The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Help put my mind at ease...

tjv

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone could put my mind at ease, please...

I had lots of dust on my Credo sensor. I was at the lab, who have a compressed air machine, and took the oportunity to use it to blow the sensor clean. I gave it a little burst away from the sensor first, then at a 45 degree (or greater) angle, "squirted" the sensor with the air. I didn't give it a full strength blast, because I was worried it might be too strong. Now my mind is running away from me a bit thinking I shouldn't have used the compressed air at all as it might be strong enough to push something out of absolute alignment. Am I being overly paranoid or do you think I have cause to worry I did something silly...

Thanks for your advise!

TJV

yaya

You were cleaning the IR filter and not the sensor, there's nothing that can move there other than spots of dust on the filter...that is if there were any there...

Sleep well :)

Yair

steve_cor

I've used a can of compressed air. I didn't want to use the cleaning solution just for a few specs of dust that you could easily blow off the glass. Didn't put the straw too close to the sensor. It worked great. No problems, and I'd do it again. Make sure the straw isn't loose so it won't fire into the glass.

--Steve.

epforever

If I were you, I wouldn't do this again. There's no worry about misaligning anything, but a few years ago I used compressed air (nitrogen, actually) from a high-pressure tank I use when scanning film, and the bits of dust that were in the nozzle tip hit the IR filter with enough force to permanently make small indentations in the IR filter. Had to send the back to Denmark for IR filter replacement.

A handheld, squeezable Giotto rocket blower is all I use now.

BANKER1

I'm with you. Rocket blower only! Compressed air or nitrogen can form a haze or actually damage the IR filter..

Greg

tjv

Yeah, I was worried about creating small pits if dust hit it at speed. I used an air compressor rather than a can, so nitrogen wouldn't have been a problem. Anyway, lesson learnt. Better to be safe than sorry. I won't do it again!

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
A similar drawback is the coalescence of water vapor to liquid as the gas cools with expansion ... splattering all sorts of dust and water on the
surface if there is no inline filter.

Most Dustoff type cans have a propellant that is very nasty ... which is why you use short blasts and try not to invert or shake the
can when dusting.

I like the Visible Dust Zeeion blower ... dust and static free ...

www.visibledust.com/products3.php?pid=444

Bob

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
A similar drawback is the coalescence of water vapor to liquid as the gas cools with expansion ... splattering all sorts of dust and water on the
surface if there is no inline filter.
and oil.

If a rocket blower won't move it, then it's best to wet clean. Wet cleaning a MFDB is easy, don't need to take any shots to confirm it's clean, and if done properly can be done pretty much as often as you want.