The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Hasselblad 100mp sensor camera soon to be launched.

Quentin_Bargate

I don't believe this has been mentioned already here, but respected commercial photographer Carl Taylor, a long time Hasselblad user, has reported on his Facebook page that he has seen the specs of a new Hasselblad 100mp Camera and that he will get his hands on one in March.

https://www.facebook.com/KarlTaylorPhotography

Carl Taylor is a not a guy to blow spoke up anyone's posterior, so this is a reliable report, in my view.

I wouldn't worry about the Hasselblad 100MP because I don't think it will be significantly cheaper than the Phase. However Pentax could be a game changer if they gain access to the 100MP sensor and set the price tag the same as the inductive price of the 645Z.

Quentin_Bargate

I have a several Hassy H series lenses so its the only MF brand i would look at unless we get sensational cross platform upgrade offers for non Phase One users to switch.

I wouldn't worry about the Hasselblad 100MP because I don't think it will be significantly cheaper than the Phase. However Pentax could be a game changer if they gain access to the 100MP sensor and set the price tag the same as the inductive price of the 645Z.

I have a several Hassy H series lenses so its the only MF brand i would look at unless we get sensational cross platform upgrade offers for non Phase One users to switch.
That's indeed a very good news for Hasselblad. The years without 80MP was... perhaps difficult. Now we can see Hasselblad shine again :)

JeRuFo

While it would be great to see a more affordable super high MP camera, I don't think Pentax will try it with this sensor. It simply doesn't have the lens system right now to do this new sensor any justice. Although they did bring out several full frame 645 lenses along with the new DA ones.

Sharokin

Not enough quality glass, slow flash sync, and virtually no pro support makes the Pentax overpriced for some.

Pradeep

Not enough quality glass, slow flash sync, and virtually no pro support makes the Pentax overpriced for some.
And yet - better DR, better camera (vs DF+), better IQ, better live view, the same high resolution - all at a quarter the price made the Pentax more attractive than the IQ250 for some.

It all depends upon what your needs are and how much you are willing to pay for (sometimes) marginal improvements.

Swissblad

I don't believe this has been mentioned already here, but respected commercial photographer Carl Taylor, a long time Hasselblad user, has reported on his Facebook page that he has seen the specs of a new Hasselblad 100mp Camera and that he will get his hands on one in March.

Carl Taylor is a not a guy to blow spoke up anyone's posterior, so this is a reliable report, in my view.
Good news for HB fans..... no doubt out of my € league - but good news nonetheless!

:thumbs:

hcubell

Hello Quentin. Strange that Mr. Taylor felt comfortable saying that he saw the "specs" for a new Hassy 100MP camera, but then didn't share what the specs were beyond 100MP. The implication was that there was much more to it than just an H5D with the new 100MP Sony chip. As for price, we shall see. For the owner of an IQ180 in H mount that uses it on an H2 or H5X and lots of H Series lenses, I could see a price for a new H6D100 that would be very compelling as an upgrade path compared to $26K for the new Phase back on a trade in of an IQ180. Hassy is selling the H5D50 CMOS camera for $16K. What is Phase charging for the XF and the IQ150?

jagsiva

As for price, we shall see. For the owner of an IQ180 in H mount that uses it on an H2 or H5X and lots of H Series lenses, I could see a price for a new H6D100 that would be very compelling as an upgrade path compared to $26K for the new Phase back on a trade in of an IQ180.

The upgrade pricing from IQ180-->IQ3100 is marginally better than a fair market resale of a used IQ180. It is fair, but certainly not anywhere like the 60% off the list price of an IQ180 for a P65+ upgrade that was offered when the first IQ series showed up.

I could see Hasselblad releasing a 100MP back in the 25K range and one with multi-shot for another 10-14K more.

Paul2660

The upgrade pricing from IQ180-->IQ3100 is marginally better than a fair market resale of a used IQ180. It is fair, but certainly not anywhere like the 60% off the list price of an IQ180 for a P65+ upgrade that was offered when the first IQ series showed up.

I could see Hasselblad releasing a 100MP back in the 25K range and one with multi-shot for another 10-14K more.
Yes, those were the days for sure. I don't think Phase will be doing that again at until some other competition arrives.

Paul C

f8orbust

Has P1 abandoned the MP % discount - e.g. 80% off for trading 'up' from an 80MP back etc. ? If so, that's a shame - it was easy to understand, at least.

If they have, how do they calculate trade-in value now against the IQ3100? Is there a standard formula ?

jagsiva

Has P1 abandoned the MP % discount - e.g. 80% off for trading 'up' from an 80MP back etc. ? If so, that's a shame - it was easy to understand, at least.

If they have, how do they calculate trade-in value now against the IQ3100? Is there a standard formula ?
Yeah, I was looking to upgrade to the IQ3 140MP from IQ3 100MP :)

- - - Updated - - -

There is a standard amount for each back. Dealers have pricing for each country/region.

Quentin_Bargate

Hi Howard

I trust Carl Taylor, but pehaps his leak, no doubt authorised by Hasselblad, has been designed to filter out through social media to keep Hassy in the game until Hassy itself is ready to go public. Thus, he does not have much more to say until he can test something, he says in March.

I'm no more than moderately interested at this stage.

Maybe a new H6D body along with the new sensor?

Hello Quentin. Strange that Mr. Taylor felt comfortable saying that he saw the "specs" for a new Hassy 100MP camera, but then didn't share what the specs were beyond 100MP. The implication was that there was much more to it than just an H5D with the new 100MP Sony chip. As for price, we shall see. For the owner of an IQ180 in H mount that uses it on an H2 or H5X and lots of H Series lenses, I could see a price for a new H6D100 that would be very compelling as an upgrade path compared to $26K for the new Phase back on a trade in of an IQ180. Hassy is selling the H5D50 CMOS camera for $16K. What is Phase charging for the XF and the IQ150?

Steve Hendrix

Phase One upgrade pricing is based on generational levels. At the time of the IQ180 launch, the P+ models were the most recent previous generation, hence the megapixel based percent discount.

And there has continued to be a megapixel-based percent discount structure for the most recent previous generation models (for the most part).

Generations that are 2 and 3 generations back slot in at a fixed trade in value that is likely drawn from the same factors/conditions you or I would consider, however I don't know the exact formulation that is used for those older generation upgrade paths.

At some point, they cannot continue to offer a megapixel based discount for all models sharing the same megapixel count, as there is a substantial market value difference between an IQ180 and an IQ380, for example.

Steve Hendrix
CI

Jeffrey

In all sincerity, some of us wonder if Hassy will survive. I sure hope they do even though I am not a Hassy shooter.

drevil

Staff member
if they continue to lower prices, i am quite sure hasselblad will do well

actually it makes me wonder why phase still insists on such high prices, ok, they can because people still buy it but competition grows and prices are being lowered.

cant wait to see what brian hirschfeld will announce one day with his company

rmueller

Somehow wondering why most HB discussions are mixed with "Pentax is better" and Phase upgrade politics discussions, i'm not interested in both since i own a heck of HB glass, enjoy the H body and would only switch when my H system breaks AND HB running out of business.

Anyway, guess that 100MP HB is out of my price range at this point, but if it lowers the price of other H's that's all too good for me since i'm looking forward to upgrading my beloved H3DII-31 this year. I do hope the body will get a face lifting with USB3 instead of FW for example.

Regards,
Ralf

Last edited:

Quentin_Bargate

i speculate that the answer is that Phase is stronger in North America, Hasselblad stronger in Europe. Hasselblad shooters are just as loyal as Phase or Pentax shooters, there are just fewer of them (us) represented here.

Somehow wondering why most HB discussions are mixed with "Pentax is better" and Phase upgrade politics discussions, i'm not interested in both since i own a heck of HB glass, enjoy the H body and would only switch when my H system breaks AND HB running out of business.

Anyway, guess that 100MP HB is out of my price range at this point, but if it lowers the price of other H's that's all too good for me since i'm looking forward to upgrading my beloved H3DII-31 this year. I do hope the body will get a face lifting with USB3 instead of FW for example.

Regards,
Ralf