The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S2 Demo at PMA

dfarkas

Workshop Member
I posted this in the S2 monster thread, but afraid it has gotten a bit lost among the Hassy tangent. So, new thread...

If anyone is interested in getting a hands-on demo of the S2 at PMA, I have set up a time with Christian from Leica USA (a good friend to many here). He will make sure that we can get a private audience with the several key S2 team members including the product manager. The meeting is tentatively scheduled for Thursday, March 5th at 10:30 AM.

Christian said that they will give an in-depth demo, then hold a Q&A session regarding the S2 and other Leica products in the pipeline. This is a really great opportunity to get first-hand info.

If you are interested in joining us, please let me know ASAP so I can give Christian some numbers. I hope to see you guys there. If you can't make it, I will be blogging from the show as well.

Thanks,

David

Christopher

Now if you could just find out if we could use these great S2 lenses on a PhaseOne body ;-)

Or how about a Phasleica body ;-)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
That is what I say that 24 shift is the one I would want. Like someone to get me that S2 mount so i can have a friend start making me a adapter.:D

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Now if you could just find out if we could use these great S2 lenses on a PhaseOne body ;-)

Or how about a Phasleica body ;-)
I will ask at PMA, but based on previous converstaions with Leica I'm pretty doubtful that they will adapt any of the S lenses to the Mamiya AFD system. Hoenstly, Leica is looking at gaining market share with the S2 and giving away its biggest adavantage (optics) to a direct competitor isn't the best strategy for doing that.

David

dfarkas

Workshop Member
BTW I maybe going it all depends and if I did like to get the GetDPI folks together that are.
How about Thursday at 10:30 AM? :D I even have the room reserved.

I'm also open to going out and grabbing some drinks and good converstaion. :)

David

Christopher

I will ask at PMA, but based on previous converstaions with Leica I'm pretty doubtful that they will adapt any of the S lenses to the Mamiya AFD system. Hoenstly, Leica is looking at gaining market share with the S2 and giving away its biggest adavantage (optics) to a direct competitor isn't the best strategy for doing that.

David

That certainly is true, just a little sad and I think the wrong move, but time will tell. I would love to have the lenses and would pay the price, but I don't see the reason spending over 15k on a Leica body. Well if the price in the end is really below that, we can start talking again.

On the other hand it would be so amazing to see the P65+ with Leica glass.

jonoslack

How about Thursday at 10:30 AM? :D I even have the room reserved.

I'm also open to going out and grabbing some drinks and good converstaion. :)

David
HI David
You can't imagine how much I'd like to come, Unfortunately it's rather a long trek!

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I look forward to your excellent blog coverage. Please be sure to post a link here in the forums so we can enjoy the event from afar. Short of actually handling the S2 myself, I consider your impressions and descriptions the next best thing. Maybe they'll even let you post some test captures from the demo cameras? Have fun!

Tim

Guy Mancuso

Okay I am booked to go. Also Leica has sent David and I vouchers for GetDPI members free entrance to the show. Please let David know if you are going so we can give Leica that info on how many will be at the 10:30 showing. Just FYI we can report all we want on our impressions and such on the forums but shooting will not be allowed with the S2 for any posting. Also we need to know so we can send the voucher to you to fill out and fax in to registration

arashm

Ahhh man what a great opportunity
I would normally be all over this, but I'm on a 3 day job :(
David, I'll be forced to enjoy the news through your blog again.
To everyone who's going have a great trip :)
am

LJL

Okay I am booked to go. Also Leica has sent David and I vouchers for GetDPI members free entrance to the show. Please let David know if you are going so we can give Leica that info on how many will be at the 10:30 showing. Just FYI we can report all we want on our impressions and such on the forums but shooting will not be allowed with the S2 for any posting. Also we need to know so we can send the voucher to you to fill out and fax in to registration
Glad to hear this, Guy.

Quick quesiton/clarification: understand not being able to shoot pix and post, but will you be able to shoot any pix and at least be able to do a bit of scrutiny of them there? That is sort of important to being able to really get more of a feel for things. While we would love to see posts and comparison comments, we also understand that things may not be fully locked down as production versions, so they could change. However, it would really be nice if you guys could shoot some stuff there and take more than an LCD look at the images. Just a thought.

LJ

carstenw

I understand that the way it was last time was that you could use only the cards in them, and could not copy the photos off the camera. You should be able to zoom in on the camera itself.

There should be some official sample photos to examine though. I guess Leica can't risk that someone makes a photo showing some artifact not yet tackled via firmware, and posts it, potentially harming future sales.

I have seen some of the old sample photos, and been able to zoom in, and the colours looked great (how accurate I cannot say, but they looked very good), I couldn't see any artifacts, and they were *amazingly* sharp. Sharper than M8 photos, at the pixel level.

LJL

Carsten,
Understood that. I was not asking the guys to take anything away, but to be able to do a more careful scrutiny of things they might test shoot while they are in the Leica demo area. Fully appreciate not wanting stuff on the loose that is not yet final, but if one is going to try to get a good feeling for the camera in real use, you kinda need to shoot and look at what you shot, not just look over prepared images from some other shooting conditions.

It is encouraging to hear that the IQ is high and colors are good. I think folks are expecting that, so if they are delivering, that is very good.

LJ

Guy Mancuso

Glad to hear this, Guy.

Quick quesiton/clarification: understand not being able to shoot pix and post, but will you be able to shoot any pix and at least be able to do a bit of scrutiny of them there? That is sort of important to being able to really get more of a feel for things. While we would love to see posts and comparison comments, we also understand that things may not be fully locked down as production versions, so they could change. However, it would really be nice if you guys could shoot some stuff there and take more than an LCD look at the images. Just a thought.

LJ
:D Going to try. See how far my leash is. LOL

I can spot a red herring 100 miles away when it comes to digital, you folks know that.