The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

XF shutter speed options question

strok

Hi, trying to set my shutter speed to 43m
Available options : 30min, 40min, 50min, 1h
Can't find any information in the manuals.
Thanks

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Hi, trying to set my shutter speed to 43m
Available options : 30min, 40min, 50min, 1h
Can't find any information in the manuals.
Thanks
Set exposure to 50min.

Start the exposure. Watch the timer. At 43 minutes push the button next to the label "stop" on the XF.

Careful not to push the button labeled "cancel" which will abandon the exposure instead of stopping it and saving the exposure.

If this is unclear in writing your dealer should be able to step you through it.

strok

Thank you Doug.
To be honest I didn't expect this kind of solution from 10k body.
Why not to add lets say "HOLD for 3s display" with 40sec and it will give you an EXPEND option?
Regards

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
[HR][/HR]
Thank you Doug.
To be honest I didn't expect this kind of solution from 10k body.
Why not to add lets say "HOLD for 3s display" with 40sec and it will give you an EXPEND option?
Regards
I think that's a great idea!

Interval shooting would also be welcome.

The XF will be updated for years to come so I wouldn't be surprised to see these happen.

Are there any cameras you can think of that allow a preset exposure time so precisely as to have values between 40 minutes and 50 minutes? If so they could serve to inform the implementation/design of such a feature/capability.

Last edited:

Paul2660

I did not realize that the XF would time an exposure past 30", i.e. need of bulb.

With all modern DSLR's exception being the D810A, all have an intervalometer, but no timer, thus you are limited to 30" max, pretty worthless for a lot of photographic applications needing long exposures.

The addition of this is actually pretty simple, example, Magic Lantern's fix for most Canon cameras. One feature is a fully functioning intervalometer/timer.

With the XF having the ability to go into longer times than 30", (I base this on info in this post showing it can go to 50 minutes or longer), then all is needed is the intervalometer, and maybe Phase One can add that in firmware.

Paul C