The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

calling H5D-50c users

bab

Live view works well on the Hassleblads that have the CMOS sensor, the H5D-50c (with or without Wi Fi) and the CFV-50c for the V series. The display on the back could have been better but it is usable with live view.
That's what I'm saying when I'm in the studio with a 30" monitor I can see how bad my Manual focus efforts are, sometimes autofocus is not available....when in the feild especially using the HTS a 100% clear sharp live view would be a big help. Also the HTS for stiching is great but tilting the HTS because of the 1.5X is limiting for many scenes. Live view directly to an iPad without the need for wifi would be the answer to the limited screen resolution.

masud

That's what I'm saying when I'm in the studio with a 30" monitor I can see how bad my Manual focus efforts are, sometimes autofocus is not available....when in the feild especially using the HTS a 100% clear sharp live view would be a big help. Also the HTS for stiching is great but tilting the HTS because of the 1.5X is limiting for many scenes. Live view directly to an iPad without the need for wifi would be the answer to the limited screen resolution.
I will try the iPad live view idea in the field later this week (if I can make it work) and report back.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I'm a H5D-50c user not a talker that have never touched it... I don't drive any Hasselblad or Phase or Nikon or Canon shop / business, But I admit I'm little biased about this camera that never left me unsatisfied ..

Conclusion:
If today I have to buy MF camera considering Lens family, Image Quality, Functions, and price... I buy the H5D-50c WiFi hand's down.
So you've personally used a Phase One XF with an IQ3 back?

jlm

Workshop Member
seems like you would have to tether the CFV-50c back to a computer running Phocus and with a firewire connection; not sure how you could do that with an ipad...

stephengilbert

".....you don´t need to touch a phaseone camera to know that hasselblad is the more complete and reliable system."

Actually, maybe you do. You don't need to touch a Phase One camera to know that Hasselblad is a complete and reliable system, but you might to show that it's more complete and reliable than the Phase XF system. I don't own either, and wouldn't presume to compare them.

On the other hand, if I asked a question about people's experience with a Hasselblad camera, I might be a bit annoyed getting a bunch of suggestions about Sony and Pentax and Phase. But that response often seems to be the rule rather than the exception.

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
"You don't need to touch a Phase One camera to know that Hasselblad is a complete and reliable system, but you might to show that it's more complete and reliable than the Phase XF system
Exactly

I used to shoot the H2F body and later the H4X with my Phase back and I did like the Hasselblad body. I got rid of my Hassy gear when I upgraded from the IQ180 to the IQ260 and got a Phase DF+ as part of the kit, which was fine as I rarely was using the MFDSLR body and primarily shot my MFDB on a tech cam. When I did use the DF+ it was not quite the same as the Hasselblad body as it didnt seem to be built as well, and I was not as used to the controls, but my images were still very good.

I have not used the XF but from everything I have heard and read, it is a monumental step forward for Phase as far as the camera itself.

modator

So you've personally used a Phase One XF with an IQ3 back?
To be honest, no, but I've used the 645 DF+ with Schneider Kreuznach 80mm LS F2,8 Lens and IQ250 back with Capture One 8 etc.
well' the 645 DF+ body is surely different than the new XF... that improve some ergonomic aspects and finally have a detachable viewfinder like H body had since years 2000, the seismic sensor is a good think and the more accurate and fast AF is surely improved i don't know if IQ350 have big differences than the 250.

So So I've tested it, but not used for months... At the end I've concluded that the 50c and IQ250 respectively produces the same results, IQ had warmer tone than 50c that's all.

Price wise the Phase solution to me was too expensive that's why I've decided to go straight with Hasselblad, I was an H4D-40 owner and Phase offered me a very good exchange price to go on their system... but then I have to re buy lenses, and some one don't even exist... (HCD 24mm, HCD 35-90, HC 100mm F2.2, HC 300, HTS 1.5 etc..)

One solution for me is to change the H5D-50c with a H5X with IQ250 / IQ350 but I didn't find the advantage (especially price / result wise) .

That's my situation Dough, any idea ?

Best regards, Domenico.

HTML:

.....you don´t need to touch a phaseone camera to know that hasselblad is the more complete and reliable system.
Can you elaborate on this? I have no brand loyalty to either company, and I'm sure I'd be happy with either, however, if I really want/need an 80MP back or prefer a C1P/tethered workflow, how does that make the Hasselblad more complete and reliable as a system for me?

The H5D-50c rebate certainly makes the price enticing for sure, and I hope it encourages new users to MFD. I do find it funny that for all that have replied to this thread, myself included, only two posters are actually users of the camera per the OP's original request.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
To be honest, no, but I've used the 645 DF+ with Schneider Kreuznach 80mm LS F2,8 Lens and IQ250 back with Capture One 8 etc.
well' the 645 DF+ body is surely different than the new XF... that improve some ergonomic aspects and finally have a detachable viewfinder like H body had since years 2000, the seismic sensor is a good think and the more accurate and fast AF is surely improved i don't know if IQ350 have big differences than the 250.

So So I've tested it, but not used for months... At the end I've concluded that the 50c and IQ250 respectively produces the same results, IQ had warmer tone than 50c that's all.

Price wise the Phase solution to me was too expensive that's why I've decided to go straight with Hasselblad, I was an H4D-40 owner and Phase offered me a very good exchange price to go on their system... but then I have to re buy lenses, and some one don't even exist... (HCD 24mm, HCD 35-90, HC 100mm F2.2, HC 300, HTS 1.5 etc..)

One solution for me is to change the H5D-50c with a H5X with IQ250 / IQ350 but I didn't find the advantage (especially price / result wise) .

That's my situation Dough, any idea ?

Best regards, Domenico.
I'm not trying to argue whether it was the best choice for you or not; that's way too personal and I don't know much (if anything) about your wants/needs etc. Especially if you already had several Hassy lenses* I can understand your choice, and the H5D is a very nice system. I was just clarifying that your comments ("If today I have to buy MF camera considering Lens family, Image Quality, Functions, and price... I buy the H5D-50c WiFi hand's down.") was made based on comparisons you've made to the DF+ and without hands on with the new XF. The XF is an absolute game changer when comparing Phase kits with Hassy kits. Maybe had the XF been available and had you tried it you would still prefer the H, or maybe the XF would have gotten your vote; don't know until you try it.

tjv

I'm not trying to argue whether it was the best choice for you or not; that's way too personal and I don't know much (if anything) about your wants/needs etc. Especially if you already had several Hassy lenses* I can understand your choice, and the H5D is a very nice system. I was just clarifying that your comments ("If today I have to buy MF camera considering Lens family, Image Quality, Functions, and price... I buy the H5D-50c WiFi hand's down.") was made based on comparisons you've made to the DF+ and without hands on with the new XF. The XF is an absolute game changer when comparing Phase kits with Hassy kits. Maybe had the XF been available and had you tried it you would still prefer the H, or maybe the XF would have gotten your vote; don't know until you try it.
A "game changer" for Phase One (as yet not even Leaf!) but at what price of entry? Hasselblad's pricing is in the open and is very attractive. I ask again, what's the price on a new IQ150 or 250 and XF with 80mm lens?

MrSmith

A "game changer" for Phase One (as yet not even Leaf!) but at what price of entry? Hasselblad's pricing is in the open and is very attractive. I ask again, what's the price on a new IQ150 or 250 and XF with 80mm lens?
i think you have to ‘do the dance’ to get an answer to that, but it’s nearly christmas so if you enter into negotiations now you might end up with a nice mousemat, phase branded lens cloth or perhaps a mediocre bottle of californian wine?

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
Image quality wise, they should be as close to identical as you can get.

The only differences at that point become:

1) What is your current workflow. If you are used to processing through C1Pro then the IQ back is the only option since it doesn't support Hasselblad files. If you use Phocus then you are fine with the H5D-50c

2) If you arent looking for support from your rep for your system then Hasselblad may be a better fit due to the savings, but with the Phase, you do have excellent dealer support (at least I did with both CI and DT)

3) What have you been shooting, and what your use will be going forward. If you have been a Phase shooter, then with the release of the new XF and lenses, there is no real advantage to switching. If you have been a Hasselblad user and have their lenses, and dont use a tech cam, then the Hasselblad system is a very good fit for you.

Either way, both systems are excellent and each have their merits and if your images are not up to snuff, you cant blame the equipment as you basically have the best that money can buy. Its not one system is better than the other, it is more of a personal preference I guess, and I used both systems and enjoyed each one.

tjv

i think you have to ‘do the dance’ to get an answer to that, but it’s nearly christmas so if you enter into negotiations now you might end up with a nice mousemat, phase branded lens cloth or perhaps a mediocre bottle of californian wine?
For sure, but I very much doubt the price you do a dance to get would be near the level of the Hasselblad H5D-50c (which the OP was enquiring about!)

And if you live anywhere other than the US then the Phase dealer network (where much of the price premium seems to go) isn't worth a damn. What some dealers on here fail to realise is that their level of service is in no way comparible to what one would receive in other places of the world, where the dealer network actually makes everything harder in terms of after sales support and (less than competitive) pricing. No number of mouse mats or cheap wine can make up for that!

Hasselblad has a great system in the H. There's elements of it that could be refined (such as the backs UI and tethering interface) but in my opinion (particulary for the way I personally shoot) it is in no way lagging behind the Phase system overall. And at the current pricing, especially if one needs a system where the back can be removed and used on a tech camera (where the Pentax can't) it's presents very good value for money.

To the OP, I'd say if you can afford it book a test drive, it's a great product and more than competitive. I'm sure you'll like it.