my XF is on its way back to Phase with what seems to be a shutter problem after only 1200 cycles. The camera operated correctly until a couple of days ago when the screen started showing "Capture Error". Turning off and on again seemed to solve the problem, but a few hours later images did not show up on the back (or in C1). Changing lenses, batteries and CF cards made no difference. I had updated the firmware long before this problem occurred so I don't think it's related.

The back is fine - it shows images from other CF cards that had not been erased or formatted, and even for the blank images the various functions were all functioning except the pix were all black!

I noted that when turning the XF off the mirror did not come up and I think the FP shutter stayed closed - although both responded correctly when I took the back off.

I'll report on what Phase says when I get it back - hopefully very soon!

Post Thanks / Like

If the blue ring 35mm is as good as a perfect copy 55mm LS across the whole frame (or better, as some say,) then it's quite an achievement in my book. Usually the wider you go with SLR designs the worse they get, at least in my experience with Leica M, Nikon and Canon.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm pleased to say my XF did not have a serious problem. My dealer in Toronto sent me the following note which I'm showing in case others experience the same problem. Seems as if I've not been the only one! (Though I did perform a factory default reset but not as described here.)

Bill CB

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm pleased to say my XF did not have a serious problem. My dealer in Toronto sent me the following note.
    Great to hear and a great example of the value of a good dealer .
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The latest firmware for the backs, 6.01.8 seems to have some possible issues in that if applied to a back, in my case a IQ260, and the back is not then powered on attached to an XF, the back can show some errors. In my case, lockup whenever I attempted to change the iso, requiring a power off of the back to free it, but every time I attempted an iso change same problem. Once the back was powered up attached to an XF, problem went away. And has worked fine since.

I tried everything else, reset to original firmware, power off for 5 minutes, etc. But once I loaded 6.01.8, same problem. Note problems may have been addressed in 6.06.5 which seems to be the latest firmware.

Seems to me that there is a lot communication going on now between XF and back, no matter it be IQ1 2 or 3. Hopefully all for the good, but I was surprised that Phase did not note this problem for IQ2 backs, surely it was tested? Again points to possible changes withing the backs over time, EC changes, like with the P45+.

Paul