The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Latest Firmware for XF

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Perhaps I missed an announcement, but I see Phase has issued update 8.01.1 for the XF. I installed it today and to my delight it has eliminated the dreaded "Capture Error" I was getting when I took my camera out into very cold weather. I spent an hour out in -5C today and took 100 exposures with no interruption.

One is supposed to update the back at the same time, which I did too.

Jeffrey

Thanks for the tip regarding the firmware updates. I installed the updates for the body and the back. Now if only the new back will arrive!

As for your standing out in such frigid weather conditions, well. . .

From an overcast southern California where it is 64 degrees above zero at the moment.

stephengilbert

Jeffrey,

I live in SoCal too. Is it your experience that Phase backs will operate even when the temps dip into the 60s?

Steve

P.S. Not that I'd go outside in such conditions.

aztwang

Perhaps I missed an announcement, but I see Phase has issued update 8.01.1 for the XF. I installed it today and to my delight it has eliminated the dreaded "Capture Error" I was getting when I took my camera out into very cold weather. I spent an hour out in -5C today and took 100 exposures with no interruption.

One is supposed to update the back at the same time, which I did too.
Bill,
I installed the latest firmware as well. The only issue I had after that was with a "OVF" error. I took off the view finder a few times and reinstalled and still the error would come back. Heres were it gets interesting. Some while back I was having black frame issues with my Nikon 24-70 on my D3S. I had cleaned the contacts, used an eraser and still had black frames. Someone on FM suggested I try to clean the contacts with a product called DeOxit Gold, he swore by it. It's a electrical contact cleaner and enhancer. I laughed but figured what the hell, $12 bucks vs. a visit to Nikon and $200-500 dollars so I bought some on Amazon. Long story short this stuff freaking works, no snake oil I promise. It has proven its abilities on several Nikon & Canon bodies & lens's since with 100% effectiveness. So...I tried it on the XF , applying a liberal amount (not dripping) on a cue tip and carefully rubbed on each contact on the body and viewfinder and have not had that error reoccur since, thats 4 client shoots.
Love the XF to death and now that I got my iPad back I'll love it more. Love your landscape work

Don

M

mjr

Bill

What temperatures are you having problems at with the XF? I am picking up a tech cam with a Phase back and thinking of adding the XF for business portrait work but it is cold here, the Leica S works perfectly down to -40c and in the winter I am often shooting outside. Is the XF going to cope with that in your experience? I'm sure the back will.

Thanks

Mat

M

mjr

Hi Pramote

I don't want to switch but just won a big architecture/interiors contract and the S just isn't the right tool for the job I'm afraid so will move back to Phase, hoping I will have a IQ260 to use soon, if not I will go for a IQ250 and see what happens with shifting. If I get the Phase then I will probably get an XF and a portrait lens to cover my standard commercial portraiture contracts, nice to stick with one look.

Hope you're having a good weekend.

Mat

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Hi Pramote

I don't want to switch but just won a big architecture/interiors contract and the S just isn't the right tool for the job I'm afraid so will move back to Phase, hoping I will have a IQ260 to use soon, if not I will go for a IQ250 and see what happens with shifting. If I get the Phase then I will probably get an XF and a portrait lens to cover my standard commercial portraiture contracts, nice to stick with one look.

Hope you're having a good weekend.

Mat
Congratulations for winning a contract!
By the way, the XF is fantastic. You will like it.
Again, with your talent, I can't wait to see your landscape/architecture pictures from a tech cam.

Pramote

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Bill

What temperatures are you having problems at with the XF? I am picking up a tech cam with a Phase back and thinking of adding the XF for business portrait work but it is cold here, the Leica S works perfectly down to -40c and in the winter I am often shooting outside. Is the XF going to cope with that in your experience? I'm sure the back will.

Thanks

Mat
Mat, today I shot for a couple of hours in -8C (18F) and the XF worked flawlessly. I got too cold before the camera did! Firmware update 1.08.1 is a must and has made all the difference. (Though you must update the back too.)

I'll post a few results tomorrow.

Kirmo

We had a few weeks real winter and several days -26C ... -36C.

Missed reading this topic and was busy just keeping the house warm and preparing
my self for the coming trip to Asia.

Hope to have some more winter weather when back and I'll try to rememeber check
how XF handles this climate.

Bill, I did take also the IQ380 as it helped to get the XF quicker.

Really been happy with XF.

Kirmo