The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

super wide angle for technical camera

TsurTriger

Hello,
I have Cambo Ultima 23D/35, which I used with DSLR (and I'll add a digital back in the next year) and with two lenses: Schneider 80 Apo-digitar and Nikon 120/5.6 AM-ED.
I want to add another super wide angle lens. I read a few thread here but still didn't find a lens which will be not too expensive, but still good enough for digital photography ( I mostly do Jewelry [mostly expernsive jewelry] + products professional photograpy).

I thought about the Schneider 28mm/2.8 apo-digitar (with FFD round 70mm), but it has too small IC (no T&S with digital backs) and it discontinued and it very expensive (too much for me).

I made an Excel file with all digital lenses of Rodenstock and Schneider to see it all summarize:

Manufacturer | Lens Length [mm] | Aperture | Series | Image Circle [mm] | FFD [mm] | Filter size [mm] | Price [$]

Rodenstock HR Digaron-S 4.5 / 28mm 28 4.5 HR Digaron-S 70 53.1 72 7529
Rodenstock Apo-Sironar digital 4.5 / 35mm 35 4.5 Apo-Sironar digital 105 43.2 67 2640
Rodenstock HR Digaron-S 4.0 / 35mm 35 4 HR Digaron-S 70 53.5 67 5062
Rodenstock HR Digaron-W 4.0 / 40mm 40 4 HR Digaron-W 90 69.5 67 5255
Schneider Apo-Digitar 5.6 / 43mm XL 43 5.6 Apo-Digitar 115 48.9 55 2994
Rodenstock Apo-Sironar digital 4.5 / 45mm 45 4.5 Apo-Sironar digital 125 55.5 58 2718
Schneider Apo-Digitar 5.6 / 47mm XL 47 5.6 Apo-Digitar 113 52.3 52 2640

The main issue that I have is that most of those lenses are very rare and there isn't any reviews.
I don't want to buy a lens without to know if it good for my needs.

I would like to get an advice from guys who have experience with one of more of these lenses.

Sincerely,
Tsur.

jagsiva

A lot will depend on what kind of digital back you are planning on getting. If it is less than 60MP AND a CCD, then you definitely should consider the SK35XL. It is a very nice lens, and easily found for less than 2K in most mounts. On backs less than 60MP, it is pretty close in performance and image circle to the newer and much more expensive lenses on your list such as the 43XL and 28HR.

It also has a CF available that you should consider.

If the MFDB you are looking at is 80MP or a CMOS sensor, then the Rodie 40HR should also be on your list. It is cheaper and more versatile than the 28HR, but much more expensive than the 35XL.

I think folks will be better able to help you with a little more info on MDFB back.

TsurTriger

Thank you guys.
I don't know right now if I'll buy 60 or 80, it depends on the profit I'll make the first quarter/half next year.
I guess you ask that because the pixel size. But if I also use DSLR (for regular use, digital back for premium service), I either way need a lens with high MTF, am I wrong?

The SK35XL sounds good, and looks good. It has FFD of 39.4mm, is it enough to have some T&S with focus to infinity?

Some can send me a full size file which taken with the SK35XL?

beano_z

Not familiar with Cambo, but any particular reason why you've omitted the Rodenstock 32mm F/4.0?

TsurTriger

The Cambo system (X2 Pro and 23D/35) uses lens-board with Copal#0 and Copal#1 holes. So, any large format lenses are suited.

I might be omitted a lens due to a short FFD, which I might can't have focus to infinity.