The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Best Hasselblad H Series lenses?

michaelclark

I just purchased the Hasselblad H5D 50c WiFi along with two lenses, the 24mm f/4.8 and the 100mm f/2.2. I am looking to add some lenses to the kit. I shoot a variety of subjects including landscapes, portraits and action sports so I am also looking at the 150mm and the 300mm as well. Is the 50-110mm zoom all that it is hyped to be? I know a lot of portrait photographers that use that lens all the time.

I am looking for any input or feedback from Hasselblad users. Thanks in advance!

triangle

Well, you've got the 24mm which is a superb lens and a great choice - congrats!! Note that the 24mm will definitely benefit from shooting LCCs ... you can get quite a bit of lens colour cast in the right conditions. The 35-90mm is also an excellent lens, very, very good for a zoom. No doubt others will have views but every Hassy lens I have used has been at the very least excellent so you are spoiled for choice. Enjoy your gear!!! :D

Andrew :)

rmueller

Hi Michael,
first of all, congrats to the kit.I would add the following two lenses and start with the first one:
1. HC 3.5/50mm II
2. HC Macro 4/120mm II
The 50mm has become my bread and butter lens for almost anything, it seems quite
improved compared to the first version (can't tell the difference though since i didn't own the first version
but maybe other folks here can tell. All i can tell is that the 50mm II is excellent)
As for portrait work i prefer the 120mm Macro also in the new II version, it is long enough given the
sensor size. Another combo that works quite well for portrait is the 100mm plus the 13mm extension tube
or add the 1.7x converter to it.
Personally i decided against the 50-110, it is most likely a good lens but man it is bulky. It feels more like a
bucket than a lens but well this is personal choice ;-) Have fun with the system, whatever you get you won't
be disappointed.

Anyway, just my 2 cents,
Ralf

jerome_m

All H lenses are excellent, but I'll second the choice of the HC 3.5/50mm II and HC Macro 4/120mm II as above the others. The HCD 28mm is also superb. The HC 150mm is excellent, focusses very fast and very easy to find used for cheap. The HC 300mm is excellent but quite large and heavy.

The zooms are reportedly very good, but they are also quite large and heavy. That is why I don't use them.

There are some test pictures of H series lenses on http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.com

michaelclark

Good stuff everyone - thank you. And thanks for the link Jerome!

All H lenses are excellent, but I'll second the choice of the HC 3.5/50mm II and HC Macro 4/120mm II as above the others. The HCD 28mm is also superb. The HC 150mm is excellent, focusses very fast and very easy to find used for cheap. The HC 300mm is excellent but quite large and heavy.

The zooms are reportedly very good, but they are also quite large and heavy. That is why I don't use them.

There are some test pictures of H series lenses on http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.com

Anna Engel

I just purchased the Hasselblad H5D 50c WiFi along with two lenses, the 24mm f/4.8 and the 100mm f/2.2. I am looking to add some lenses to the kit. I shoot a variety of subjects including landscapes, portraits and action sports so I am also looking at the 150mm and the 300mm as well. Is the 50-110mm zoom all that it is hyped to be? I know a lot of portrait photographers that use that lens all the time.

I am looking for any input or feedback from Hasselblad users. Thanks in advance!
It's true that the HC 50-110 is a big lens, but you'll be fully compensated by IQ. Excellent lens. I highly recommend.

Anna Engel

It's true that the HC 50-110 is a big lens, but you'll be fully compensated by IQ. It's an excellent lens. I highly recommend.

Jay Emm

I just purchased the Hasselblad H5D 50c WiFi along with two lenses, the 24mm f/4.8 and the 100mm f/2.2. I am looking to add some lenses to the kit...
I have just sold my H4D-40 and the lenses. Without doubt the 100mm f2.2 you already have was my fave. Looking back through my files I see I used it a lot - more than the other two I owned (28 - which was also fantastic, and 35-90 which I found too big sometimes - although the quality was good)

Back to the 100, I read somewhere that "the 100mm, compared to 35mm full-frame FOV and DOF, equates to 69mm f/1.5". For me this was the perfect portrait lens. I have a theory that the more compressed look of a longer lens (for portraits) is increasingly old-fashioned - it looks like it comes from another era to me. In HCB's days he was running around Paris with a Leica and a 50 lens was pretty much it (talking 35mm again), then street photographers headed to 35mm, and today we see that 28mm is increasingly popular. In other words, over time, things have become a bit wider - and it follows that the wider look is increasingly "normal" to viewers (no, make that "the new normal" because the most popular camera in the world - the iPhone - has an approx equivalent of 28mm FOV, and that is how the majority of people are seeing and sharing the world - wider, wider, wider).

So, back to Hasselblad, the 100 as a portrait lens still gives some handy subject/photographer working space, it resolves beautifully, the "look" is fantastic as it's not as compressed as longer lenses for portraits so looks more modern, and it's small and fast for a Hasselblad lens. Long way of saying my advice without hesitation is to use the 100 for portraits - your work will be contemporary as well as high quality. Now for other needs, sure you may want a longer lens, but for portraits you're set IMO.

modator

I just purchased the Hasselblad H5D 50c WiFi along with two lenses, the 24mm f/4.8 and the 100mm f/2.2. I am looking to add some lenses to the kit
Hi Michael,
my compliments for the good choice of gear and lens, as per your need i think a good choice is to buy simply the TC 1,7x that transform the 100mm in a 170mm that perform's better than the 150.

The 300mm is one of my preferred lens in pair with the 35-90 that's really versatile, generally I pack the 35-90 and 300 with TC 1,7x and some LEE filter with 95mm thread LEE adapter and with a good tripod with the H5D-50c I don't need anything else for landscape photo.

Another lens I use all around is the HC 50mm II, the new model with aspherical lens design is always right in every occasion.. if sometime I pack the camera with only one lens attached the 50 II is the one i choose.

Let me know if You need other suggestion or else,

Happy New Year,
Domenico.

fotografz

In my experience, the new 50/3.5-II is Hasselblad's finest optic to date. They were pretty proud of this lens when it was launched, and I believe it was made to stand up against their 200 meg Multi-Shot camera. The difference between it and my previous 50mm was like night and day. The rendering of specular highlights is a real clue to this lenses' acuity.

There also is a Hasselblad Macro Converter for H lenses that was optimized for use on the new 50-II.

Fabulous lens, every bit the equal to the Leica S 45mm I now use (both approximate a 35mm FOV in 135 terms). So, if you like working with 35mm you'll love this optic.

- Marc

Dustbak

I have both the HC120vs2 as well as the HC50II and can agree these to be probably the best HB lenses for the H system. Indeed a difference of night and day with the previous versions.

My most used lens and favorite lens is the HC100. This is my default lens.

I also have the macro converter and together with the HC50II it is fabulous.

I also like the HC50-110, I prefer it over the HC35-90 IQ-wise.The weight is enormous but sometimes the benefits of a zoom are just what you need.

cerett

My choices for landscapes are the HCD 28mm, HCD 35-90mm and HC 50II. The 50-110mm is also excellent, but, as already mentioned, is quite big and heavy. If you do get their zooms, make sure you store them with the front element down. Congratulations on your purchase!

epforever

If you do get their zooms, make sure you store them with the front element down.
For clarity, the above is incorrect. Do not store the zooms with the front element down. Store them on their side or with the front element up (obviously on the side is more stable). The literature that comes with the lenses makes this clear.

jerome_m

I have both the HC120vs2 as well as the HC50II and can agree these to be probably the best HB lenses for the H system. Indeed a difference of night and day with the previous versions.

The difference between the second and the first HC 120 macro lenses has been studied here:
http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.com/index.php/topic,4313.0.html
and here:
http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.com/index.php/topic,1448.msg10804.html#msg10804

The second version is certainly better, but not "night and day" better for the simple reason that the first version was already very good.

michaelclark

Jay -

Good to hear. I am really excited about the 100mm lens. It seems like a top-notch lens from all I have heard. It also sounds like there really aren't any bad lenses in the Hasselblad line up. I also like the wide lenses for landscapes - which is why I got the 24mm lens as well. Thanks for the advice.

Cheers, Michael Clark

I have just sold my H4D-40 and the lenses. Without doubt the 100mm f2.2 you already have was my fave. Looking back through my files I see I used it a lot - more than the other two I owned (28 - which was also fantastic, and 35-90 which I found too big sometimes - although the quality was good)

Back to the 100, I read somewhere that "the 100mm, compared to 35mm full-frame FOV and DOF, equates to 69mm f/1.5". For me this was the perfect portrait lens. I have a theory that the more compressed look of a longer lens (for portraits) is increasingly old-fashioned - it looks like it comes from another era to me. In HCB's days he was running around Paris with a Leica and a 50 lens was pretty much it (talking 35mm again), then street photographers headed to 35mm, and today we see that 28mm is increasingly popular. In other words, over time, things have become a bit wider - and it follows that the wider look is increasingly "normal" to viewers (no, make that "the new normal" because the most popular camera in the world - the iPhone - has an approx equivalent of 28mm FOV, and that is how the majority of people are seeing and sharing the world - wider, wider, wider).

So, back to Hasselblad, the 100 as a portrait lens still gives some handy subject/photographer working space, it resolves beautifully, the "look" is fantastic as it's not as compressed as longer lenses for portraits so looks more modern, and it's small and fast for a Hasselblad lens. Long way of saying my advice without hesitation is to use the 100 for portraits - your work will be contemporary as well as high quality. Now for other needs, sure you may want a longer lens, but for portraits you're set IMO.

cerett

For clarity, the above is incorrect. Do not store the zooms with the front element down. Store them on their side or with the front element up (obviously on the side is more stable). The literature that comes with the lenses makes this clear.
Thank you, you're absolutely correct. Sorry, got mixed up . . . and I do actually store my two zooms with the front element up.

Dustbak

The difference between the second and the first HC 120 macro lenses has been studied here:
http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.com/index.php/topic,4313.0.html
and here:
http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.com/index.php/topic,1448.msg10804.html#msg10804

The second version is certainly better, but not "night and day" better for the simple reason that the first version was already very good.

Naturally the perception of quality difference is a subjective matter. I found with my copies of the HC120 that my vs2 is actually really a lot better. So much better where as I sometimes did prefer the HC100 with extention rings over the HC120vs1 this was no longer the case with the version 2. This means the version 2 actually gets used a lot more! For me that is a matter of 'night and day'.

modator

It's important to store the HC 50-110 lens with front element UP, not down because it's weight, if stored for a long period down it can damage the focus / zoom mechanism that become loose and then the lens require a re alignment or repair.

About the HCD 35-90 I didn't find any prescription for lens storing position as it's construction is different and the front element is more lighter, anyway the correct positioning in my shelf is always with the front element up.

Here's the H docs included in the 50-110 box....

Best regards, Domenico.

tcdeveau

+1 for the 35-90mm. I really like it for travel landscape.

Thanks for the storage info everyone. Never even considered this but mine is always stored on its side.