The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

XF Tips & Tricks for settings and ???

aztwang

As I'm into the last grueling hours waiting for the FedEx guy to knock on the door with my XF from the amazing Steve Hendrix and the boys over at Capture Integration, I thought I would reach out to those of you who have been blessed with earlier delivery and ask ya'll...... do you have any pointers for say...., button settings, as they can be changed around? What makes sense and what does not??.... I know different strokes...but still, opinions do matter plus I thought maybe a nice place discuss the XF in general.

Cheers!

Don

aztwang

First frame was an "error" and they keep coming intermittently .
Dam I hate when this happens .BUT the boys @ CI are all over it!

kdphotography

Make sure all the bits and pieces are connected correctly. Viewfinder prism latch leaves more to be desired.

ken

aztwang

Make sure all the bits and pieces are connected correctly. Viewfinder prism latch leaves more to be desired.

ken
Well Ken,

Very weird,

After the initial error and subsequent errors I set it down for an hour or so and since then its been a champ so IDK...brad was hoping when I called back that I would have a list of failures and scenarios for troubleshooting....LOL
The other issue I found is that my RRS L plate does not sit flush on the bottom as it interferes with the body after turning upwards...bummer. RRS says they will have a solution ready for the XF by mid-late Jan.

Don

Paul2660

Well Ken,

Very weird,

After the initial error and subsequent errors I set it down for an hour or so and since then its been a champ so IDK...brad was hoping when I called back that I would have a list of failures and scenarios for troubleshooting....LOL
The other issue I found is that my RRS L plate does not sit flush on the bottom as it interferes with the body after turning upwards...bummer. RRS says they will have a solution ready for the XF by mid-late Jan.

Don
Yes, the RRS stuff will not fit the XF, however it's a simple fix. All you need to do is sand down the two alignment posts just a hair. Once done, it fits like a champ. I for sure did not want to purchase another L bracket. It took about 5 minutes with a hobby course and medium sanding stick. The ones with foam between the sandpaper. Make sure you wash off the L bracket to get everything off, i.e. filings.

Surprised more have not found this to be a problem? Maybe RRS changed their brackets as mine dates back to 2009ish or early 2010.

One other note, if you plan on removing the 3/8" inner thread, remember the set screw, I didn't, and the rest well lets just say I had a few panic moments. (strip that tiny set screw and off goes brand new XF to Phase One for a new bottom plate) :banghead::banghead::banghead:

But all is well, but now need a new setscrew.

I knew about it, but it's been a long long time since I pulled the 3/8" out of a Mamiya tripod screw/socket.

Paul C

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Hmmm - I guess my RRS plate must be newer because it fits like a charm. I had it on my DF for several years. Can't remember when I bought it but certainly more than three years ago.

Paul2660

I was surprised by mine not fitting and went back to the DF+ to make sure and it fit fine. Then I went back and measured and the holes on the XF, were just a millimeter smaller. Basically the layer of anodization of the RRS bracket. It really confused me a bit but I figured if I forced it, it would become a "permanent" addition to my XF body. No doubt somewhere something changed.

Tolerances, got to love em.

Paul C

Don Libby

Paul's post brought a tear to my eyes as I read it and remembered what it was like when I first got my XF. It was like Christmas all over again and I was tearing the wrapping off the presents trying to get to the good stuff. I too had problems getting the set screw out so I could remove the insert and try out my RRS bracket. What seems like hours later I had the set screw removed as well as the insert (threw that into the drawer along with all the others) and tested fitted the RRS bracket finding at first it didn't fit as nice as I thought - then removed it and fitted it again finding it did. Tighten the bracket onto the XF which is where it's remained ever since.

Opting to keep my IQ180 I quickly found the XF and back refused to work together until I remembered the firmware update I hadn't done yet. (I also remembering trying to find the "on" button on the body which is a long story best left for another day.) Doing the firmware updating always leaves me a little breathless until its done and everything is okay and I felt the same this time. After what felt like 1/2 a day (it really wasn't) I finally had the bracket in place, the firmware updated on the IQ180, the 90-degree prism in place and ready to go.

I've been as happy as a pig in slop ever since getting the XF and even more recently with the release of the waist level finder.

Don

aztwang

Paul's post brought a tear to my eyes as I read it and remembered what it was like when I first got my XF. It was like Christmas all over again and I was tearing the wrapping off the presents trying to get to the good stuff. I too had problems getting the set screw out so I could remove the insert and try out my RRS bracket. What seems like hours later I had the set screw removed as well as the insert (threw that into the drawer along with all the others) and tested fitted the RRS bracket finding at first it didn't fit as nice as I thought - then removed it and fitted it again finding it did. Tighten the bracket onto the XF which is where it's remained ever since.

Opting to keep my IQ180 I quickly found the XF and back refused to work together until I remembered the firmware update I hadn't done yet. (I also remembering trying to find the "on" button on the body which is a long story best left for another day.) Doing the firmware updating always leaves me a little breathless until its done and everything is okay and I felt the same this time. After what felt like 1/2 a day (it really wasn't) I finally had the bracket in place, the firmware updated on the IQ180, the 90-degree prism in place and ready to go.

I've been as happy as a pig in slop ever since getting the XF and even more recently with the release of the waist level finder.

Don
I appreciate your description as your XF arrived, One could almost smell Christmas cookies and a burning fire place on Christmas morning knowing Santa Clause DID show up and under the tree sat your present...the one you have been wanting all year long, you opened it up and started playing with it.....and then it happened..It stops working...It broke and you have to pack it up and send it back to Capture Integration.

Oh man, I stare at my DF+ as it looks back at me knowing I don't want to use it and that it's my second choice, my only choice. Talk about a deep dark depression...I so miss her........

Don Libby

Don, Oh crap! Just read the sad news that the XF had to return to the mothership - any news on what happened to her? Thinking positive thoughts that it won't be long.

A bit of good news from 100-miles west of you as I was notified I'll be getting the 35LS Monday just in time for the So Rim.

Keep of posted on the XF please

Don

Does anyone know if it's possible to fire the camera without a lens attached?

I turned "Manual Lens" to "On", but that doesn't seem to have helped.

DougDolde

My DF RRS L bracket seems to fit fine without any modification.

One thing that's different is the Mirror Up switch on the LCD panel. If you flip it up then you can't see thru the viewfinder. So you have to have everything properly framed and focused prior to flipping it up. Then apparently the seismograph will fire the shutter when all the vibrations have died down. Still experimenting here. Anyone else figure this out?

Pretty different from the DF where you can set "mirror up" and "2 sec delay" as a custom setting before firing the shutter.

Paul2660

My DF RRS L bracket seems to fit fine without any modification.

One thing that's different is the Mirror Up switch on the LCD panel. If you flip it up then you can't see thru the viewfinder. So you have to have everything properly framed and focused prior to flipping it up. Then apparently the seismograph will fire the shutter when all the vibrations have died down. Still experimenting here. Anyone else figure this out?

Pretty different from the DF where you can set "mirror up" and "2 sec delay" as a custom setting before firing the shutter.
Doug

What I am doing is fire the camera in vibration mode.
Turn vibration detect off. And delay 2sec.

Hit the shutter and you get mirror up and the shutter fires after 2sec. Using camera controls from the IQ260 is great also. You can set off the same sequence without depressing the XF shutter. Just the LCD.

LOVE this. Removes the need for a wired remote.

Paul C

rollei8is

Received my XF this morning. First verified that it had the NEW screen- GOOD. Battery very low, on charge now.

Can some body tell me what should be firmware on body and IQ260 back?

Thanks,

R----

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
If you get the waist level finder watch out for scratching the VF glass when changing between prism & wlf. One of my coshooters managed to scratch his pretty easily when swapping between them.

i found the ideal setup for me was rear button focus, shutter release priority only and also programmed the front button to AE single so that I could set exposure to metered exposure with a long push in M mode. I also set the bottom button to stop down review but I'd change that to shutter when using the WLF.

focus confirm in WLF LCD display mode works well too.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Anybody changed the XF focussing screen yet? It appears that you do it from inside the mirror box, just like the DF, despite being able to remove the viewfinder. Of course, unlike the DF, you need to turn the camera on to get the mirror down.

I will get my new screen on Monday and perhaps it includes instructions. I'm reluctant to screw around with the screen until I'm sure!:thumbup: