The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The H5D-50c is now available at just £9,795

rmueller

Yes, same in Euro-Land, 12500 EUR (12900 for H5D50c + WiFi), which means a 40% discount, just now got email from Hasselblad about this promotion. Guess
they want to sell as much as possible before year end. Next year is photokina, my
dealer suggested not to upgrade at the moment which seems to indicate something ;-)

Anyway, great deal for folks who want to take the plunge into MFD IMO.

Regards,
Ralf

T.Dascalos

Not Available
PSA for those thinking of a new MFD camera. i guess something similar is happening in other countries
All Hasselblad products that are related with the CMOS sensor are offered at prices that are half or less than the respective equipment from competition... The policy is not new... It has started for a few months now and its getting better all the time, it clearly seems that it won't stop either. MO is that it will affect pricing of all MF products out of all makers since it attracts too much attention on Hasselblad... It should affect S/H offerings too.

That said, one must remember the Leica S007 price surprise after introduction which also seems that it is a permanent policy (which might get even better soon). I would expect Phase One to follow soon...

modator

On Hasselblad web and by different mail I received the Christmas promotion too...

http://www.hasselblad.com/products/how-to-capture-an-award-winning-hasselblad-h5d-50c-at-40-off

Well I think 40% of reduction is a very big step down, :loco: a little offending price for who (me included) bought this camera near two years ago....at double of this price...

I think the situation is clear, Hasselblad are searching to acquire new customers as others do, and with this strategy I think the price is getting interesting also for who is looking at high end DSLR or Leica's M / S2 etc..

On the other hand it's like they are clearing the stocks in the wait of a new line of products, maybe the H6D is coming ?

This is very intriguing because I don't hear about new sensor or improvement, maybe they are projecting a new body with better connectivity and more capable cpu / Lcd displays / viewfinder / touchscreen etc. to align their offer to the others.

Best regards, Domenico.

torger

The CFV-50c at $10k is actually right at the maximum acceptable limit for a digital back for me personally. I would buy it for my tech camera if the CMOS just had worked well with my Digitar wides (which it unfortunately doesn't do). It's promising for the future though if digital backs with the latest technology can be at this price level, at least from time to time.

T.Dascalos

Not Available
On Hasselblad web and by different mail I received the Christmas promotion too...

http://www.hasselblad.com/products/how-to-capture-an-award-winning-hasselblad-h5d-50c-at-40-off

I think the situation is clear, Hasselblad are searching to acquire new customers as others do, and with this strategy I think the price is getting interesting also for who is looking at high end DSLR or Leica's M / S2 etc..

On the other hand it's like they are clearing the stocks in the wait of a new line of products, maybe the H6D is coming ?
It's not what they are doing... They just "move" the Sony Cmos sensor to be their "basic" product... (they replace the H5D-40 with it...) Obviously there are new sensors coming... but they are to replace the larger in line sensors... I believe the reason that we hear nothing about new sensors is that they will use nothing out of Dalsa or Kodak anymore... It should be all larger than 33x44mm in physical size Cmos and exclusive to them... I think that if they expand into releasing the backs for third party cameras (other than Mamiya/P1 - they won't do backs for M645 mount for sure - but they will "take" the backs as to attract their customers), competition may be caught with their "pants down"...

KeithL

I left medium format digital for reasons other than cost but had I not then cost would have become a reason to leave.

It's good to see Hasselblad, Leica and Pentax keeping the cost of entry to a manageable level.

aztwang

So question..? In the new car business when the manufacturer offers huge discounts or rebates, that action resonates in the resale world for years and effects the same model going back several years...they all loose value.....SO, is this the same in the MFD world? Has re-sale pricing on the H5D-50C been affected?...Just asking....;)

bab

So question..? In the new car business when the manufacturer offers huge discounts or rebates, that action resonates in the resale world for years and effects the same model going back several years...they all loose value.....SO, is this the same in the MFD world? Has re-sale pricing on the H5D-50C been affected?...Just asking....;)
It seems the deal is valid for the next 30 days, prudent considering how many buyers are on the fence and need a little push!

A couple of ways to look at it with a new economic twist.
Used to be wait for newer model trade in old model lose some money wait three years do it again that's when the camera companies retail price was completely adjusted for leasing...(hence double)
Now it seems MDF market has shrunk, so now you buy after camera is released with a factory incentive and lose half or more of the purchase price when selling before they announce a new model if not you lose 70% after newer model is released.
My question more importantly is what about the dealer?

I have. H5D-50 it's been and still is a great tool providing me with all I need, that said I would not jump on the C but rather take my looses when they offer a camera that does provide solutions that would change the way I presently shoot with the H5D which the C doesn't.

Look at it in a practical way you shoot and record a file now give that file to someone across the world have them PS the file and give it back say ready for a 30x40 print take it to a printer have them print it. Then ask anyone in the chain if they thought the file was better because you made it with the new C!

T.Dascalos

Not Available
It seems the deal is valid for the next 30 days, prudent considering how many buyers are on the fence and need a little push!
Judging out of the past 3 months "30 days offerings" from Hasselblad, after 30 days there will be an even better offering... It is clearly a permanent price reduction that applies to the Cmos sensor (only) products... Last month there was an offering for the H5D-40 too (their entry product) as if there wasn't one, H5D-50c would have cannibalized the sales of it... But they've stopped the offering on the "40", yet improving further the offer on the "50c", which can only mean that they've sold the stock of "40"s and now they want 50c to cannibalize the section... (hence the conclusion that they are moving 50c as to be their new entry level...). In fact, if one asks a dealer for an H5D-60, the first reply he has is... "why not a 50c?" ...which means that they don't want to make & sell other than the Cmos sensor anymore... hence the conclusion that they will have new products as to replace the H5D-60 too and they keep it listed (at a crazy price) only for the line not to seem represented by one product only...

Another hint that leads to the same conclusion, is that the line of 3 stand alone backs they released, are only of the same Cmos sensor... they clearly don't want to sell what product has a different sensor and thus they price them as not to sell... But the Cmos sensor product "offerings" won't stop... They may even improve further in the future... It clearly is a new pricing policy for their younger products... not offerings to boost sales temporarily...

torger

When the 645 full-frame CMOS arrives I'm sure CCD is history in no-time, I don't think they will exist in parallel for very long as CCD won't sell.

M

mjr

As an owner of MF (ish) ccd and cmos running side by side, I'm not sure I understand why ccd backs would die out when larger cmos sensors become available, for me personally I prefer the files at base ISO from the ccd even though the differences are small, for personal work I tend to shoot exclusively on a tripod at base ISO. I've been looking at tech cams for an upcoming job and if I was to buy a back now it would be an IQ180, even if the equivalent cmos back was available, especially as it would likely be cheaper! CCD may indeed die out but I feel it would be a shame as there is nothing lacking in ccd files shot well.

Mat

T.Dascalos

Not Available
When the 645 full-frame CMOS arrives I'm sure CCD is history in no-time, I don't think they will exist in parallel for very long as CCD won't sell.
True... People are asking for their payed money quality LV on their backs more than anything else, they just can't have their back sitting by the side and use a mirrorless on a mini view camera instead.... S/H CCD backs should also drop considerably as S/H CMos will start entering the S/H market... I wonder, when people start selling their CFV-50s for a larger CMos sensor, what will be the S/H price? ...6k maybe? and then what will be the S/H price of a P1 or Credo with the same sensor? ...surely it can't differ by much... and then I would expect the large sensor CCD to be less at the S/H market as they will look "ancient" when compared to the current CMOS for their LV, DR and higher ISO...

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
The CFV-50c at $10k is actually right at the maximum acceptable limit for a digital back for me personally.
It may be that the H5D-50c pricing is now more in line with what one could do with the CFV-50c back and an H5X body. These are now very similarly priced.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
.... I've been looking at tech cams for an upcoming job and if I was to buy a back now it would be an IQ180, even if the equivalent cmos back was available, especially as it would likely be cheaper! CCD may indeed die out but I feel it would be a shame as there is nothing lacking in ccd files shot well.

Mat
Mat,

I agree that the IQ180 is the sweet spot for used and would be my next choice for a system for use alongside my IQ150. There is still a noticeable difference IMHO in the look of the 80mp files shot well. The IQ180 also has the ideal level of useful technology (i.e. No need for wifi etc) for a tech cam and LV is good enough for composition and also focus in the right conditions.

If someone were starting out wanting a MF DSLR system the H5D-50c must be very attractive at these prices with the opportunity to use all the great Hasselblad lens options compared to Pentax.

jagsiva

As an owner of MF (ish) ccd and cmos running side by side, I'm not sure I understand why ccd backs would die out when larger cmos sensors become available, for me personally I prefer the files at base ISO from the ccd even though the differences are small, for personal work I tend to shoot exclusively on a tripod at base ISO. I've been looking at tech cams for an upcoming job and if I was to buy a back now it would be an IQ180, even if the equivalent cmos back was available, especially as it would likely be cheaper! CCD may indeed die out but I feel it would be a shame as there is nothing lacking in ccd files shot well.

Mat
For single shot capture at base ISO on a tripod with a tech cam, there is nothing that comes close to an IQ180/280/380/Credo80/Aptus II 12 (BTW, I think this is as good as it gets for digital capture under "ideal" conditions). It has been that way since the Dalsa 80 MP chip was released. That's why I have stuck with mine, and yes I paid a crap load for it, but over the time I've owned it, it has cost me less than my Nikon/Canon/Sony kit. This is as simple as I can put it.

bab

When a company is burdened with hard times it has to reinvent itself at pull something out of the hat or it will be history. Without the strong Asian market that once kept the cash flowing on yesterday's technology you need solid products with great marketing. That said I'm still very content with my H5D-50....

torger

The IQ180 CCD is surely great, but when full-frame CMOS comes out with 100 megapixels or so I think the "CCD magic" will disappear over night, because it was really never the CCD, it was the resolving power the size etc, the combination of a bunch of factors except being CCD, that's at least what I have come to believe, and the response to the Sony 44x33 CMOS products has not put any doubt in that, rather the opposite. If CCD was so great the 44x33mm CCD solutions that actually still exist if anyone remember them, would sell much better than the CMOS versions but I'm not seeing that happening.

The manufacturers talked about having CCDs and CMOS in parallel (as they do have now) in the past when they did not have access to CMOS the marketing had pushed for CCD being a specific advantage, in the same way as "16 bit" (with the four last bits pure noise, and in the case of Phase One not even stored in the files) was an "advantage". However they're not worse than seeing how customers respond to the new products, and what I'm quite sure will happen is that the full-frame CCDs will become just as popular as the 44x33mm CCDs are today, and that will make the products be phased out real quick.