The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One 9 Released, Free upgrades with COMP Class

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'm about to update but I need to know is processing times better, same or worse. I have 15 thousand images to process come The week of Jan 4th and I'm on a time crunch. I need the fastest boat in the water. I'm shooting Sony bodies and I'll use compressed and crop mode. I don't need big files

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
A lot will depend on your computer, the processor speed, the RAM and the graphics card.

I am waiting to get my new computer until spring of next year as my macbook pro is 4 years old and is "showing its age" so to speak.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I'm about to update but I need to know is processing times better, same or worse. I have 15 thousand images to process
Software Upgrade Golden Rules #2 from the linked c1v9 article: "Don’t upgrade right before or during a shoot or production."

If processing smaller JPGs you'll find the new rescaling algorithms much improved. But I wouldn't pull the trigger right before setting off to process 15k images.

Edit: just re-read your message. If the job is in early January then this is a different matter. I suspect by then we'll have a 9.01 or even 9.02 and if you have time to update and test you may well be doing the job in v9.

gerald.d

Gerald, I often agree with some of your pointed discourses on blatant sales posts by vendors. In this case though I have to say that while I have affection for Doug, he is still my competitor after all, but I am siding with Doug here (though I may, in his famous words, be biased). Your point seems to only be that while others may find the information useful, the price of clicking on a link and reading it from another site is a deal breaker for you. Is this really the case?

Let's be real honest here. Someone takes the time to research and write up a contextual post regarding a new product, that is totally in the wheelhouse of this forum, and if you have to click a link to read it, which of course, takes you to that website, that's too much for you? Does that mean no member here can post a link to any useful or interesting information, but instead they must copy/paste or re-write or what-have-you, the information onto the forum itself? Every member would follow this rule? This incudes you as well, I presume, because you certainly have posted your share of embedded links.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Really? I've posted embedded links encouraging people to pop off to my website to purchase services or products?

Guy Mancuso

Software Upgrade Golden Rules #2 from the linked c1v9 article: "Don’t upgrade right before or during a shoot or production."

If processing smaller JPGs you'll find the new rescaling algorithms much improved. But I wouldn't pull the trigger right before setting off to process 15k images.

Edit: just re-read your message. If the job is in early January then this is a different matter. I suspect by then we'll have a 9.01 or even 9.02 and if you have time to update and test you may well be doing the job in v9.
Yea now is the time to do it so Im doing it now. I can always revert back since i still have the Capture 8 license.

Thanks Doug appreciate it and yes they are jpegs output so that is good news.

Guy Mancuso

Doug should I delete all of 8 first. I have backup for workspaces and such to insert after i load

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Doug should I delete all of 8 first. I have backup for workspaces and such to insert after i load
v9 uses a different app name by default ("Capture One 9" rather than "Capture One") and uses a separate preference file. So it is easier to install alongside (rather than replacing) a previous version like v8.

That said any session you open in v9 will be upgraded (after asking for permission to do so) and will NOT be backwards compatible with v8. The raw images themselves are, of course, still able to be opened in v8.

Every new version has seemed to decrease the rate at which such update problems occur. So I've changed my official recommendation from "always delete all preferences and app support files" to "only do so if you have problems after installing the new version".

Egor

Hmmm...must we upgrade our macs to yosemite?
I like the new features but there is other software compatibilities I need to check.
Looks good though :)

tjv

Off topic but related to Phase announcements, is there any sign of a firmware upgrade for Credo backs to use on the XF. Am contemplating a mount swap but unsure if I'll go H or M.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Hmmm...must we upgrade our macs to yosemite?
I like the new features but there is other software compatibilities I need to check.
Looks good though :)
Correct. Compatible with 10.10 and 10.11 on the Mac side.

- - - Updated - - -

Off topic but related to Phase announcements, is there any sign of a firmware upgrade for Credo backs to use on the XF. Am contemplating a mount swap but unsure if I'll go H or M.
Phase One has said it will happen, but there is no news to share in this regard at the moment.

jlm

Workshop Member
Any improvement in the resolution/quality of displayed images?
I consistently see a considerable difference between the same image viewed in c1 compared to pshop

Steve Hendrix

Really? I've posted embedded links encouraging people to pop off to my website to purchase services or products?
The link takes them directly to the content page. Yes we do sell the products that we produce unique content for. So it is the fact that we do sell products that seems to be the problem you have, and you're not willing to accept that in return for all of the content and information - which requires a considerable amount of time and effort on our part - that Doug and I provide the forum?

I feel this side discussion has sidetracked the initial post far more than the discomfort of Doug posting an outside link with helpful information regarding an important new product to the membership. And BTW, he has continued his involvement with the thread by adding additional information and answers, the same way that he and I always do. I respectfully suggest you raise your issue with the moderators or start a new separate thread.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Any improvement in the resolution/quality of displayed images?
I consistently see a considerable difference between the same image viewed in c1 compared to pshop
When applying a perspective correction or significant lens correction there is a marked improvement over C1v8 (and therefore over any competing software). This is due to a new, and class leading, raw-rescaling algorithm.

This also improves quality seen when processing small jpgs, which had previously lagged behind competitive solutions.

---

I'm in LA the rest of the week for our free Phase One Tune Up Day to celebrate our new office location in LA. So I'm afraid I'll be off the forums until the weekend. Feel free to email me any questions, or pose them here and maybe Steve or another user can answer.