The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

calling H5D-50c users

I recently was in the same decision process. I was quite intrigued by the Hasselblad offer also, but at the end I decided to go for the Leica S, type 007. The price difference between the two bodies is not that big that this would be the main criteria.

Testing a little bit both systems, when I was in Europe lately, I preferred a lot the handling and ergonomics of the Leica. Also the difference between the two sensors seems to be not enough to let go these sweet Leica S lenses. It is not only about MP, but also about acuity, micro contrast, colors, out of focus rendering, etc. The lenses are more expensive, yes, but again, not that much (especially when you get a discount), and I find the lens family more interesting as a whole, and in case I need a Hasselblad lens (or Contax, or Pentax, or Mamiya), I could adapt it.

P1, the new body seems nice, but the whole system is too bulky and expensive for me, and I am not in need for a modular system for Tech, but I need a system which can stand some bad weather conditions.

As regards service, I agree that the advantage of P1 is limited to some hotspots on the planet (although I admit their network is better overall). Same holds for Leica. If you live outside these hotpsots, as me (South America), you better have a system that does work flawlessly, but that depends sometimes more on luck than anything other ….

Last edited:

andrew wuttke

Hi folks

I'm really enticed by the new rebate on the H5D-50c....... and would like to hear from any users ....

Thanks

S :cool:
Hi Swissblad

I use the H5d-50c for work about 30% of the time for architecture, product and portrait/fashion canon for the other 70% its a great camera Wifi is also very nice for client viewing on ipad , it is a bit slow on the auto focus, and it does need to be restarted occasionally but the results will not disappoint

if you want any specific information let me know www.wuttke.com.au [email protected]

bab

Hey Doug any reason why at least one of digital transitions locations can't be a authorized dealer for Hasselblad?

fotografz

I understand that. I also hate Sony's FF mirrorless for the way to choose AF mode and switch AF points as they lack a decent touch screen. I also hate Sony's STL as I never liked that structure (even worse than SLR). However, apart from our subjective feelings that we don't care about Sony's 35mm cameras, it is a fact of life that a smaller format with more pixels, when coupled with a decent enough lens, can beat a larger format with less pixels. An example would be the 645D vs the A7R-II as shown below:

Link for 645D sample image from Image-Resource: Link1
Link for A7R-II sample image from Image-Resource: Link2

View attachment 114979

I know with a Sony 35mm camera you'll not get the leaf shutter for 1/800 sync, or the feeling of wielding a medium format. Sometimes only personal preference matters.
A few observations:

These two shots are lit differently … at least the cropped part shown here. Lighting, or the angle it is striking the subject, can and does make a big difference on the "impression" of acuity. IMO, that the set wasn't exactly the same renders it more difficult for comparisons.

I downloaded the large files and viewed them at 50% layered over one another. I then tweaked the files based on the color checker chart to be equal. I also applied lens corrections for camera make and lens used.

The downloaded image info shows the Pentax at 300dpi; Image size @ 7264 X5440 … and the Sony at 350dpi; Image size @ 7952X5304

Yet, when layered over one another at the same %, the Pentax subject matter is larger in size compared to the Sony file when at viewed at the same %. Different camera placement?

I do not know the abilities of the two different lenses in comparison. The native Sony Zeiss lens is pretty darned good. Don't know anything about the Pentax 75mm. The Zeiss 55/1.8 verses the Pentax 75/2.8 both set to f/8 … perhaps to be equal, the 75mm should have been set to f/11 for a similar DOF?

Once color-checker equalized, the Pentax file has much better color rendition and separation. The whites are also cleaner, and the shadows show a bit more detail.

Other areas of the Pentax image show visibly superior acuity compared to the same area of the Sony image … which could also be attributable to the different lighting and/or slightly different lens performance center to edge, or even slight focus differences/DOF.

BTW, I use a Sony A7R and my studio partner uses a Sony A7R-II (IMO, a much improved model over the A7R for general shooting!) … in no way do either of us think they challenge the Leica S camera in the studio, or with lighting, or in decent ambient light which we have an abundance of in Florida. However, the A7R-II is a reasonably decent back-up to the Leica S especially since I can't afford a second S body.

As to the OPs original question …

If I were still in the MF fray, I'd be all over this H5D/50c at that price. That camera with the spectacular HC-50-II, HC-100/2.2, and the unsung 210/4 would be the premo set up were I NOT already committed to the Leica S system.

IMHO, MF is a GREAT investment in yourself based on actually using it. If left to rare shoots, or if treated to preciously, then it is a terrible investment. My primary shooting camera is the S (70%), followed by the Leica MM (20%), most unused camera I own is the A7R (10%) … and other regular stuff is pumped out on an iPhone.

Although, if secured at that price, I cannot imagine it selling for $4,900 in two years … if it does, I'll buy one!!! just to get back to True Focus shooting:thumbs: Bet that higher ISO combined with the 100/2.2 is an available light MF wonder!

- Marc

masud

I will try the iPad live view idea in the field later this week (if I can make it work) and report back.
I used live view on the iPad with the H5D-50c Wi-Fi and it is absolutely amazing. I used both and iPad Mini Retina display as well as the new iPad Pro with the 12 inch Retina display. With live view turned on, you can zoom into any part of the image and then focus on it two different ways: (1) use the + and - buttons on the iPad; or (2) turn the focusing ring on the lens and the display will update on the iPad. My preferred method was using the focusing ring. This solves any display inadequacy issue for me on the Hasselblad. You can also use the new iPhones to do the same.

This will be also amazing for using the camera with the tilt-shift adapter HTS 1.5 or the back with a technical camera; along with the "Snapi tilt calculator" app on the iPhone.

Very excited about the Hasselblad purchase for the price that they are offering at the moment.

Edit: You need to download the Phocus Mobile app on the iPad to use live view.

bab

I used live view on the iPad with the H5D-50c Wi-Fi and it is absolutely amazing. I used both and iPad Mini Retina display as well as the new iPad Pro with the 12 inch Retina display. With live view turned on, you can zoom into any part of the image and then focus on it two different ways: (1) use the + and - buttons on the iPad; or (2) turn the focusing ring on the lens and the display will update on the iPad. My preferred method was using the focusing ring. This solves any display inadequacy issue for me on the Hasselblad. You can also use the new iPhones to do the same.

This will be also amazing for using the camera with the tilt-shift adapter HTS 1.5 or the back with a technical camera; along with the "Snapi tilt calculator" app on the iPhone.

Very excited about the Hasselblad purchase for the price that they are offering at the moment.

Edit: You need to download the Phocus Mobile app on the iPad to use live view.
In the house with wifi connection or in the field ?

SrMphoto

There are two Wi-Fi modes: client (camera and iPad connected to existing network, e.g., in house) and direct (camera creates new Wi-Fi network, iPad connects to it, e.g., outside).

For Wi-Fi specific documentation search with Google for "H5D-50c with Wi-Fi User Manual".

masud

I have tried both: the "Client" mode where the camera connects to my home network as does the iPad; and the "Direct (AP)" mode where the camera creates the WiFi hot spot and the iPad then needs to connect to that thru iOS settings. Once the iPad and the camera are connected (in either mode), firing up Phocus mobile and using live view works exactly the same way. Both modes work equally well but the "Client" mode has a slight latency (about a second or less in my home network setup - but I have about 30 devices on this network) which does not pose any significant usability issue for me. Whereas the "Direct (AP)" mode has almost no latency so it's really good as a live view device.

KeithL

S, if I was looking to get back into MF digital - and I had the money - I'd be all over this deal!

masud

seems like you would have to tether the CFV-50c back to a computer running Phocus and with a firewire connection; not sure how you could do that with an ipad...
Live view on an iPad works with the 'H5D-50c WiFi' wirelessly (See my earlier posts), not the 'CFV-50c' (which does not have Wifi, and hence needs tethering to a computer.

DanielDuarte

Question: what was the price again during the last promotions? I sat on my phone on NYE at about 11:15 PM (sale ended at midnight) and fairly drunk went back and forth back and forth regarding the sale. I have a dealer here who ordered a second camera at the sale price of 14.5k body only... Does that sound familiar?

KeithL

Had an email today saying the offer on the H5D-50c in the UK ends on the 31st January and prices will increase on the 1st February.