The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One IQ3 100mp. Shipping now. Full frame CMOS. HDMI.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member

Channeling Steve Jobs here for a minute…

Today Phase One announces that it is shipping the world’s first 100mp camera, the first full-frame 645 CMOS camera, the first 16-bit CMOS sensor, and the first HDMI enabled digital back. These are not separate products; it’s the Phase One IQ3 100mp.

This is not an announcement-of-an-announcement. This is not a preview or a prototype. The IQ3 100mp is shipping*. In fact we have the tracking number of our demo units and appointments available.

- Full Frame 645
- CMOS Sensor
- 15 stops of dynamic range
- ISO 50 to ISO 12,800
- Electronic First Curtain Shutter
- HDMI Output (e.g. live view with a 7” battery-powered display untethered)

Read more at our Phase One IQ3 100mp page. We'll also have two articles up later today with more details!

As always, if you have any questions don't hesitate to email me or put them on this thread. Some answers I suspect I won't be able to provide until our units arrive early this week. But some I should be able to get by speaking with the R+D team.

Also, this will be our most tested back ever. You may remember our several tests of the IQ250 including ISO ramps, long exposure tests, and a massive Tech Camera Lens test in which we tested nearly every popular tech cam lens with five different Phase One digital back models. We'll be doing even more testing of the IQ3 100mp. So if you have testing requests, please feel free to email me or put them on this thread.

*I'd expect this back to be quite popular and go into back-order within days

Swissblad

Just received the P1 e-mail.....

Sounds like quite an achievement - any idea of SRP ($ or €)?

Anyhow its great for MF to start the year off with some good news.

:thumbup:

Nice one! I'd be interested in some compatibility tests with the technical camera lenses. Is the sensor designed and made by Sony?

Joint sensor development and optimization
Phase One and Sony have been development partners for years, the 50MP sensor being the first milestone of our cooperation, now found in the XF IQ3 50MP. Creating the full frame sibling to the 50MP CMOS system has been a top priority of Phase One for years. We’re proud to now deliver a solution that achieves the image quality requirements Phase One customers expect, all while providing the performance advantages inherent to 100MP CMOS sensor technology. Phase One sensor experts have been working hard to optimize the complete use of the 100MP sensor for the worlds most demanding photographers.
If it's Sony's BSI then it's really good news for technical camera users

Last edited:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Nice one! I'd be interested in some compatibility tests with the technical camera lenses. Is the sensor designed and made by Sony?
Sony made with Phase One collaboration on the design.

A full tech camera test is one of our first priorities. Similar to our comprehensive tech camera test we did at the Morgan.

Sony made with Phase One collaboration on the design.

A full tech camera test is one of our first priorities. Similar to our comprehensive tech camera test we did at the Morgan.
Here is a list of suggested testings to add on top of your already excellent tests (which you did for the IQ250):

a) Suppression of tiling issue, especially when heavily shifted and capturing the sky;

b) Mazing artifact of white walls indoors, especially shifted;

c) Dynamic range, especially for long exposure (and to test this it is first necessary to know the "true" base ISO, for which the 80MP and 60 MP CCDs are at 100 instead of 35 or 50).

If it's Sony's BSI then it's really good news for technical camera users
Just did some simple calculations - if we enlarge the Sony A7R-II:

42.4 MP * (53.7mm * 40.4mm / 36mm / 24mm) = 106 MP

Then it is very close to the IQ3 100MP. There is a possibility that it is BSI? (Note that it has Electronic First Curtain Shutter)

If true - what would happen to the discontinued Schneider 28mm XL lens?

narikin

Is there a really good EVF that can connect via HDMI?
Live View focusing on my tech bodies with an EVF is what I'm after!

I'm pretty hardcore tech camera user, and not so into in the XF body, but definitely interested in the new back (assuming it is available stand-alone). Getting a really good clean usable 200-400 ISO would be wonderful. I could never get above 50ISO on the IQ180 series before quality dropped too much.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
That's one of the primary intentions of the feature!

I'm pretty hardcore tech camera user, and not so into in the XF body, but definitely interested in the new back (assuming it is available stand-alone). Getting a really good clean usable 200-400 ISO would be wonderful. I could never get above 50ISO on the IQ180 series before quality dropped too much.
Yes it is available as a stand-alone back.

You can download raws of a full ISO ramp (50-12,00) here:
https://digitaltransitions.com/xf-100mp-camera-system/#raw

I suggest making prints from the raws, rather than judging on screen review alone (if printing is your intended end goal).

vjbelle

I believe that Zacuto makes an EVF connected by HDMI. I also am only tech camera user and can't/couldn't imagine that the back is not available as a stand alone back.

Victor