Site Sponsors

Thread: Phase XF/IQ150, 110LS or 150LS

Post Thanks / Like

Phase XF/IQ150, 110LS or 150LS

I'm going to be picking up a Phase XF and IQ150 next week but not 100% sure which lens to go with. I can only get one lens and thinking the 110LS and picking up a 240LS down the line. It's similar to a 85mm on a 35mm and the 240 is like a 200mm. I've been shooting with the d800 and 70-200 2.8 for years and usually all over the place with it. I'm a studio headshot/fashion kinda guy. My studio is about 25 feet long, so i feel i can get away with full body easy on the 110 but not the 150. I also like to get very close for tight headshots. I have a feeling phase will release a new blue line 110LS in the next 3-6 months and I know its optically going to be the same thing but I like metal over plastic.

Im about 99% thinking the 110LS but curious what others think.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Phase XF/IQ150, 110LS or 150LS

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGenik View Post
    I'm going to be picking up a Phase XF and IQ150 next week but not 100% sure which lens to go with. I can only get one lens and thinking the 110LS and picking up a 240LS down the line. It's similar to a 85mm on a 35mm and the 240 is like a 200mm. I've been shooting with the d800 and 70-200 2.8 for years and usually all over the place with it. I'm a studio headshot/fashion kinda guy. My studio is about 25 feet long, so i feel i can get away with full body easy on the 110 but not the 150. I also like to get very close for tight headshots. I have a feeling phase will release a new blue line 110LS in the next 3-6 months and I know its optically going to be the same thing but I like metal over plastic.

Im about 99% thinking the 110LS but curious what others think.
    I have both the 80LS, 110LS and 150LS lens's. Personally I love the 110, Its sharp ..very sharp and fast. I should probably give the 150 more use. Ken Doo loves, did I say LOVES the 150..So much, I feel guilty for not using my 150 more. either way brotha...you wont be dissapointed.

Don

Post Thanks / Like

I think you might want to....oh wait---Don took the words right outta my mouth!

150mm LS is my favorite portrait lens by far. 110mm LS if I need a tad wider. 40-80 LS picks up the wider stuff. I wish I could use the 240mm LS more...

ken

Post Thanks / Like

decided to go for the 120 macro instead. Its a bit heavier but I wanted that lens since they announced it.

Post Thanks / Like

It's not like you skimped!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    It's not like you skimped!
    i would of went with the 75-150, but its too big and heavy, plus it focus's too slow for my tastes.

With the 120, i can go from martin schoeller style headshots to fullbody with one lens. and with the limiter enabled, it focus pretty quick.

i just in the future phase uses carbon fiber in the body, back and lens instead of metal. it could easy shred a pound off

Post Thanks / Like

i would of went with the 75-150, but its too big and heavy, plus it focus's too slow for my tastes.

With the 120, i can go from martin schoeller style headshots to fullbody with one lens. and with the limiter enabled, it focus pretty quick.

i just in the future phase uses carbon fiber in the body, back and lens instead of metal. it could easy shred a pound off
    I'll be curious to see your results. I had considered the new 120 then saw the 120 comparison that CI did and then older A/F model is very very close if not the same in performance, appears to me anyways..LOL Good luck with the new 120..its a monster!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aztwang View Post
    I'll be curious to see your results. I had considered the new 120 then saw the 120 comparison that CI did and then older A/F model is very very close if not the same in performance, appears to me anyways..LOL Good luck with the new 120..its a monster!
    I believe all the blue line and non-blue line lens except for the 35 are the exactly the same optically. I just have to buy a new lens and rather buy a just released 120 and get a used 80 or something down the line then the 110 that will be blue lined in a few months. Plus if i really want the 110 i can find them used alot easier then a 120 macro (i haven't seen too many used).

Since 120 is strictly studio only, i think it will handle 99% of what i need and if i'm stuck and need wider, i can pull out my d800 with 70-200 till i pick up a 80 or maybe the older 75-150 f4.5 (since its half the wight of the LS version)

the one thing that sucks is how heavy the backs are. im most likely going to be hand-holding for 3-4 hours each session. i might need a monopod in the future or ill just get used to it

Post Thanks / Like

I believe all the blue line and non-blue line lens except for the 35 are the exactly the same optically. I just have to buy a new lens and rather buy a just released 120 and get a used 80 or something down the line then the 110 that will be blue lined in a few months. Plus if i really want the 110 i can find them used alot easier then a 120 macro (i haven't seen too many used).

Since 120 is strictly studio only, i think it will handle 99% of what i need and if i'm stuck and need wider, i can pull out my d800 with 70-200 till i pick up a 80 or maybe the older 75-150 f4.5 (since its half the wight of the LS version)

the one thing that sucks is how heavy the backs are. im most likely going to be hand-holding for 3-4 hours each session. i might need a monopod in the future or ill just get used to it
    I hear ya on the weight. Ive gotten use to it..Like shooting a D4s with the "Chub", 200 f2 for a whole game. I know when football season starts and I handhold my D3s with thee 400 2.8 it takes a few weeks for my arms to get used to sling'n that weight around.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aztwang View Post
    I hear ya on the weight. Ive gotten use to it..Like shooting a D4s with the "Chub", 200 f2 for a whole game. I know when football season starts and I handhold my D3s with thee 400 2.8 it takes a few weeks for my arms to get used to sling'n that weight around.
    i guess i don't need my gym membership anymore