The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Kapture One Shot and Schneider 35 XL/Cambo Wide DS

tashley

Subscriber Member
I got my Cambo Wide DS kit from Phase on Friday - it comes with a Schneider 35 XL and a Kapture OneShot.

The (very very) good news: at first sight the lens and camera sing from the same hymn sheet and provide the sort of edge to edge and corner to corner sharpness I crave. Love it, love it, love it - and look forward to experimenting more with the shifts.

A small but irritating problem has arisen though, which is that the short cable release extension that goes from the tiny OneSHot junction box to the lens shutter will not engage with the thread on the little lens mounted shutter release assembly. I have four other cable releases, all by different manufacturers, and they all fit nicely. My dealer and I have both removed the female thread part and had a good look at it and it seems fine, and not cross-threaded or stripped.

The Kapture 'males' (the OneShot ships with two, one as a spare) thread perfectly happily into the female on the shutter release on my Phamiya body. It's just the Schneider they won't thread into...

I wonder whether this is due to the fact that the Cambo lens assembly has a sort of 'cage' assembly around it, which means that the angle at which the male can approach the female is restricted?

In any event, I can't get it to work - which means that to fire the shutter and wake the back I need two different releases and that means getting the firing order right and having too much stuff curling around everywhere.

Anyone else come across this issue?

Tim

Last edited:

Don Libby

Hi Tim

First congratulations on the Cambo.

As you know I have the RS1000 but the same lens as you. When I first ordered the camera and up till just a week ago I used the shot cables that Capture Integrations makes with success. There were times that I felt I needed a third hand on this recent trip to the Redwoods so I decided to make the switch to the Kapture Group one-shot.

I always had slight trouble with the 35mm attaching the cable release and decided to get an extension which I got firmly attached then left on. I took that off with the Kapture Group and like you have had some difficulty in attaching the cable which I think is in part to the bull bars that I have no intention of removing.

So yes I've had and still to some degree still have difficulty in attaching the cable to my 35mm but never to the point that I couldn't. I've tried the same with the 72mm and am happy to report no troubles which is in part (maybe) due to the larger area.

Please let me know if I can be of any help.

Don

tashley

Subscriber Member
Don, thank you very much for that: extremely useful. It seems the combination of tight machining tolerances and mildly restricted access can create a problem here. I've emailed Kapture to ask for their advice and I'm guessing they'll have come up against this before and might have a solution.

All the best

Tim

P

parsnip_lee

I have the same problem. I just went ahead and picked up a 2" cable extension that I use to extend the cable release on the Kapture Group, it works without a problem and also allows a little more room to get the one shot junction box in a more desirable location.

tashley

Subscriber Member
I have the same problem. I just went ahead and picked up a 2" cable extension that I use to extend the cable release on the Kapture Group, it works without a problem and also allows a little more room to get the one shot junction box in a more desirable location.
Thanks Sean,

Kapture have been helpful - they responded to email enquiries on both Saturday and Sunday (not that I was expecting that at all) and are sending a couple of spares, hopefully from a different batch but they did say

'This problem must be very isolated because so many of these have be sold and used on you exact shutter.'

so it is helpful to him to them to know that there are other instances...

Best

T