The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One IQ3 100mp. Shipping now. Full frame CMOS. HDMI.

vjbelle

So far the trade up policy is not very encouraging. I never thought any of the IQ series beyond the '1' made any sense - especially the IQ3 series. I am glad that I didn't trade up to any of those as the difference paid for those trade ups would never be recovered by the incremental increase in trade up for the 100MP over what I now have.

Victor

jerome_m

Zacuto Gratical is 5k OLED for HDMI.....
That viewfinder is 5.4 millions dots with an image resolution of 1280×1024, less than 2K which is usually 1920x1080. 5K, known from the imac retina, is 5120x2880.

5K will not run on a single HDMI channel, which is likely to be what the new IQ3 is using.

Stefan Steib

Here is the older EVF PRO from Zacuto on a D810 ... allows 1:1 magnification Zebras and peaking / false color and monochrome.
The newer Gratical adds waveforms and is much higher resolution.

Bob
Do you mean this one ? ....? but that is not 4,4k . It has 5,4 Mil Pixels and a res of 1280×1024 ?

http://www.zacuto.com/gratical-evf

I mean this one by Epson which has 1400x 1050 :

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/7963916751/epson-mass-produces-4-41m-dot-lcd.

Alas with the release of the Oculus rift and available Sony Z5 Phones that is topped by plenty, real 4k of res.
http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/xperia/technologies/displays/

This will become an interesting year
Stefan

gerald.d

Ok. Maybe temper that earlier enthusiasm a little.

"How does it behave with movements on the wide Rodies?"

"We think better than IQ250 but with very short lenses we would not go for the full image circle."

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
The pixel density does not agree. The IQ3 100MP has a slightly greater pixel density than the 50MP version. There is a possibility that the 100MP is an enlarged version of the IMX251 (A7R-II), which suggests possibility of BSI design ...
It would seem BSI would be a big deal ... I would think it would have been mentioned in the specs and marketing hype if it were. silence on the subject implies it isn't, but maybe the marketing dept didn't realize how big a deal it would be so they didn't think it was important to include in the specs.

narikin

Here is the older EVF PRO from Zacuto on a D810 ... allows 1:1 magnification Zebras and peaking / false color and monochrome.
Bob
Nice rig, but I personally wouldn't call that an EVF, I'd call that an attached monitor!

The Gratical model you mention is still way too big for my walk-around use.
Hopefully a Japanese manufacturer will release something a quarter this size soon!

stngoldberg

Ok. Maybe temper that earlier enthusiasm a little.

"How does it behave with movements on the wide Rodies?"

"We think better than IQ250 but with very short lenses we would not go for the full image circle."

Kind regards,

Gerald.
Very interested on how this sensor performs with the Rodie 32mm
Stanley

Last edited:

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Do you mean this one ? ....? but that is not 4,4k . It has 5,4 Mil Pixels and a res of 1280×1024 ?

Gratical HD Micro-OLED EVF

I mean this one by Epson which has 1400x 1050 :

Epson announces mass production of 4.41m dot LCD likely used in Leica SL: Digital Photography Review.

Alas with the release of the Oculus rift and available Sony Z5 Phones that is topped by plenty, real 4k of res.
HD and 4K Smartphones from Sony Xperia - Sony Xperia (Global UK English)

This will become an interesting year
Stefan

Yes you are correct meant 5.4 mil pixels ...

None of the larger monitors is worth much in brightly light situations...

I use the following for video but still need a decent EVF with waveforms and 1:1 magnification. In spite of capturing
4K and Raw and PRORES HQ, judging a thin DOF with the 7 inch monitor is difficult in bright light. The Zacuto solves this
as the eyecup eliminates the ambient lighting and glare. It allows for easy focusing with a 50 F1.2 at 36MP on the D810
so should be adequate for the Phase. So I use both the Zacuto and the Odyssey with video OUTSIDE ... I have learned to mount the Odyssey on the
sticks to eliminate vibration as on camera or rig it acts like a sail.

Odyssey 7Q+

Sorry for the poor wording of my previous post.

Regards,

Bob

narikin

Finally got to look at the files - looks very decent up to 400, then starts to get a bit noisy at 800 and of course more so at 1600 &up.

Still I'd say it's a 3 stop improvement in ISO. Where I used to shoot ISO 50, I can do 200 for sure, or 400 if needed, without any objectionable noise increase. And this is speaking as someone who's maximum was ISO 50 on old backs.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Nice rig, but I personally wouldn't call that an EVF, I'd call that an attached monitor!

The Gratical model you mention is still way too big for my walk-around use.
Hopefully a Japanese manufacturer will release something a quarter this size soon!
Please see my 7 inch monitor recorder post ... but yes the Gratical is heavy.

Personally do not see the 100MP Back as a walk around camera ... so when I shoot landscape
it is out of the bag when I set up a series of shots then back in to move... reminiscent of
4x5 days.

My Oconnor head tripod and video setup is pushing 8x10 weights so it is not a casual affair.

Problem with any EVF is it needs a power source ... and those can get a bit heavy. Doubt that the
Phase has a DTap or other power sharing output. Most of the Zacuto and smaller monitors use Canon
LP-E6N batteries which seems like nothing after using a RED and its monitor ....

RED Epic Monitor and IDX Battery

Well I do hope for a very small EVF with a decent eye point great resolution and better dynamic range than that of
the Leica SL as an add to any system ... maybe a year or two.

Bob

It would seem BSI would be a big deal ... I would think it would have been mentioned in the specs and marketing hype if it were. silence on the subject implies it isn't, but maybe the marketing dept didn't realize how big a deal it would be so they didn't think it was important to include in the specs.
Phase One's marketing team has a history of messing up technical details. Both Phase One and Credo falsely advertised their 50MP CMOS backs as 14-bit, but indeed these IMX161 backs capture 16-bit RAW files (despite the fact that the ADC may be only 14-bit).

My friend in Sony's sensor department didn't mention any development of new sensor technology so this 100MP sensor should be an enlargement of existing technology, and the closest bet is the IMX251 (A7R-II's BSI).

Everything is just speculation but we will see soon enough (color casts of wide angles).

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Phase One's marketing team has a history of messing up technical details. Both Phase One and Credo falsely advertised their 50MP CMOS backs as 14-bit, but indeed these IMX161 backs capture 16-bit RAW files (despite the fact that the ADC may be only 14-bit).

My friend in Sony's sensor department didn't mention any development of new sensor technology so this 100MP sensor should be an enlargement of existing technology, and the closest bet is the IMX251 (A7R-II's BSI).

Everything is just speculation but we will see soon enough (color casts of wide angles).
I think 15 stops of DR with clean higher ISO's makes BSI a pretty good bet.

Any way you slice it, this is a(nother) breakthrough piece of imaging equipment -- kudos to Phase!

vjbelle

I've viewed the sample files from Doug (thanks so much, Doug) and the noise level looks very similar to my Leaf CMOS. The most I would ever need would be 800iso and I would never try to mitigate any noise. If I can work out my deal then I'll buy one......

Victor

Lars

A few questions that I think we all have been silently asking...

- Does the IQ3 include multishot stepper for 400 Mpx captures?
- I assume there in-body IS for selfies - which selfie stick is recommended?
- What is the maximum frame rate for sports/action? My nephew is never still for a single moment.
- Are there Android/iOS apps for live view capture yet, and which social networks are supported? Or can I post to Facebook straight out of the camera? I use Facebook a lot, and Instagram is great for my selfies.
- Does each IQ3 come with its own Facebook page and Twitter feed? The Internet of Things is now, remember?
- When shooting 12K time lapses, how do I minimize the in-camera upload time to Youtube? I like to post my vids in real time.
- Which focal length reducing adapter should I use for my old large format lenses? Metabones don't seem to make one.
- Does the crop mode support MFT crop so I can use my Panasonic lenses? They are really good. I just need to find an adapter.
- To finance my purchase of an IQ3 I plan to sell both my kidneys, which means I need a permanent hookup to a dialysis machine - which brands do you recommend? Being Swedish I do have a preference for Gambro machines.

(Tongue in cheek :) the post-holiday vacuum got to me.)

The IQ3 specs tell of a true milestone in photography. If I could solve the financial equation I would retire my 8x10s in a heartbeat. Now, Guy mentioned something about Powerball...
Lars