The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

XF Tips & Tricks for settings and ???

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Any one know what cable shutter release can be used with this camera? If it is still not available, how do you get away with the very slow shutter speed?

Thanks

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Any one know what cable shutter release can be used with this camera? If it is still not available, how do you get away with the very slow shutter speed?Thanks
I used shutter delay or vibration release on a tripod. Not ideal for accurate timing but certainly better than using the shutter button. Also you can fire the shutter via IQ lcd touch screen if preferred. Cable release is a necessity though really.

Last edited:

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks very much Graham!
I've had no idea why the camera was released without available cable shutter release. The previous cable shutter release for DF+ is very fine, any one know why P1 changed the port for cable shutter release?
Hurry up P1! Cable shutter release is as important for landscape photographers as tripods, at least for me.
I am surprised to see no complaints about this issue. May be I am a complainer :) RRS L- plate doesn't fit well either.

Don Libby

My first thought on the cable release was WTF??? I used and liked the older DF release verymuch and thought I’d have to wait years before shooting the way I’m used to;not touching the camera. However muchlike Graham has pointed out I began using a combination of shutter delay,vibration delay and mirror up and have found I like this workflow very much. I’m on the fence as to how necessary a newimproved (?) release actually is and will wait. My thoughts are that since I like/enjoy my current workflow I might notrush to by the cable when/if released as I don’t see this as a work around.

On the other hand waiting for as long as we have had to forthe waist level to finally be released as well as the proper focus mask is adifferent topic. :thumbdown:

Don

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks very much Don! Good to hear you don't need the cable release. I may try to change the habit.
Don't you have any problem with vibration when you don't use a cable release with very long exposure (like when using Lee Big Stopper)?

GrahamWelland

My biggest concern using the XF with the big 35LS, 40-80LS and 75-150LS was being scared to death that the strap would fray and the entire load go crashing to the ground.

Don't you have any problem with vibration when you don't use a cable release with very long exposure (like when using Lee Big Stopper)?
as don mentioned, the MUP and time delay/vibration delay works just fine so that the shot starts when there is no residual vibration from releasing the shutter.

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
This is a fantastic news from friends I can trust. One less thing to worry about.
What is the setting for time delay (how long) and vibration delay? I haven't had time to play around with it.

kdphotography

For landscapes and similar static subject matter, you can "work around" without a cable release using the vibration delay. However, it doesn't negate the necessity of having a working electromagnetic cable release for other subject matter, such as in portraiture. If you get a portrait subject that is a "blinker" using a cable release and triggering it from behind your back will increase the number of keepers dramatically. I've read that an adapter is being made for the old cable to use on the XF. I'd actually prefer a new cable over an adapter, and simply be free of one more kink in the chain to go wrong.

Get that new XF cable release out please!

:) ken

GrahamWelland

This is a fantastic news from friends I can trust. One less thing to worry about.
What is the setting for time delay (how long) and vibration delay? I haven't had time to play around with it.
You can set the delay. There are multiple duration options (don't have camera to check but several durations to multi-seconds).

Don Libby

What Ken said! I sometimes fall into the trap of thinking what I primarily shoot which is landscape. In reading Kens reply which makes sense it also got me thinking of when I shoot wildlife and the likelihood that a remote will come into being necessary. I haven't shoot in Jackson Hole sine getting the XF but remember doing a combination of shooting with the DF both hands on and remote; in this case a shutter delay will just plain suck. The landscape will be sharp while the wildlife walks away.....

I've kept my delay set at 3-seconds which I believed is the factory setting.

Don

Don Libby

My biggest concern using the XF with the big 35LS, 40-80LS and 75-150LS was being scared to death that the strap would fray and the entire load go crashing to the ground
Graham, are you speaking of the Peak Design system? If so (and I have all the lenses you mention plus a couple others) I've learned to totally trust it. That said I'm also constantly checking the mounting at the camera making certain nothing has frayed. I also have a couple spares with me and plan to replace them at least once a year if not sooner. I'll admit the weak point is the cord however the strap system is one of the best I've come across and plan on using it warts and all. I figure I'll spend about $8.00 a year replacing the buttons.

Don

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I use the Vibration Delay (set for 5 seconds) and get excellent results.
BUT - when shooting landscapes where wind may be a factor - or wildlife as Don says - I need to choose the exact moment of stillness for the exposure. So yes, bring on the release please!

GrahamWelland

Btw I believe that you can also use wireless to IQ backs to remotely trigger via the capture pilot app. Might only be iq3 backs though (alas I had to give mine back before I could try it :( )

I agree though that a real remote is mandatory for real world universal use. Having an adapter between old remotes and the XF isn't such a bad compromise if it saves having to buy yet more proprietary stuff. Just so long as it is reliable.

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks everyone. I hope P1 will solve this issue soon.
Although there are some minor issues, over all, the XF is well worth it.

aztwang

Don, Oh crap! Just read the sad news that the XF had to return to the mothership - any news on what happened to her? Thinking positive thoughts that it won't be long.

A bit of good news from 100-miles west of you as I was notified I'll be getting the 35LS Monday just in time for the So Rim.

Keep of posted on the XF please

Don
So Don, What made you pull the trigger on the 35SL Blue line? I mean we're talking a mere 5mm and f.5 difference from your 40-80LS. I'm very curious!:confused:

Don Libby

Re: XF Tips & Tricks for settings and ???

So Don, What made you pull the trigger on the 35SL Blue line? I mean we're talking a mere 5mm and f.5 difference from your 40-80LS. I'm very curious!:confused:

Well for me it was a little more than the 5mm and f/.5 difference. I've a couple projects the next 12-months where the 40mm isn't enough and the 28 is just too much. Kinda like Goldilocks where I think (hope) the 35 will be just right. Being slightly wider means I might be able to do in one or two frames whereas the 40 might take three which on the surface might not seem like much but it could in the end. Plus with the slightly faster lens of the 35LS that means I can use a lower ISO. The other aspect is that as good as the 40-80 is; and it is one hell of a great lens, it is nevertheless a zoom. AT the wide end and 35mm by all accounts should be better and even if it's only "slightly" I'll take it.

It's a gamble on my part that the 35 will work as well as I anticipate however what's life without taking a chance? The other aspect is the weight difference between the 35 and 40-80.

Don

- - - Updated - - -

I also couldn't let Graham have all the lenses :grin:

GrahamWelland

Re: XF Tips & Tricks for settings and ???

I also couldn't let Graham have all the lenses :grin:
I'm still using the older generation Phase One D lenses with the exception of a couple of LS primes. I did get to borrow the 40-80LS as my go to lens for a week and the 35LS for a couple of days. Dealer and other owner consensus is that the new 35LS is in Rodie 32HR quality territory. I'll have to review my images to see. It is not exactly a svelte tiny walkabout lens but then neither are any of the LS zooms either.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Don, the 35 Blue Ring is the sharpest wide angle I have ever used. It's become the lens I leave on the camera - despite the fact that I tend to see "long" rather than "wide". I'm seeking more wide-angle approaches to subjects as a result.

You surely won't regret getting it although your bank account might....

Bill

aztwang

Don, the 35 Blue Ring is the sharpest wide angle I have ever used. It's become the lens I leave on the camera - despite the fact that I tend to see "long" rather than "wide". I'm seeking more wide-angle approaches to subjects as a result.

You surely won't regret getting it although your bank account might....

Bill
So Bill, Does this mean you have completely re-thunk your composition set up in general being that the 35 includes foreground that you would have , in the past not worried about. If so what or how have you changed your composition practices?

Don