The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New HD Pentax-D FA 645 35mm f/3.5 AL IF lens to be announced

Michiel Schierbeek

New HD Pentax-D FA 645 35mm f/3.5 AL IF lens to be announced on November 12th

Read more on PhotoRumors.com:
Photo Rumors

Can't figure out yet what is the real difference with the former model.

algrove

Good question. Maybe the only difference is that it has an o-ring for weather sealing plus some seals here and there.

tsjanik

Photo Rumors

Same number of elements and groups if the B&H listing is accurate, so maybe just the HD coating. Ironically, many users prefer the older 35mm A lens.

turtle

Not too exciting for me personally. With the stunning 28-45mm lens available and 33mm A and FA lenses aplenty on the used market, a 21-23mm prime would have gotten people going, after the discontinuation of the 25mm. A 110mm portrait lens would have been good too :)

Michiel Schierbeek

Not too exciting for me personally. With the stunning 28-45mm lens available and 33mm A and FA lenses aplenty on the used market, a 21-23mm prime would have gotten people going, after the discontinuation of the 25mm. A 110mm portrait lens would have been good too :)
Both very good wishes turtle! A 30mm TS lens may be? :)

Well on the 12th we will know defenitly what the differences are, I hope.

Chris Giles

Photo Rumors

The image shown in the current FA model. So I'd expect it to have a styling and features more in line with the 55mm D-FA - Certainly a silent af motor would be expected, new coatings too. I'd be surprised is there was much of a redesign as the current 35 FA is beautiful, even the A version is.

I'd put money on there being no VR though.

turtle

The field curvature issue with the 35mm FA is what pushes many landscape shooters towards the A version, which seems to perform a little better at the edges at distance. If Pentax has corrected the lens better for landscape users, it will make quite a difference to its desirability.

... and yes a 30mm TS lens would be good!

I'd also love to see a range of more compact optically stunning smaller aperture primes for landscape shooters - rather like Leica did with the 24mm f3.8 Elmar-M and the 21mm f3.4. SR would also not be needed, keeping the cost down.

steve_cor

I Found on a website what the AL suffix is:

AL: Aspheric Lens. Special lens elements that improves the optical quality. Particularly valuable in wide angle lenses.

--Steve.