The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One 9 Released, Free upgrades with COMP Class

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Can we upgrade from the latert version of C1 8 pro...is there an upgrade option on the site? Thanks, Eleanor
Absolutely. You can upgrade with your dealer or at phaseone.com. Pricing is at the bottom of our article, including the option for a free upgrade with COMP class, EDU discount options, and multi seat licenses.

gerald.d

It adds value to me.
It doesn't add value "to the forum".

If people want to know when a dealer makes a new post on their site, they can of course subscribe to that dealer's mailing list.

Would it not be more useful to have actual content - rather than links - posted here?

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Brian Mosley

I appreciate the announcement here - I'd appreciate it even more if Phase One would offer a 15% discount to GetDPI members :grin:

Kind regards

Brian

dougpeterson

Workshop Member

If people want to know when a dealer makes a new post on their site, they can of course subscribe to that dealer's mailing list.

Would it not be more useful to have actual content - rather than links - posted here?
Gerald,
Respectfully, I don't just post links and then leave. I agree that would not add much value. I stick around and answer questions and actively participate in the conversation.

After 2800+ posts over seven years, most of which are answers to forum member questions, and a front page article, I think my contribution to the forum is quite solid.

To everyone else,
Please feel free to post questions, concerns, et cetera about Capture One 9. I've been part of the development process for several months and spoken at length with the developers.

Steve Hendrix

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Gerald, I often agree with some of your pointed discourses on blatant sales posts by vendors. In this case though I have to say that while I have affection for Doug, he is still my competitor after all, but I am siding with Doug here (though I may, in his famous words, be biased). Your point seems to only be that while others may find the information useful, the price of clicking on a link and reading it from another site is a deal breaker for you. Is this really the case?

Let's be real honest here. Someone takes the time to research and write up a contextual post regarding a new product, that is totally in the wheelhouse of this forum, and if you have to click a link to read it, which of course, takes you to that website, that's too much for you? Does that mean no member here can post a link to any useful or interesting information, but instead they must copy/paste or re-write or what-have-you, the information onto the forum itself? Every member would follow this rule? This incudes you as well, I presume, because you certainly have posted your share of embedded links.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Just to point out this was also directed to download directly at Phase One also and not just a dealer. It's software that we all use and I'm shooting Sony not what either of these dealers sell.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
is the flight ticket from france included in the deal ?
is it in french ?
;-)
In all seriousness if you ever want to come visit we've made some very good deals with people regarding training and/or equipment knowing they were traveling from far away.

We had a guy last year ride his motorcycle from Florida to NYC to attend a COMP.

Otherwise you should check with the French dealer; last I spoke to HQ they were thinking about a training in France in 2016. I know several French techs have traveled to London for training there, so there is demand.

cly

Perhaps a stupid question but I can't remember what it was like when v8 was released: can you install v9 and still have a working v8?

I suppose that sessions will be upgraded when opened with v9 and this is fine but I'd prefer if there was no need to reinstall v8 from a backup if there are issues :) But I'd like to have a look at v9 right now ...

Chris

Brian Mosley

Perhaps a stupid question but I can't remember what it was like when v8 was released: can you install v9 and still have a working v8?

I suppose that sessions will be upgraded when opened with v9 and this is fine but I'd prefer if there was no need to reinstall v8 from a backup if there are issues :) But I'd like to have a look at v9 right now ...

Chris
I've just upgraded and V8 is still there.

Cheers

Brian

JeRuFo

Gerald, I often agree with some of your pointed discourses on blatant sales posts by vendors. In this case though I have to say that while I have affection for Doug, he is still my competitor after all, but I am siding with Doug here (though I may, in his famous words, be biased). Your point seems to only be that while others may find the information useful, the price of clicking on a link and reading it from another site is a deal breaker for you. Is this really the case?

Let's be real honest here. Someone takes the time to research and write up a contextual post regarding a new product, that is totally in the wheelhouse of this forum, and if you have to click a link to read it, which of course, takes you to that website, that's too much for you? Does that mean no member here can post a link to any useful or interesting information, but instead they must copy/paste or re-write or what-have-you, the information onto the forum itself? Every member would follow this rule? This incudes you as well, I presume, because you certainly have posted your share of embedded links.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
While I agree with you and Doug about you helping along forum members and thus keeping a direct line open with your customers, it is hard to ignore you both preparing articles in advance (with almost every big new product), with information supplied to dealers, that can only be read on the respective sites of your companies and post these in separate threads. It is a fine line between an advertising campaign and sharing experience with the product. You both can be found on both sides of it, even if it is in a very transparant way.

All in all I do value your contributions highly, it makes it easy when all the info you need can be found in the same place.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member

Chris
v9 uses its own Application Name, Application Support folder, and preference files. So it can, in theory, run side by side with v8.

However, any session upgraded to v9 cannot be opened in v8*, and any image adjustments made after the upgrade to v9 engine will not be readable in v8. So in practice you should keep v9 in a "quarantine" from the main workflow (only working on copies of files, or on a secondary computer) until you are comfortable to fully switch, and then switch 100%. Rarely do we recommend doing this with the first release of any new software (whether from Microsoft, Adobe, or Apple).

*Of course you can still access the raw files by moving them into a v8 session.

-----

Or to quote from the article I linked to...

"Anytime a major new version of software is released, whether by Apple, Adobe, or Phase One, it is always advisable to take a conservative view of its immediate adoption. Brand new versions often have quirks or bugs that can be annoying or worse. We advise following the Software Upgrade Golden Rules:
- Make a backup (e.g. using SuperDuper) of your system before the update.
- Don’t upgrade right before or during a shoot or production.
- Always test after updating.

As usual, Digital Transitions will be testing this new version of Capture One and will be keeping close tabs with our clients that do the upgrade. Our clients are always welcome to call us to ask what we are seeing regarding stability of new versions of Capture One."

Steve Hendrix

While I agree with you and Doug about you helping along forum members and thus keeping a direct line open with your customers, it is hard to ignore you both preparing articles in advance (with almost every big new product), with information supplied to dealers, that can only be read on the respective sites of your companies and post these in separate threads. It is a fine line between an advertising campaign and sharing experience with the product. You both can be found on both sides of it, even if it is in a very transparant way.

All in all I do value your contributions highly, it makes it easy when all the info you need can be found in the same place.

I understand a bit what you're saying, although I have to go back to the fact that many members post content that is embedded in a URL link taking you outside the forum. And so in those cases it is ok that whoever is hosting that external site gets some people from the forum to visit, but in our case, 2 forum members who have contributed to the forum for years should not? Since major product announcements from our respective primary partners happen, what, 2-3 times a year, it seems like a relatively modest point. Also, keep in mind that many of the links that we post are not new product announcements, but some other relevant technical information, product performance evaluations and tests, etc. The content from these links do not always translate easily to a forum post.

I do understand your point about having separate threads regarding a new product announcement. Unfortunately we are 2 separate, and in some ways, quite different companies, and while the information can be similar, there are often differences in the content or perspective of what we are posting.

Ultimately, I do see the points that you (and Gerald) are making. It's really not my call or Doug's about whether this continues. If the membership votes for no embedded content and creates a rule, then of course we'll follow it. It just seems like a fine line, as you put it, that we would not be allowed to post embedded helpful content links.

I will say for my part that maybe as a compromise, whenever it is possible within the constraints of time and formatting, I will paste-post as much of the content as I can into the forum thread itself, but I still feel it makes sense to have an external link posted alongside. Much of the content is multi-articled (hey, a new word?), meaning there are numerous related links for content associated with the primary subject (for example, initial performance tests, numerous perspective and context-based editorials, etc.), and some may find having theses associated articles together to be beneficial.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration