Site Sponsors

Thread: stand alone storage and viewing device for my P30+ files

Post Thanks / Like

stand alone storage and viewing device for my P30+ files

Greetings to all,

for travel purposes I am looking for a storage and viewing device for my P30+ files. Storing doesn't seem to be a problem for most of the available devices, but picture reviewing seems to a bit of a problem.

Is there anybody out there who could share some experiences. Your thoughts are most welcome.

Many thanks and best regards,
    Udo

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: stand alone storage and viewing device for my P30+ files

When you move to medium format, or even higher resolution conventional DLSR's, I think your best portable viewing and storage device is going to be a laptop computer with a properly profiled high quality display...
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder how those macbook air things would do. I know they are not the fastest laptops around, but they sure look tiny and portable....

Post Thanks / Like

If you're looking for a budget option: Though the screen is probably not up to par, how about a little netbook such as the MSI Wind or Asus eee? Speed is probably close to the MB Air but much cheaper ($1900 vs $350) and you can install and run LightRoom or PS on it. You can get them with 160GB HDDs which is decent.

I personally use two Nexto 2700s which I download the cards to and then connect to my MacBook Pro to view/edit in whichever program (LC, LR, etc).

-Josh

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
    I wonder how those macbook air things would do. I know they are not the fastest laptops around, but they sure look tiny and portable....
    Well, the MacBook Air is definitely thin and light. However, if you want the most bang for the buck, the new 13" MacBook unibody is a better way to go. They have the same graphics, screen and some other things, but the MacBook is heavier, but does off more usefulness. Caveat, the screens on these smaller units, both the Air and the unibody, are not the best when it comes to color. The can be calibrated and will deliver a good view, but the gamut and overall performance is not as good as some others. There is also the issue of the glossy screen, which some folks do not mind, but others really cannot stand.

The MB Air is sexy, no doubt, but the new unibody MB is more bang for the buck for sure and not all that bigger....just a bit heavier.

Other than that, there are few small, light portable options that would be able to handle bigger files and also be able to do some decent processing to get a decent view. Nothing handheld seems to cut it.

LJ