The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

"Big" news from Phase One on Monday

archivue

bha !!
Phase One is clever because of Capture one, very valuable asset. Going 24x36 might be a good thing for such a brand.

Just my two cents.

I would just applaud if they come with a 24x36 body.
or even a 24x36 back to be used with cambo, alpa and of course arca swiss !

torger

The changes to saturation/contrast/brightness and the new luma curve is the most interesting I think. I have worked extensively with such models myself recently through my work with DCamProf. It seems like they're finally leaving the old-school RGB-based color model which made applying stronger effects on contrast very hard without undesired side-effects on saturation.

It would be interesting to know if the "Luma curve" is a pure luminance curve, a Lab L curve or a CIECAM 02 J curve, or something custom-made. Using any of the existing standard models usually means that you get a perceptual desaturation if you increase contrast. In my own work I went custom-made as it was the only way I could keep saturation perceptually constant when changing contrast.

Paul2660

Re: "Big" news from Phase One on Monday

If you have a technical camera with simple sync cable then you can disable the darkframe noise reduction by setting "Camera Mode" to "Aerial" and "Shutter Latency" to "Zero". At least this trick works for every shot after the first shot each time you power on the digital back with firmware pre-IQ3 release. Not sure about the latest firmware though.

The CMOS back could benefit from this trick, as you only need to move the slider of "Single Pixel" of C1's noise reduction to 1 to eliminate 99% of the hotpixels. However the CCD backs will get drastically degraded image quality if you disable darkframe noise reduction. That's the main reason to give up the CCD backs for dedicated long exposure shots.
Last time I checked only certain CMOS backs have the aerial mode the IQ250 and 350 should. I don't believe the Credo 50 has that feature. And I can't remember if the IQ150 has it.

Paul C

jagsiva

If you have a technical camera with simple sync cable then you can disable the darkframe noise reduction by setting "Camera Mode" to "Aerial" and "Shutter Latency" to "Zero".
You don't want to be shooting in Zero latency, especially on a tech cam where it takes time between shots. The back will heat up quite fast leading to all kinds of other issues.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Just tried the new color editor. Very nice! I've had problems with sunrise colors turning yellow from the red channel blowing out. It's now easier to select just the offending shades and restore the beautiful coral pink of the dawn light.

-Matt

Last time I checked only certain CMOS backs have the aerial mode the IQ250 and 350 should. I don't believe the Credo 50 has that feature. And I can't remember if the IQ150 has it.

Paul C
The IQ260 and the IQ280 also have it, so I guess all Phase One IQ series have it. I was told that the Credo does not have it.

- - - Updated - - -

You don't want to be shooting in Zero latency, especially on a tech cam where it takes time between shots. The back will heat up quite fast leading to all kinds of other issues.
This is only true for CCD backs. With a Sony CMOS back you don't need to worry about heat - it's simply like how Sony mirrorless cameras work e.g. A7R A7S etc.

Ken_R

The changes to saturation/contrast/brightness and the new luma curve is the most interesting I think. I have worked extensively with such models myself recently through my work with DCamProf. It seems like they're finally leaving the old-school RGB-based color model which made applying stronger effects on contrast very hard without undesired side-effects on saturation.
This effect on saturation drives me nuts on C1 pro otherwise I love it. Just dowloaded v9. Have a fresh batch of IQ160 files to process. We will see how it goes.

I think the new changes/additions will have a huge effect in achieving great results w/ C1pro without needing to edit in PS. It definitely will make C1pro much more appealing to more people.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member

Paul C
IQ150 does too IIRC, as did the IQ260. I can check in the morning.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member

Actually I've never really had a problem with zero latency with the IQ260 so long as you remembered to turn it off when not needed.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Actually I've never really had a problem with zero latency with the IQ260 so long as you remembered to turn it off when not needed.
Same as well. Hated that one shot cable. Actually it was more than hate it was a rip off. Lol

Paul2660

I need to play with the "temp"gauge on my 260 to see if it makes much of a difference, zero L on or off.

In the summer, I had a trip where I forgot my Kapture group one shot cable and had to use zero latency. The 260 after a morning shoot was considerably warm to the touch, this was in 100% humidity and 95 degree temp. But if I remembered to turn the back off after each set, it seemed fine.

What I found caused the greatest heat build up was Live View, on the 260. With that one, I could sometimes feel the back get quite hot. Where as Live View on the CMOS never seemed to create any extra heat.

Paul C

jagsiva

I found it heating up quickly on the IQ180 and IQ260 Achromatic. The normal IQ260's long-exposure implementation could have addressed this.

The other issue I had was battery drain....it drains faster than the fuel tank in my boat!