Site Sponsors

Thread: Alpa e-finder app - any user feedback?

Post Thanks / Like

Alpa e-finder app - any user feedback?

Anyone using the Alpa e-finder II app on their iPhone as a 'directors finder' or whatever?

just wanted some user feedback, as to whether its worth the time and bother, or not really.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Alpa e-finder app - any user feedback?

I use it extensively although not often mounted on the tech camera body. Yes, it's a very useful app plus you can frame back/lens and take image with gps locations for review later too.

For the price of a Starbucks coffee break its a bargain. I use the Alpa version because of real lens definitions and the option of using movements too. (Less useful if not mounting the iPhone on the camera).
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I use it as well, though mounted on the camera, and really like it.

It's certainly worth a try.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    I use the Alpa version because of real lens definitions and the option of using movements too. (Less useful if not mounting the iPhone on the camera).
    Thanks Graham - I'm confused - there's 2 versions - Alpa and generic/non Alpa?

I am told you can set it up to show the view for (e.g.) a 4 way Alpa Max stitch with your particular lens and Phase back size, etc, - is that correct?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes there are two versions of the software - Alpa eFinder II and also the Artist's Viewfinder Mk II. It's the same software except that with there are camera pack add-ons that you can buy to bring them to the same level with Alpa / Rodie / SK lenses and also movements. I've had it so long that I can't remember how it ships as standard but IIRC the Alpa version doesn't have all the dslr/35m etc cameras but the camera pack adds all of that.

You can dial in movements but only one set at a time. i.e you can't frame the entire 4 stitch you mentioned for the Max at once but you can visualize each of the four movements independently with shift/rise etc.

Here's an example from today without the movements:

Post Thanks / Like

While there are no default settings for two or four frame stitches on the Artist's Viewfinder Mk II, it is possible to preview stitches using "real lenses" using the app. I use an IQ 260 and Alpa max and I set up a custom digital back size of 75x100 to represent 4 frames stitched with 5mm overlap. Once you have that set up as a new camera you can choose your lenses and it will calculate the rest. Big thanks to Hans at Alpa on helping me set this up!

I just got back from a week on the road using the app, and I have to say, it was indispensable. I used it hand-held to location scout, sketch, compare compositions, preview my lenses from multiple cameras as well as the stitching configurations for each. The GPS map pins are also very helpful and very easy to find!

The hardest part of working with MF for me was deciding what's worth all the trouble of setting up a shot, and staying light enough on my feet to frame up a nice angle without succumbing to myopia or falling into overly stiff compositions. So, having something to sketch with really helped me stay loose.

few catches... If you own lenses wider than 50mm you will likely need the added wide angle lens attachment. I opted to use it without the added lens. It's much easier to pocket that way. I also did not find a way to zoom into the captures in review mode to inspect details.

In terms of frame accuracy mounted on camera the apps weren't accurate enough for my use. I've tested the Artist's viewfinder, the Alpa E-finder version and most optical finders as well, I prefer to confirm final compositions on the DB or preferably on a large tablet or monitor.
    Stephan
    Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great idea on using a custom sensor size for stitch visualization. I'm setting mine up for that right now.

For wide angle visualization I can highly recommend the Alpa case/lens on a regular iPhone 5 and on my iPhone 6+ I use an iPro Lens case and wide lens which works wonderfully (plus I use the other lenses with the 6+ generally).