The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One IQ3 100mp. Shipping now. Full frame CMOS. HDMI.

DougDolde

Depends what you are shooting with and what style. Obviously what some may think "crap" (thanks for your eloquence) others may deem a ground breaking necessity.

An EVF showing 100Mp MF direct live view (sensor output) for dead on focusing is great for anyone walking about with a lightweight tech camera (Alpa , Arca, Cambo) without a tripod, and they might find this a great solution. You are carrying your phone anyhoo, so how heavy can it be?

Also this turns an Alpa FPS into a 100Mp mirrorless with incredible lens options (Canon, Hassy, Rollei, Contax, Rodenstock, Schneider) focusing at 100% with direct sensor focusing EVF. Definitely not a 'crap' option to my mind!
]]

Knock yourself out. There is no limit to what you can spend on gear but can you carry it all? Will it make you a better photographer? As far as I am concerned it is indeed crap I have no use for. Double that for the FPS

narikin

]]

Knock yourself out. There is no limit to what you can spend on gear but can you carry it all? Will it make you a better photographer? As far as I am concerned it is indeed crap I have no use for. Double that for the FPS
An FPS + IQ180 is about all I walk about with/shoot at the moment. So for me it's a huge bonus to get Live View EVF focusing for the weight of an iPhone.

How about this - you use what you like, and I use what I like, and we don't call each others' gear 'crap'? :eek:

Jeffrey

I stopped by the local camera store where they have a fairly extensive pro department and video department. I asked about the 5" SmallHD monitor. These guys tell you when not to buy something. Perhaps hard to believe but it is true. However, they were all raves about the SmallHD monitors saying the video guys swear by these things. I asked about using one for focusing my technical camera and the response was positive. So, I bought one. It will fit into Don's backpack along with Ken's. Don won't know he is carrying the monitors for us. And, the 5" monitor is far more easy to lug around than a Surface Pro.

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

Regarding the Sony upgrades the wait for the A7rII was almost two years, also the second generation of A7 (A7II, A7sII, A7rII) was essentially a feature upgrade. A7rII got a new sensor, with EFCS, on chip phase detection AF and a new designed sensor. The other upgrades were better construction, less confusing menu system, improved AF, etc. I still think sensor development is like three year cycle.

Much development is coming from small sensors, of course.

Best regards
Erik

I strongly doubt about that. Note that since 2008 Sony has made some leap in sensor development and as of 2016 today the speed is really fast. They refresh their mirrorless cameras almost every year.

Currently the residual value of the 80MP, 60MP and 50MP would be protected by the price of the 100MP (for a short while). However I have been told by several sources that the exclusivity of this 100MP sensor for Phase One will not last long. It is highly likely that Pentax will acquire this 100MP sensor within several months. When that happens, then anything below 100MP becomes "entry level" (I hate that wording) thanks to Pentax!

I was told that actually Sony wouldn't bother to develop such a 100MP sensor at all as well as the 50MP if it weren't for Pentax ordering a decent amount. That means Pentax will inevitably acquire it.

I miss the years where Phase One had exclusive access to the 80MP sensor. Even the 60MP sensor wasn't too bad as Hasselblad did not crush the pricing. Now it's a completely different game and even Phase One had to cancel their investment protection plan.

vjbelle

That said, my larger size Android 6N phone last 2 days on battery power, has USB-C and a 2K display 5.7" OLED screen. I'd love to use that instead. Hopefully Phase can work this into Capture Pilot App?
That would pretty amazing and maybe do-able.

Victor

kdphotography

I stopped by the local camera store where they have a fairly extensive pro department and video department. I asked about the 5" SmallHD monitor. These guys tell you when not to buy something. Perhaps hard to believe but it is true. However, they were all raves about the SmallHD monitors saying the video guys swear by these things. I asked about using one for focusing my technical camera and the response was positive. So, I bought one. It will fit into Don's backpack along with Ken's. Don won't know he is carrying the monitors for us. And, the 5" monitor is far more easy to lug around than a Surface Pro.
You surprised me, Jeffrey. I though for sure it would be Graham buying the SmallHD monitor first! :ROTFL:

Did you get the SideFinder option? I think that this is going to be the only way to really avoid the "sun-glare" issue out on location.

Please bring it to CI in Carmel next month!

Ken

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
You surprised me, Jeffrey. I though for sure it would be Graham buying the SmallHD monitor first! :ROTFL:

Did you get the SideFinder option? I think that this is going to be the only way to really avoid the "sun-glare" issue out on location.

Please bring it to CI in Carmel next month!

Ken
Hmmm ... although in the absence of a MFDB that I could plug it in to it is somewhat moot. It would be cool with my A7RII though I guess ;)

I agree about the need for the side finder, depending upon how much glare there is from the screen. That's why I eventually gave up using my iPhone viewfinder on the Alpa. Most of the time it was fine but under certain circumstances, like at sun rise, all I could see was the reflection of my own eyeball.

Looks like Jeffrey is going for first dibs on the loaner IQ3 100 at CI Carmel? Or perhaps the order is already in? :thumbup:

jaree

Right, I don't. But this is what I'm talking about - most people don't see it for this reason or any other. At the end, most people don't shoot MFD. And like I said, there's no way they jump in anytime soon. Especially, because there's less difference now between 42 mpix and 100 then it was between 12 and 40.
This camera is not for "most people". It is for "some people" who know what they are doing and what they want. Most people can't tell a difference between an iPhone6 shot and Sony A7Rii shot.

Jeffrey

Hmmm ... although in the absence of a MFDB that I could plug it in to it is somewhat moot. It would be cool with my A7RII though I guess ;)

I agree about the need for the side finder, depending upon how much glare there is from the screen. That's why I eventually gave up using my iPhone viewfinder on the Alpa. Most of the time it was fine but under certain circumstances, like at sun rise, all I could see was the reflection of my own eyeball.

Looks like Jeffrey is going for first dibs on the loaner IQ3 100 at CI Carmel? Or perhaps the order is already in? :thumbup:
Well Graham, since you asked, yes my order is in for the new back. I don't think though that I'm first in line at the Pigs shoot to demo the new back.

And Ken, yes I'll bring the new SmallHD monitor and eye piece to the Pigs shoot. I don't think that someone we know will have my new back to me in time for our Pigs shoot but we can take turns giving the monitor a test drive while it is connected to the new back. That is, if we can get Don to take the new monitor out of his backpack. :ROTFL:

kdphotography

All I can say is ... :thumbs: I shall have to live vicariously through you and the other IQ3 100 owners at Pigs.
I just know there's more room in that motorized camera bag of yours :grin:

We all might be surprised----besides a demo IQ3 100MP, Phase just may make some IQ3 100 deliveries to proud owners prior to Pigs (aka CI in Carmel). We'll see.

The CMOS live view from the IQ250 was quite good for focusing; the SmallHD and Sidefinder might put everything over the top, especially when dealing with glare. Nice options.

ken

jlm

Workshop Member
Was lured to b&h
Brought home the small the smallhd 702 after comparing it to the 501; no eyepiece, bright screen about 4" height of an I-pad screen, where the 501 is a bit smaller than my I-phone 6+ Larger size is useful and screen res looks good
Will be perfect with canon ts lenses on my a7rII and any Mf lenses
Am bringing it to pigs so Dave can sell more iq-3's

cdavis32

Was lured to b&h
Brought home the small the smallhd 702 after comparing it to the 501; no eyepiece, bright screen about 4" height of an I-pad screen, where the 501 is a bit smaller than my I-phone 6+ Larger size is useful and screen res looks good
Will be perfect with canon ts lenses on my a7rII and any Mf lenses
Am bringing it to pigs so Dave can sell more iq-3's

Was wondering about that... 5 inch is just a bit bigger than my iphone 6 screen size, but smaller than my wife's plus. May be a bit too small, and not much bigger than the back/camera screen. Any thoughts?

Anyone try or hear about the Ikan DH5/DH7? The SmallHD screens offer a bunch of features and integrated software that seem useful for video production, but overkill for still's. I just need to compose and focus, not have zebra stripes, focus masking, custom LUT's in monitor, etc. The Ikan DH's are cheap and light...

I love composing on a ground glass, so interested in trying the screen upside down and backwards, which most monitors allow!

jlm

Workshop Member
B&H is a treasure. i purchased and tried out the 7" SmallHD 702 monitor; great unit, showed it to Doug who ran it off the IQ-3, works quite well. however it is $1,500, and my use will be primarily with the A7RII, not so demanding.

so i returned it and bought the Elvid RigVison 7" ($500).

for your info, both can take Sony F750 batteries (and others, like Canon), 7" is better than 5", the Small HD 702 is brighter and can fit one or two batteries, the Elvid comes with a hood and cables, can hold one battery, an AC-12v adapter, a ball swivel mount, the 702 comes with nothing, not even an instruction book, but will take a SD card and has a built in tutorial.

not an exhaustive comparison, by any means

Last edited:
In the Air with the IQ3 100

I did a test flight with the newly purchased IQ3 101 ;) , XF and different lenses: 80LS, 110LS, 150LS, 120 Macro, 240LS
It was a very small helicopter (Robinson R44) which produce lots of vibrations. I'm happy to report that I managed to get sharp Images from any of those lenses.

JPG below
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7wvLNihUwDEeEVNdmNfTkk3anM/view?usp=sharing

The subject does not matter, the idea was just to test the equipment.
Sorry, no model right in the middle of the frame with an awesome makup, the latest profoto and with 100% crop on the eyes ;-)
The helicopter was flying at about 80kts while I took this shot. (1 door off)

No processing, just levels adjustment, otherwise standard settings (capture one 9.02), exported as Tiff 16 bit Profoto, saved as JPEG Quality 8 (sRGB, 8 bits)

Dan Santoso

Halo,

Yesterday was the 3100 launch in my country. I had a few min to compare it to IQ180. My initial thought was the 3100 has more red saturation in the skin tone ( model is western). In my eyes the IQ 180 has more natural/less saturation. I will post files later.

I am still waiting for someone here do a skin tone test...Just my 2 cent.