Site Sponsors

Thread: Viewfinders with technical or "wide" cameras

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Viewfinders with technical or "wide" cameras

When I used my Horseman, I found the viewfinder to be rather useless.
    Does anybody find them useful?
    thanks
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Viewfinders with technical or "wide" cameras

Bob - I use a Leica Frankenfinder on my Horseman. Borrow one and give it a try.

Here's a paste from an earlier post of mine: . . . . Here's where you M8 kit comes into play: pop you Frankenfinder on the Horseman. There is a slight bit of play which you can fix by putting a small patch of the fuzzy side of velcro on the bottom of the finder shoe - I've done this with all of my finders after loosing a Zeiss finder while carrying the m8 on a strap under my arm.

You'll need to make some mental adjustment for the difference in aspect ratio but the 24mm lines fairly accurately frame the unshifted 35mm; the 21mm lines fairly accurately frame the 10mm shift stitch, and the 18 mm lines fairly accurately frame the 17 mm stitch. . . . If you set up the camera tethered with liveview and the frankenfinder you can sort this out for yourself in a few minutes

Post Thanks / Like

I've got the Cambo one for my WDS. I go back and forth on weather or not I find it useful. I tend to use it in my hand to walk around to find my angle as much as I actually use it on the camera. Given the price I paid for it, if I had it to do over again, I'd do one of two things:

1) I'd just buy one of those directors viewers Michael Richman talked about (handheld - don't think they make a hot shoe mounted one) or

2) buy some Voightlander ones for a 1/10th of the price from cameraquest

That being said, I almost always shoot tethered. Your milage may vary....

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Bob

I had at first thought I'd need a viewfinder when I was putting the RS1000 order together but decided to use a wait and see approach. I've now been on 2 shoots (South Rim and Redwoods) and have decided that I really don't need it nor do I miss not having it. I've been able to successfully shoot wide far away and very close up landscapes and find I just don't think I need it.

I thought about a director viewfinders and thought what the heck and ordered one just before I went to the redwoods (cost about $300) and forgot I had the thing in my bag for the first couple days!

I'm getting very good at visualizing what the lens will be picking up and only once in a while have had to reshoot to get what I really wanted to capture.

My advice to anyone is to try it without the viewfinder first before spending close to $1k on something you just might not need.

Don

btw - someone is attempting to sell a Cambo viewfinder for around $400 on LL and I have seen them on ebay for around $600.
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Iron Creek;77994z
    btw - someone is attempting to sell a Cambo viewfinder for around $400 on LL and I have seen them on ebay for around $600.[/QUOTE]

That's me. There's an ad here as well:
    http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5674

Kumar