Site Sponsors

Thread: Capture One 9 Released, Free upgrades with COMP Class

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Capture One 9 Released, Free upgrades with COMP Class

I invite you all to read our in depth article on Capture One 9.

We are providing free upgrades to Capture One v9 (see bottom of articles for details) with the purchase of one of our $199 Capture One Masters Program classes in NYC and LA.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Capture One 9 Released, Free upgrades with COMP Class

Can we upgrade from the latert version of C1 8 pro...is there an upgrade option on the site? Thanks, Eleanor

Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post

We are providing free upgrades to Capture One v9 (see bottom of articles for details) with the purchase of one of our $199 Capture One Masters Program classes in NYC and LA.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by eleanorbrown View Post
    Can we upgrade from the latert version of C1 8 pro...is there an upgrade option on the site? Thanks, Eleanor
    Absolutely. You can upgrade with your dealer or at phaseone.com. Pricing is at the bottom of our article, including the option for a free upgrade with COMP class, EDU discount options, and multi seat licenses.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

When you open C1 Pro 8, a pop up box appears offering the upgrade, for $99.

Post Thanks / Like

Using voucher code AMBROSE will net you 10% off purchase/upgrade
    Rick Rose
    www.RickrPhoto.com
    HasselPhase
    Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Sigh.

This advertising is so tiresome.

The post adds no value to the forum whatsoever.

Why is this allowed to continue?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It adds value to me.
    Bill CB

www.billcaulfeild-browne.ca
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Caulfeild-Browne View Post
    It adds value to me.
    It doesn't add value "to the forum".

If people want to know when a dealer makes a new post on their site, they can of course subscribe to that dealer's mailing list.

Would it not be more useful to have actual content - rather than links - posted here?

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I appreciate the announcement here - I'd appreciate it even more if Phase One would offer a 15% discount to GetDPI members

Kind regards

Brian

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gerald.d View Post

If people want to know when a dealer makes a new post on their site, they can of course subscribe to that dealer's mailing list.

Would it not be more useful to have actual content - rather than links - posted here?
    Gerald,
    Respectfully, I don't just post links and then leave. I agree that would not add much value. I stick around and answer questions and actively participate in the conversation.

After 2800+ posts over seven years, most of which are answers to forum member questions, and a front page article, I think my contribution to the forum is quite solid.

To everyone else,
    Please feel free to post questions, concerns, et cetera about Capture One 9. I've been part of the development process for several months and spoken at length with the developers.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    I appreciate the announcement here - I'd appreciate it even more if Phase One would offer a 15% discount to GetDPI members

Kind regards

Brian
    Now that would be nice for sure. I'm feeling poor right now. lol
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Gerald, I often agree with some of your pointed discourses on blatant sales posts by vendors. In this case though I have to say that while I have affection for Doug, he is still my competitor after all, but I am siding with Doug here (though I may, in his famous words, be biased). Your point seems to only be that while others may find the information useful, the price of clicking on a link and reading it from another site is a deal breaker for you. Is this really the case?

Let's be real honest here. Someone takes the time to research and write up a contextual post regarding a new product, that is totally in the wheelhouse of this forum, and if you have to click a link to read it, which of course, takes you to that website, that's too much for you? Does that mean no member here can post a link to any useful or interesting information, but instead they must copy/paste or re-write or what-have-you, the information onto the forum itself? Every member would follow this rule? This incudes you as well, I presume, because you certainly have posted your share of embedded links.

Steve Hendrix
    Capture Integration
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Digital Cam: • Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Sinar • Authorized Reseller
    TechCam: • Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar • Authorized Reseller

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just to point out this was also directed to download directly at Phase One also and not just a dealer. It's software that we all use and I'm shooting Sony not what either of these dealers sell.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

is the flight ticket from france included in the deal ?
    is it in french ?
    ;-)

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by archivue View Post
    is the flight ticket from france included in the deal ?
    is it in french ?
    ;-)
    In all seriousness if you ever want to come visit we've made some very good deals with people regarding training and/or equipment knowing they were traveling from far away.

We had a guy last year ride his motorcycle from Florida to NYC to attend a COMP.

Otherwise you should check with the French dealer; last I spoke to HQ they were thinking about a training in France in 2016. I know several French techs have traveled to London for training there, so there is demand.

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps a stupid question but I can't remember what it was like when v8 was released: can you install v9 and still have a working v8?

I suppose that sessions will be upgraded when opened with v9 and this is fine but I'd prefer if there was no need to reinstall v8 from a backup if there are issues :-) But I'd like to have a look at v9 right now ...

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cly View Post
    Perhaps a stupid question but I can't remember what it was like when v8 was released: can you install v9 and still have a working v8?

I suppose that sessions will be upgraded when opened with v9 and this is fine but I'd prefer if there was no need to reinstall v8 from a backup if there are issues :-) But I'd like to have a look at v9 right now ...

Chris
    I've just upgraded and V8 is still there.

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hendrix View Post
    Gerald, I often agree with some of your pointed discourses on blatant sales posts by vendors. In this case though I have to say that while I have affection for Doug, he is still my competitor after all, but I am siding with Doug here (though I may, in his famous words, be biased). Your point seems to only be that while others may find the information useful, the price of clicking on a link and reading it from another site is a deal breaker for you. Is this really the case?

Let's be real honest here. Someone takes the time to research and write up a contextual post regarding a new product, that is totally in the wheelhouse of this forum, and if you have to click a link to read it, which of course, takes you to that website, that's too much for you? Does that mean no member here can post a link to any useful or interesting information, but instead they must copy/paste or re-write or what-have-you, the information onto the forum itself? Every member would follow this rule? This incudes you as well, I presume, because you certainly have posted your share of embedded links.

Steve Hendrix
    Capture Integration
    While I agree with you and Doug about you helping along forum members and thus keeping a direct line open with your customers, it is hard to ignore you both preparing articles in advance (with almost every big new product), with information supplied to dealers, that can only be read on the respective sites of your companies and post these in separate threads. It is a fine line between an advertising campaign and sharing experience with the product. You both can be found on both sides of it, even if it is in a very transparant way.

All in all I do value your contributions highly, it makes it easy when all the info you need can be found in the same place.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cly View Post

Chris
    v9 uses its own Application Name, Application Support folder, and preference files. So it can, in theory, run side by side with v8.

However, any session upgraded to v9 cannot be opened in v8*, and any image adjustments made after the upgrade to v9 engine will not be readable in v8. So in practice you should keep v9 in a "quarantine" from the main workflow (only working on copies of files, or on a secondary computer) until you are comfortable to fully switch, and then switch 100%. Rarely do we recommend doing this with the first release of any new software (whether from Microsoft, Adobe, or Apple).

*Of course you can still access the raw files by moving them into a v8 session.

-----

Or to quote from the article I linked to...

"Anytime a major new version of software is released, whether by Apple, Adobe, or Phase One, it is always advisable to take a conservative view of its immediate adoption. Brand new versions often have quirks or bugs that can be annoying or worse. We advise following the Software Upgrade Golden Rules:
    - Make a backup (e.g. using SuperDuper) of your system before the update.
    - Don’t upgrade right before or during a shoot or production.
    - Always test after updating.

As usual, Digital Transitions will be testing this new version of Capture One and will be keeping close tabs with our clients that do the upgrade. Our clients are always welcome to call us to ask what we are seeing regarding stability of new versions of Capture One."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JeRuFo View Post
    While I agree with you and Doug about you helping along forum members and thus keeping a direct line open with your customers, it is hard to ignore you both preparing articles in advance (with almost every big new product), with information supplied to dealers, that can only be read on the respective sites of your companies and post these in separate threads. It is a fine line between an advertising campaign and sharing experience with the product. You both can be found on both sides of it, even if it is in a very transparant way.

All in all I do value your contributions highly, it makes it easy when all the info you need can be found in the same place.

I understand a bit what you're saying, although I have to go back to the fact that many members post content that is embedded in a URL link taking you outside the forum. And so in those cases it is ok that whoever is hosting that external site gets some people from the forum to visit, but in our case, 2 forum members who have contributed to the forum for years should not? Since major product announcements from our respective primary partners happen, what, 2-3 times a year, it seems like a relatively modest point. Also, keep in mind that many of the links that we post are not new product announcements, but some other relevant technical information, product performance evaluations and tests, etc. The content from these links do not always translate easily to a forum post.

I do understand your point about having separate threads regarding a new product announcement. Unfortunately we are 2 separate, and in some ways, quite different companies, and while the information can be similar, there are often differences in the content or perspective of what we are posting.

Ultimately, I do see the points that you (and Gerald) are making. It's really not my call or Doug's about whether this continues. If the membership votes for no embedded content and creates a rule, then of course we'll follow it. It just seems like a fine line, as you put it, that we would not be allowed to post embedded helpful content links.

I will say for my part that maybe as a compromise, whenever it is possible within the constraints of time and formatting, I will paste-post as much of the content as I can into the forum thread itself, but I still feel it makes sense to have an external link posted alongside. Much of the content is multi-articled (hey, a new word?), meaning there are numerous related links for content associated with the primary subject (for example, initial performance tests, numerous perspective and context-based editorials, etc.), and some may find having theses associated articles together to be beneficial.

Steve Hendrix
    Capture Integration

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm about to update but I need to know is processing times better, same or worse. I have 15 thousand images to process come The week of Jan 4th and I'm on a time crunch. I need the fastest boat in the water. I'm shooting Sony bodies and I'll use compressed and crop mode. I don't need big files

Post Thanks / Like

A lot will depend on your computer, the processor speed, the RAM and the graphics card.

I am waiting to get my new computer until spring of next year as my macbook pro is 4 years old and is "showing its age" so to speak.
    Bryan

“You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” — Ansel Adams

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I'm about to update but I need to know is processing times better, same or worse. I have 15 thousand images to process
    Software Upgrade Golden Rules #2 from the linked c1v9 article: "Don’t upgrade right before or during a shoot or production."

If processing smaller JPGs you'll find the new rescaling algorithms much improved. But I wouldn't pull the trigger right before setting off to process 15k images.

Edit: just re-read your message. If the job is in early January then this is a different matter. I suspect by then we'll have a 9.01 or even 9.02 and if you have time to update and test you may well be doing the job in v9.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hendrix View Post

Steve Hendrix
    Capture Integration
    Really? I've posted embedded links encouraging people to pop off to my website to purchase services or products?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Software Upgrade Golden Rules #2 from the linked c1v9 article: "Don’t upgrade right before or during a shoot or production."

If processing smaller JPGs you'll find the new rescaling algorithms much improved. But I wouldn't pull the trigger right before setting off to process 15k images.

Edit: just re-read your message. If the job is in early January then this is a different matter. I suspect by then we'll have a 9.01 or even 9.02 and if you have time to update and test you may well be doing the job in v9.
    Yea now is the time to do it so Im doing it now. I can always revert back since i still have the Capture 8 license.

Thanks Doug appreciate it and yes they are jpegs output so that is good news.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Doug should I delete all of 8 first. I have backup for workspaces and such to insert after i load

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Doug should I delete all of 8 first. I have backup for workspaces and such to insert after i load
    v9 uses a different app name by default ("Capture One 9" rather than "Capture One") and uses a separate preference file. So it is easier to install alongside (rather than replacing) a previous version like v8.

That said any session you open in v9 will be upgraded (after asking for permission to do so) and will NOT be backwards compatible with v8. The raw images themselves are, of course, still able to be opened in v8.

Every new version has seemed to decrease the rate at which such update problems occur. So I've changed my official recommendation from "always delete all preferences and app support files" to "only do so if you have problems after installing the new version".

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

All good . Updated than deleted all of capture 8. Good to go and it looks nice

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm...must we upgrade our macs to yosemite?
    I like the new features but there is other software compatibilities I need to check.
    Looks good though

Post Thanks / Like

Off topic but related to Phase announcements, is there any sign of a firmware upgrade for Credo backs to use on the XF. Am contemplating a mount swap but unsure if I'll go H or M.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Egor View Post
    Hmmm...must we upgrade our macs to yosemite?
    I like the new features but there is other software compatibilities I need to check.
    Looks good though
    Correct. Compatible with 10.10 and 10.11 on the Mac side.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tjv View Post
    Off topic but related to Phase announcements, is there any sign of a firmware upgrade for Credo backs to use on the XF. Am contemplating a mount swap but unsure if I'll go H or M.
    Phase One has said it will happen, but there is no news to share in this regard at the moment.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Any improvement in the resolution/quality of displayed images?
    I consistently see a considerable difference between the same image viewed in c1 compared to pshop

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Really? I've posted embedded links encouraging people to pop off to my website to purchase services or products?
    The link takes them directly to the content page. Yes we do sell the products that we produce unique content for. So it is the fact that we do sell products that seems to be the problem you have, and you're not willing to accept that in return for all of the content and information - which requires a considerable amount of time and effort on our part - that Doug and I provide the forum?

I feel this side discussion has sidetracked the initial post far more than the discomfort of Doug posting an outside link with helpful information regarding an important new product to the membership. And BTW, he has continued his involvement with the thread by adding additional information and answers, the same way that he and I always do. I respectfully suggest you raise your issue with the moderators or start a new separate thread.

Steve Hendrix
    Capture Integration
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

does it support the Leica SL already?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    Any improvement in the resolution/quality of displayed images?
    I consistently see a considerable difference between the same image viewed in c1 compared to pshop
    When applying a perspective correction or significant lens correction there is a marked improvement over C1v8 (and therefore over any competing software). This is due to a new, and class leading, raw-rescaling algorithm.

This also improves quality seen when processing small jpgs, which had previously lagged behind competitive solutions.

---

I'm in LA the rest of the week for our free Phase One Tune Up Day to celebrate our new office location in LA. So I'm afraid I'll be off the forums until the weekend. Feel free to email me any questions, or pose them here and maybe Steve or another user can answer.