Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Latest Firmware for XF

  1. #1
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Bill Caulfeild-Browne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Bruce Peninsula, Canada
    Posts
    2,534
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    184

    Latest Firmware for XF

    Perhaps I missed an announcement, but I see Phase has issued update 8.01.1 for the XF. I installed it today and to my delight it has eliminated the dreaded "Capture Error" I was getting when I took my camera out into very cold weather. I spent an hour out in -5C today and took 100 exposures with no interruption.

    One is supposed to update the back at the same time, which I did too.
    Bill CB

    www.billcaulfeild-browne.ca
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    62
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Latest Firmware for XF

    Thanks for the tip regarding the firmware updates. I installed the updates for the body and the back. Now if only the new back will arrive!

    As for your standing out in such frigid weather conditions, well. . .

    From an overcast southern California where it is 64 degrees above zero at the moment.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  3. #3
    Senior Member stephengilbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    Posts
    2,272
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: Latest Firmware for XF

    Jeffrey,

    I live in SoCal too. Is it your experience that Phase backs will operate even when the temps dip into the 60s?

    Steve

    P.S. Not that I'd go outside in such conditions.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  4. #4
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Bill Caulfeild-Browne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Bruce Peninsula, Canada
    Posts
    2,534
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    184

    Re: Latest Firmware for XF

    Sissies!
    Bill CB

    www.billcaulfeild-browne.ca
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  5. #5
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,274
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Re: Latest Firmware for XF

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Caulfeild-Browne View Post
    Sissies!
    As I'll be spending the week in our LA office, I'm gladly and proudly a sissy this week!
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

  6. #6
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Bill Caulfeild-Browne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Bruce Peninsula, Canada
    Posts
    2,534
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    184

    Re: Latest Firmware for XF

    OK, I'm green.

  7. #7
    Senior Member aztwang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    370
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Latest Firmware for XF

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Caulfeild-Browne View Post
    Perhaps I missed an announcement, but I see Phase has issued update 8.01.1 for the XF. I installed it today and to my delight it has eliminated the dreaded "Capture Error" I was getting when I took my camera out into very cold weather. I spent an hour out in -5C today and took 100 exposures with no interruption.

    One is supposed to update the back at the same time, which I did too.
    Bill,
    I installed the latest firmware as well. The only issue I had after that was with a "OVF" error. I took off the view finder a few times and reinstalled and still the error would come back. Heres were it gets interesting. Some while back I was having black frame issues with my Nikon 24-70 on my D3S. I had cleaned the contacts, used an eraser and still had black frames. Someone on FM suggested I try to clean the contacts with a product called DeOxit Gold, he swore by it. It's a electrical contact cleaner and enhancer. I laughed but figured what the hell, $12 bucks vs. a visit to Nikon and $200-500 dollars so I bought some on Amazon. Long story short this stuff freaking works, no snake oil I promise. It has proven its abilities on several Nikon & Canon bodies & lens's since with 100% effectiveness. So...I tried it on the XF , applying a liberal amount (not dripping) on a cue tip and carefully rubbed on each contact on the body and viewfinder and have not had that error reoccur since, thats 4 client shoots.
    Love the XF to death and now that I got my iPad back I'll love it more. Love your landscape work

    Don
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    North Sweden
    Posts
    1,401
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Latest Firmware for XF

    Bill

    What temperatures are you having problems at with the XF? I am picking up a tech cam with a Phase back and thinking of adding the XF for business portrait work but it is cold here, the Leica S works perfectly down to -40c and in the winter I am often shooting outside. Is the XF going to cope with that in your experience? I'm sure the back will.

    Thanks

    Mat

  9. #9
    Senior Subscriber Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Englewood, CO
    Posts
    2,489
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1248

    Re: Latest Firmware for XF

    Matt,

    Switching from Leica S?
    Which back will you get?
    I can't wait to see your pictures by a tech cam

    Best
    Pramote
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    North Sweden
    Posts
    1,401
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Latest Firmware for XF

    Hi Pramote

    I don't want to switch but just won a big architecture/interiors contract and the S just isn't the right tool for the job I'm afraid so will move back to Phase, hoping I will have a IQ260 to use soon, if not I will go for a IQ250 and see what happens with shifting. If I get the Phase then I will probably get an XF and a portrait lens to cover my standard commercial portraiture contracts, nice to stick with one look.

    Hope you're having a good weekend.

    Mat

  11. #11
    Senior Subscriber Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Englewood, CO
    Posts
    2,489
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1248

    Re: Latest Firmware for XF

    Quote Originally Posted by mjr View Post
    Hi Pramote

    I don't want to switch but just won a big architecture/interiors contract and the S just isn't the right tool for the job I'm afraid so will move back to Phase, hoping I will have a IQ260 to use soon, if not I will go for a IQ250 and see what happens with shifting. If I get the Phase then I will probably get an XF and a portrait lens to cover my standard commercial portraiture contracts, nice to stick with one look.

    Hope you're having a good weekend.

    Mat
    Congratulations for winning a contract!
    By the way, the XF is fantastic. You will like it.
    Again, with your talent, I can't wait to see your landscape/architecture pictures from a tech cam.

    Pramote
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  12. #12
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Bill Caulfeild-Browne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Bruce Peninsula, Canada
    Posts
    2,534
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    184

    Re: Latest Firmware for XF

    Quote Originally Posted by mjr View Post
    Bill

    What temperatures are you having problems at with the XF? I am picking up a tech cam with a Phase back and thinking of adding the XF for business portrait work but it is cold here, the Leica S works perfectly down to -40c and in the winter I am often shooting outside. Is the XF going to cope with that in your experience? I'm sure the back will.

    Thanks

    Mat
    Mat, today I shot for a couple of hours in -8C (18F) and the XF worked flawlessly. I got too cold before the camera did! Firmware update 1.08.1 is a must and has made all the difference. (Though you must update the back too.)

    I'll post a few results tomorrow.
    Bill CB

    www.billcaulfeild-browne.ca
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Parikkala, Finland
    Posts
    34
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Latest Firmware for XF

    We had a few weeks real winter and several days -26C ... -36C.

    Missed reading this topic and was busy just keeping the house warm and preparing
    my self for the coming trip to Asia.

    Hope to have some more winter weather when back and I'll try to rememeber check
    how XF handles this climate.

    Bill, I did take also the IQ380 as it helped to get the XF quicker.

    Really been happy with XF.

    Kirmo
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •