The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Geared heads that are good enough for 4 kg MFD cameras

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Ken, maybe I should have looked closer at the T5. I ordered a D4 from B&H on 12/4, called them around the 20th for a delivery date and was told it would be another four to five weeks. You would think they could do better than that.
To be fair to B&H, that's not at all unusual for the D4. I waited a few months for mine to eventually arrive. The problem is typically supply from Arca Swiss.

modator

Hi Torger,
the Medium Format and today some high res dslr with absurd pixel race become very demanding in stability... that's the reason about some producer have introduced the seismograph in their body !
Behind of this demand there is a world of math arc degree per per resolution matrix and enlargement factor etc. etc.

In the list You post the Arca Swiss C1 Cube is the king, then the D4 and also the korean copies are substantially good if tightened after been positioned...

If the head don't attach to a good tripod any effort to solve the stability problem is lost.

here's my think about: The load capacity of the head or tripod/support should be at least the QUADRUPLE of the maximum load to maintain stable (taking in count to use the lowest value of the two load capacities, tripod or head, the lowest is to be considered).

Best regards & Happy 2016, Domenico.

modator

To be fair to B&H, that's not at all unusual for the D4. I waited a few months for mine to eventually arrive. The problem is typically supply from Arca Swiss.
Agree...
I think Arca is working almost on demand, if the shops don't have stock the delay to receive a piece is around eight weeks.
Best, Domenico.

TimoK

I got a reply from Linhof. Yes, it is possible to upgrade the older version to the latest. It is € 270 + vat + postage both ways. Bottom line, it is around € 400 for me to change the two small knobs....:toocool:

Haven't decided if it is worth it or not to me. I'm sure it is both fair and reasonable but definitely money I could use towards some other stuff on my wishlist...

Would there possibly be anyone out there that has actually tried the new locking mechanism?
I have now one months experience of the new Micro 3D head. Unfortunately I can not compare to the old model. I only once had my hands on the old one for some minutes at the dealer. So it's hard to say if upgrading is worth of money.
By my experience the new locking system is very good, better than old, I believe. I can use it also with gloves on. After once levelled I can unlock and lock again the pan without loosing the level. Locking seems very accurate.
My first feeling with the old one was that there's too many knobs and it's not easy to know which knob do what. But I'm sure You have learnt it after many years use.

kdphotography

Ken, maybe I should have looked closer at the T5. I ordered a D4 from B&H on 12/4, called them around the 20th for a delivery date and was told it would be another four to five weeks. You would think they could do better than that.
The KPS distributor has also told me he will send me a couple of the new KPS T5 geared ballheads with the click-stop feature (clampless---choose your own top clamp) packaged ready to sell at CI in Carmel. I believe we get a small discount too. I should have them around the end of January/beigning Feb 2016.

ken

RodK

Hi Torger,
the Medium Format and today some high res dslr with absurd pixel race become very demanding in stability... that's the reason about some producer have introduced the seismograph in their body !
Behind of this demand there is a world of math arc degree per per resolution matrix and enlargement factor etc. etc.

In the list You post the Arca Swiss C1 Cube is the king, then the D4 and also the korean copies are substantially good if tightened after been positioned...

If the head don't attach to a good tripod any effort to solve the stability problem is lost.

here's my think about: The load capacity of the head or tripod/support should be at least the QUADRUPLE of the maximum load to maintain stable (taking in count to use the lowest value of the two load capacities, tripod or head, the lowest is to be considered).
Best regards & Happy 2016, Domenico.
Domenico,
I believe we address this issue:
Arca-Swiss calculates maximum load capacity by mounting a 12" or 30cm arm in their heads and adding the weight at the end of it. This assures the usefulness of the heads with various gear configurations.
Happy 2016 to all,
Rod

JohnBrew

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, maybe the mods can move it to the right location?
Rod Klukas of Arca-Swiss saw my post with the problem of obtaining a D4 and contacted me that he had one in stock. I cancelled my order and purchased the one from Rod.
The forum works!! Thanks.

Jamgolf

I wanted to get a geared head for use with my techcam setup and ordered a Sunwayfoto GH-Pro which finally arrived today.
My initial impression is positive and for the ~$400 price I think it is pretty good.
My criteria was price and compactness and Sunwayfoto GH-Pro delivers on both counts.

I have never used (or even seen in person) an Arca cube or D4 so I have no reference but I have no doubt that Arca D4 is smoother and higher quality than this. Still I think this can be a viable option for those seeking a compact solution.

Here is a link to a quick video clip to give an idea:
[video]http://jawad.zenfolio.com/img/s5/v118/o282653245/c2/p1773777235-200.mp4[/video].

Last edited: