The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One XF impressions/reviews, so far?

Paul2660

Took the plunge today! So far so good...and yes, the AF actually seems to work! :thumbs:

Mine was delivered with the new XF focus screen AND the WL finder.
Sweet.

There is some hope I might both see mine before the year end and they appear to be shipping with the new finder.

Paul C

I found a minor "known" problem with the WL finder, where the body reports a viewfinder error. Sometimes this would be fixed by placing the WLF on the body after it has been turned on, and sometimes not. Reported the issue to my dealer (B3K Digital), who passed the info along to Phase, who in turn replied with a firmware update (1.06.1) to solve the issue! :clap:

The new firmware will be officially released "very very soon".

MILESF

I found a minor "known" problem with the WL finder, where the body reports a viewfinder error. Sometimes this would be fixed by placing the WLF on the body after it has been turned on, and sometimes not. Reported the issue to my dealer (B3K Digital), who passed the info along to Phase, who in turn replied with a firmware update (1.06.1) to solve the issue! :clap:

The new firmware will be officially released "very very soon".
Same problem here. Firmware update promised also. That said it doesn't seem to affect the operation of the camera.

Forstus

Does anyone have issues with a power supply drop from the XF Camera when working with a IQ1 series back?

Just received the camera and absolutely love it. But when I took it for walk to test some stuff it always turned off and I couldn't find out why. After a short call with the sales rep, he mentioned that the battery closing latch is pressing the battery against a feather to secure the contact with the electronics. But it looks like, when I take a photo, look at the screen and than let the camera "fall" in my hands into waist height, this will automatically have a big enough shake that the battery is loosing contact with camera, power drops, camera turns off. You could replicate this with shaking the camera (in a way you would normally never do). A small tape on the inside of the battery latch solved the problem, as the battery is than pressed a bit more in. With the IQ3 series that problem won't happen due the shared power management. Waiting for a reply of PhaseONE.

Anyone similar problems? Really annoying walking around with the cam and it turns of every now and than.

Btw you can adjust one button to trigger the flashes with the profoto sync. Didn't test it yet, but customized it already to the front button. (As someone mentioned it would be a nice feature)

The seismograph delay shutter mechanism is one of the best features. Didn't adjusted the hyper focal focus yet, but this would be another killer feature.

How is the battery life so far?

In general the XF is a proper upgrade. And although I received the new screen, PhaseONE didn't mount it proper and I received it with scratches. So I had to send it back. So love the cam, but didn't had the best start.

kdphotography

Btw you can adjust one button to trigger the flashes with the profoto sync. Didn't test it yet, but customized it already to the front button. (As someone mentioned it would be a nice feature)

No issues with my battery latch----but triggering the flashes would be an neat custom option. I'll need to snoop that one out. How did you adjust your settings? One step closer to adjusting power output on the camera :thumbup:

Forstus

No issues with my battery latch----but triggering the flashes would be an neat custom option. I'll need to snoop that one out. How did you adjust your settings? One step closer to adjusting power output on the camera :thumbup:
It is deep in the menu under custom UI. Than adjust one button and there you can put trigger flash

Don Libby

Okay a couple of things of note.

Power - I've seen a 2 to 1 ratio of battery power since I've begun using the XF\IQ180 combo meaning 2-batteries on the IQ to every one battery on the XF.

I've used this combo recently in Bryce shooting sunrises in extreme cold, snow, sleet, wind chill enough to freeze an eskimo's butt :grin: and the only problem I had was with me trying to keep up and not wimp out and head back to the truck.

I also used it with every lens I currently own; 28D, 40-80, 75-150 and 240 with no problems. To be totally truthful I did have an issue with the IQ180 firmware but got that sorted out thanks to my dealer and was back out shooting and never had another issue.

I now have the waist level finder and like it a lot. While it wouldn't replace the 90 degree prism it does give me the chance to capture certain circumstances much easier and I'm very pleaded I have it.

I now am left with only 2-things I'm waiting for - the 35LS and the improved focus screen and frankly I'd rather the 35LS got here first.

Don

Don, I can attest, the new focus screen is an improvement. Combined with the WL finder, manual focusing is now a pleasure! (Something that could NOT be said for the DF+!).

What I also love about the WL finder is that I can now put an entire camera (body, back, and 80mm LS) in my old tiny Lowepro Nova 1 bag, with even enough room for the 90-deg finder in the front pouch and 4 extra batteries.

My experience so far has convinced me to sell my Arca Swiss Rm3di (see the Buy/Sell section!).

One question (to anyone who might know), by default, the XF flips the mirror up upon turning it off. Does anyone know why this would be beneficial? Just to protect the mirror? I've turned that feature off so that I can start to frame a shot without turning on the camera, but I'm wondering if I'm missing out on some advantage by doing so?

Forstus

One question (to anyone who might know), by default, the XF flips the mirror up upon turning it off. Does anyone know why this would be beneficial? Just to protect the mirror? I've turned that feature off so that I can start to frame a shot without turning on the camera, but I'm wondering if I'm missing out on some advantage by doing so?
I was wondering about that too...maybe it is a way to don't over span the feather mechanism and so the whole shutter/mirror system lasts longer? this would be the only explantion I can think of.

rollei8is

I am expecting delivery next week of my XL. Is there any way I can know for certain I have the NEW screen.
may be part number, some identifing marks, anything at all.
All suggestions are welcome.
Thanks,
R----

lance_schad

Workshop Member
I am expecting delivery next week of my XL. Is there any way I can know for certain I have the NEW screen.
may be part number, some identifing marks, anything at all.
All suggestions are welcome.
Thanks,
R----
When you get your XF look at the display screen and the icon next to the mirror-up icon is one that is two squares inside each other. Look through the viewfinder and if you see the same symbol then you have the new screen. If it is a circle with brackets on either side then it is the older one.

L

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I've just got back from using the XF for a week along with the 350 & acromatic backs plus the new wide & zoom LS lenses.

The good news - no major desire to upgrade my IQ150 to a 3 series for now. The bad news? I loved using the XF which is like a totally new camera vs the DF+. What a difference!!

I now have this on my New Years shopping list with both prism and waist level finder. A much more usable camera system now to the degree that I'm enthused by the thought of using my Phase One / Mamiya lenses again.