The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

32HR Lens Corrections in Capture One 9.0.1

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Pannini projection - thanks Gerald!

i wondered about that in autopano and I'll have to run some of my panos using this projection vs the std projections I normally use.

cdavis32

It's cool that lens corrections with movements are in C1, but what's the difference between doing the correction in C1 vs the Alpa PS plug in? Is it just to simplify the workflow? If you're shooting tethered, it would be easy to add the movements into each image while shooting!

Can we expect Canon lenses to be profiled for movement in the future?

torger

Symmetric lens designs are virtually distortion free, like the SK28 and SK35. Historically this was a key feature of large format photography. Small aperture simple symmetric designs.

Modern sensors as we know don't play well with this so lenses have changed design to retrofocus which leads to distortion but also advantages such as larger aperture and lower vignetting as we have learnt to love in the DSLR lens designs.

With digital corrections it's not that important to have a distortion free lenses. But as long as we need to enter these things manually it feels a bit awkward. I nostalgically long back to when photography was more optics and less digital post processing... But times change.

vjbelle

I can see that I have created friction on this site, the thought that the 32mm can have bad press. However I use this site as a 'real world" test ground as the fact presented tend to be very clear and straight forward. I would hope that before someone made a purchase of this lens, they were aware of just how bad this issue can be on "certain" lenses. I say certain as I realize most people don't complain about it. I can clearly state that I have read out mustache distortion for year, never really understanding the effect until I was able to use the 32mm. It was evident immediately for me. As I stated earlier, I did go back to review many of my shifted series with the 40mm Rodie and now realize the distortion is there also, just not as severe as with what I found with the 32mm.

Paul C
I think your examples should be mandatory viewing for anyone contemplating a purchase of this lens. Distortion of this kind is one of the real killers of wide angle and the reason I would prefer to shift a slightly longer lens. I won't be parting with any of my cash for that lens..... but the 40 is somewhat tempting.

Victor