The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One IQ3 100mp. Shipping now. Full frame CMOS. HDMI.

modator

Thank's Dough for this marvelous introduction !

It seems there is an agreement on this kind of advertisement because the last time Hasselblad tells us they develop the CMOS sensor in collaboration with Sony... Then Phase arrived first on the market and Hasselblad pay the sensational news staying many months in development and testing of the new backs before they sell one, and first ones where problematic also.

This time maybe it's the same situation, but reversed, same story for the new 100MP CMOS made by SONY...
If Hasselblad is not dead, and the 100MP Sony sensor isn't exclusively available for Phase. this will be a good news for the MF segment,
then arrive the Pentax 645 Z 100, then the H6D-100c and the 100MS and the 400MP MS etc. etc. we will see in next few months on PHOTOKINA 2016 i suppose.

Anyway this is a very good achievement for Phase !

Best regards, and Happy 2016 !
Domenico.

gerald.d

Verrry interesting to see that ALPA had one for testing. I'm not sure if they always get pre-production backs, but this is the first time I can recall them talking about doing extensive tests with "stunning results" on launch day of a new back.

Keep an eye out on http://www.alpa.ch this week.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Isn't Medium Format supposed to be dead?
Rumors of its death have been greatly exaggerated.

Seriously though. The more things change the more they stay the same. We've heard prognostications of the end of medium format for years. Yet, Phase One's revenue has been up every year for nearly a decade now. And I think this back speaks for itself.

jlm

Workshop Member
as nice as the 100mpx are, and required to trump the 35mm gang, i see the feature set being the bonus, so long overdue (and some features also on 35mm cameras),
features i see quite useful (not all new):
HDMI; CMOS, touch screen, Capture One compatible, dynamic range, 60 min exposure (with another 60 min dark frame?), great ergonomics and construction, available as 50, 60 and 80 mpx versions

vjbelle

The 50MP version of this chip has completely revolutionized my photography experience. I get movements plus great DR plus fantastic live view. I have never had to grapple with very wide lenses with the 60mm Digitar being about as wide as I need. I also don't need shifting much beyond 10mm so this back should be perfect for me. Shall see what the upgrade pricing looks like....

Victor

The 50MP version of this chip has completely revolutionized my photography experience. I get movements plus great DR plus fantastic live view. I have never had to grapple with very wide lenses with the 60mm Digitar being about as wide as I need. I also don't need shifting much beyond 10mm so this back should be perfect for me. Shall see what the upgrade pricing looks like....

Victor
The pixel density does not agree. The IQ3 100MP has a slightly greater pixel density than the 50MP version. There is a possibility that the 100MP is an enlarged version of the IMX251 (A7R-II), which suggests possibility of BSI design, which suggests possibility of compatibility with symmetric wide angles :)

narikin

One sad thing is the timing for US based customers:

- We have just (Dec 31st) finished our tax year, and if we had been able to buy/put deposits down on this in 2015, could have deducted it from the last years taxes. That saving is now lost to the Feds forever.

f8orbust

Well, I thought full-frame MF CMOS would arrive in early 2016, but not quite this early.

Sunday 3rd January - an odd time for a big announcement - wonder if Hasselblad is about to announce something similar ?

Time will tell !

Jim

Last edited:

narikin

Verrry interesting to see that ALPA had one for testing. I'm not sure if they always get pre-production backs, but this is the first time I can recall them talking about doing extensive tests with "stunning results" on launch day of a new back.
Gerald.
Where are they quoted saying this Gerald?

This could well be the back the Alpa FPS has been waiting for - makes the FPS into a 100mp mirrorless MF camera, with live view EVF for focusing!

(Hopefully a firmware update will enable Electronic First Curtain for the FPS shutter too)

Stefan Steib

So my Guess for the HDMI Output is version 2.0 ? By this there could be a new electronic 4,4k Oled finder as Epson´s (or Leica SL) !

Good move.

Congrats to Phase stepping ahead of the wave again. This is a very important launch. And yes - even the Price is exactly right.
it doesn´t make sense for Phase to go cheaper. So they moved up.

Greetings from Germany
Stefan

Lars

Congrats on the product launch - everyone benefits from P1 pushing the envelope.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
So my Guess for the HDMI Output is version 2.0 ? By this there could be a new electronic 4,4k Oled finder as Epson´s (or Leica SL) !

Good move.

Congrats to Phase stepping ahead of the wave again. This is a very important launch. And yes - even the Price is exactly right.
it doesn´t make sense for Phase to go cheaper. So they moved up.

Greetings from Germany
Stefan
Zacuto Gratical is 5k OLED for HDMI.....

Here is the older EVF PRO from Zacuto on a D810 ... allows 1:1 magnification Zebras and peaking / false color and monochrome.

Zacuto EVF Pro on D810

The newer Gratical adds waveforms and is much higher resolution.

- - - Updated - - -

Should be working now. Can you please confirm?

If not just shoot me an email at [email protected] and I'll share via Google Drive instead of our server.
Just downloaded here.

Bob