The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rodenstock HR Digaron 70mm on current high res backs?

cly

I am interested in this lens and would appreciate comments on it's qualities, in particular with movements.

Chris

Last edited:

kdphotography

I have the HR70 t/s on Cambo---IQ180.

HR70 is exceptionally easy to use and shares the same personality as the HR40 t/s

ken

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Me too on cambo Actus DB with IQ150. No problems whatsoever with movements even out to 20mm rise/fall with that back. Little to no LCC required and super sharp IMHO. Not quite 90 HRSW but we're talking nuances.

narikin

It's a good lens.

The old (blue ring) 90mm was not really good enough for digital, but the 70mm was. Rodenstock acknowledged that and brought out the HRSW 90mm (yellow ring) which is imho, Rodenstock's finest lens, considering its large image circle, but didn't update the 70mm, as it really wasn't worth it.

It's a nice walk-around lens too - lighter weight, easy to use, modest size, yet you can shift/stitch with it, to a reasonable degree. If you do not use rise/fall or shift-stitch, then you could also look at the 60mm, which is a stop faster, but gives no movements at all.

Paul2660

It's a good lens.

The old (blue ring) 90mm was not really good enough for digital, but the 70mm was. Rodenstock acknowledged that and brought out the HRSW 90mm (yellow ring) which is imho, Rodenstock's finest lens, considering its large image circle, but didn't update the 70mm, as it really wasn't worth it.

It's a nice walk-around lens too - lighter weight, easy to use, modest size, yet you can shift/stitch with it, to a reasonable degree. If you do not use rise/fall or shift-stitch, then you could also look at the 60mm, which is a stop faster, but gives no movements at all.
Man, you are killing me. ;) I have the 90mm HR, pink band, and it's also stellar, and needs no back extension. I have shifted it to around 20mm with great results, albeit 60MP.

One other issue to consider, at least on the 90mm HR and HR-W, not sure on the 70mm is the flare problem, basically no Rodenstock lens I own is great shooting into the sun. and ghosting flare, which can happen to the 90mm Blue and pink banded lenses. I have not seen ghosting on my 40 HR-W, but the destructive flare when shooting into the sun or with the sun coming at an angle can really ruin a shot. I use a hood on my 40mm and 90mm (lee) which helps out, but the 90mm still ghosts at times.

Paul C

jagsiva

1 went 60mm Sk, gets a bit more space before i get to the 90mm rodie

I have the 60XL as well. The 70HR is a great lens, but the 60XL gave me a little more spacing with the 90HRSW. It also has a larger IC.
Having said that, after looking at samples of the 60XL with the 100MP IQ3, the 70HR maybe a better match if one is planning that upgrade route.

tjv

The 70HR is an amazing lens and allows for great movements. I've found I can move it quite a bit further than the stated IC and not hit the hard vignette.

I'm not sure why people think the blue band 90mm HR-W is not up to digital, it is one of the sharpest lenses I've ever used on any format. Save for the flare problem–which used to drive me crazy, but I never encountered if I used a hood–I never felt it was lacking.

Either way, I much prefer the 70mm focal length on full frame DMF. 90mm is too long for me.

stngoldberg

Paul is correct. I also have the Rodie f=90mm APO SIRONAR DIGITAL with the pink band (no back extension) and I find it to be very sharp.
Incidentally, I just received the center filter for the Schneider 60mm and I do notice an improvement in the light fall off. I got lucky as Schneider stopped producing the CF's along with the lenses, but Linhof Studio still had one in stock... B&H discontinued the item

Stanley

Paul2660

Paul is correct. I also have the Rodie f=90mm APO SIRONAR DIGITAL with the pink band (no back extension) and I find it to be very sharp.
Incidentally, I just received the center filter for the Schneider 60mm and I do notice an improvement in the light fall off. I got lucky as Schneider stopped producing the CF's along with the lenses, but Linhof Studio still had one in stock... B&H discontinued the item

Stanley
It is a sad time, in that Schneider will no longer make this lens. One excellent lens. BTW good point on the CF, as I use it all the time also. It makes a big difference as you point out on the large shifts that this lens can make.

I guess that all of the 60XL's may soon be gone from dealer stock and the 70 HR-W will become the standard, (no issues with the 70mm either), but size and mass are larger.

Paul C

stngoldberg

It is a sad time, in that Schneider will no longer make this lens. One excellent lens. BTW good point on the CF, as I use it all the time also. It makes a big difference as you point out on the large shifts that this lens can make.

I guess that all of the 60XL's may soon be gone from dealer stock and the 70 HR-W will become the standard, (no issues with the 70mm either), but size and mass are larger.

Paul C
Hey Paul.
Our Schneider 60mm with CF will become very valuable over time
Stanley

GrahamWelland

I'm not sure why people think the blue band 90mm HR-W is not up to digital, it is one of the sharpest lenses I've ever used on any format. Save for the flare problem–which used to drive me crazy, but I never encountered if I used a hood–I never felt it was lacking.
Me neither. I thought that my 90 HR killed every other tech lens until I got my 23, 40 and the 32 HRW lenses. I suspect that those saying it never really used it. :chug:

Smoothjazz

Graham,
You have both the 32HR and the 40HR; I am trying to decide between these two lenses. Do you find you use both of them, or do you favor one over the other, given that they are fairly close in focal length?
Are the unique enough that you find they are really separate lenses, or could you duplicate what the 32HR does with a 3 panel stitch on the 40HR?

Graham,
You have both the 32HR and the 40HR; I am trying to decide between these two lenses. Do you find you use both of them, or do you favor one over the other, given that they are fairly close in focal length?
Are the unique enough that you find they are really separate lenses, or could you duplicate what the 32HR does with a 3 panel stitch on the 40HR?
If you stitch with each lens respectively, then the 32HR will still be wider than the 40HR. The only main reason to choose the 40HR over the 32HR is for standard filters and filter holders. Otherwise just go for the 32HR so leaving no room for itch to upgrade ;)

GrahamWelland

Graham,
Actually I used to have the 23/40 with my IQ260 but when I moved to the cropped sensor IQ150 I traded them for the 32HR which was (a) a better fit for me and (b) the chance to get the very best lens I know of at that wide focal length.

i was very happy with the 40HR. It was just a little 'tight' as my go to wide angle lens though with the IQ150 and I'd often stitch with it to get the equivalent images I'd shoot with the 260.