The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Advice on adding 7" monitor to IQ 100

alajuela

Has anybody had any experience and would like to offer advice on what would be the best monitor to use with an IQ 100. In terms contrast ratio, refresh rate, resolution and features.
I have very little experience with video. The purpose of adding the monitor for me is to have a large, light, convenient screen to help in focusing on a tech camera
Thanks , all advice opinions are welcome
Phil

Mitch

I have the IQ3-100 on order and after a lot of research ordered the SmallHD model 501 5" monitor. Their 7" monitors come highly recommended as well. Looking forward to useable focus confirmation using tilt on Rm3Di. Fooling around now with mounting schemes.

Mitch

alajuela

I have the IQ3-100 on order and after a lot of research ordered the SmallHD model 501 5" monitor. Their 7" monitors come highly recommended as well. Looking forward to useable focus confirmation using tilt on Rm3Di. Fooling around now with mounting schemes.

Mitch
Thanks Mitch I will check it out, any reason you went with the 501 instead or the 502?

Thanks
Phil

MILESF

Would be interested in a mounting option for the Rm3Di also.

Mitch

alajuela

Mitch
Hi Mitch
I seems like the 5 series is similar in size to an iPhone 6 and the 7 series is similar to an iPhone 6plus
Thanks
Phil

kdphotography

You also might want to consider the Sidefinder accessory----which will help to eliminate glare in the field.

There is a video on the site, https://www.smallhd.com/ that goes over some of the mounting possibilities for using their HDMI monitors.

The hotshoe on a technical camera is of limited use (in my mind) to those of us that are *ahem* height challenged. Mounting the Sidefinder up high doesn't do much good. :p I'm interested in working with the Nato rail and cobbling something together using the mounts used for tethering with the Surface Pro. Light, small, and easy are the goals. I'll have a better idea at this years Capture Integration in Carmel----we should have a SmallHD monitor there I hear...:)

ken

Mitch

Phil--The 502 is more money and the only difference I see is the SDI connectivity, which is a video connection. Thought a lot about the 7" but opted for smaller/lighter. May buy the 7", try them both and sell the one I don't want to keep. SmallHD products are hot and, I assume easy to resell. Another feature I'm looking forward to is the monitor as waist level finder for tech cam. I'm too old to root around in the rocks on my hands and knees for a low camera angle.

Ken, yes I did order the Sidefinder, but am suspicious that their fabric shade may be as good for what we do, but the sidefinder
looked too cool to pass up. Hope it works.

Mitch

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
If you want to focus in any condition the Zacuto Gratical is the only EVF worth considering ... 5" 7" any monitor will be degraded by
contrasty light ... look at the reviews from those using video as pros ...

Bob

alajuela

If you want to focus in any condition the Zacuto Gratical is the only EVF worth considering ... 5" 7" any monitor will be degraded by
contrasty light ... look at the reviews from those using video as pros ...

Bob
Wow Bob, didn't know this existed!! A little over budget and was looking for some to use with my cambo and field camera with the IQ100.

But should I take up video (would have to be next life) then this is really cool!!

Thanks

Phil

alajuela

Phil--The 502 is more money and the only difference I see is the SDI connectivity, which is a video connection. Thought a lot about the 7" but opted for smaller/lighter. May buy the 7", try them both and sell the one I don't want to keep. SmallHD products are hot and, I assume easy to resell. Another feature I'm looking forward to is the monitor as waist level finder for tech cam. I'm too old to root around in the rocks on my hands and knees for a low camera angle.

Ken, yes I did order the Sidefinder, but am suspicious that their fabric shade may be as good for what we do, but the sidefinder
looked too cool to pass up. Hope it works.

Mitch
Hi Mitch

I am leaning towards the 501 package with the Sidefinder, - have this month +/- to decide before the IQ 100 comes in. If I can maintain the elusive self control and not pull the trigger before then

The guys at CI also like this and as we age our load should get lighter; glad you steered me towards the 501 as opposed to the 702.

Phil

Peegeenyc

Note that a lot of these finders/viewers are a *lot* bigger than they appear on the web, and larger than we are used to in still photography. Don't get fooled by the pictures, even the smallHD with sidefinder is very large on any regular MF body. With video gear and all their mount/extras, they are ok, but for stills, it gets pretty weird looking, and heavy.

There's a 5 or 7" video monitor on Amazon for about $117, I'd suggest trying that first, and see how you get along.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Wow Bob, didn't know this existed!! A little over budget and was looking for some to use with my cambo and field camera with the IQ100.

But should I take up video (would have to be next life) then this is really cool!!

Thanks

Phil
Phil,

The previous model is adequate for critical focus ... My trade-in mint condition is available here :

http://www.camerawest.com/categories/usedProducts/14562/

Bargain and I bought it as a close out from Zacuto in perfect condition.

Bob

kdphotography

Note that a lot of these finders/viewers are a *lot* bigger than they appear on the web, and larger than we are used to in still photography. Don't get fooled by the pictures, even the smallHD with sidefinder is very large on any regular MF body. With video gear and all their mount/extras, they are ok, but for stills, it gets pretty weird looking, and heavy.

There's a 5 or 7" video monitor on Amazon for about $117, I'd suggest trying that first, and see how you get along.
My guess is that the resolution would not be sufficient on this listed monitor for critical focus. My second guess is that photographers that can afford the IQ3 100MP won't blink at spending $1,200 for a proper high res viewfinder/sidefinder from SmallHD-----this all in the context of technical cameras and lenses, with users not exactly known for their budget conscious decisions (compared to mere mortals using Nikon, Canon, et al) in the realm of Dante. ;)

alajuela

This needs to be personally evaluated
I tried the 7" smarthd at digital transitions and it worked great, but that is a $1,400 item primarily targeted for video use. 7" is superior to 5", but ymmv
I returned the smart hd and got a $500 less sophisticated monitor (elvid 7" rigvision) for use with the a7rII
http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-...00mp-shipping-now-full-frame-cmos-hdmi-6.html
Hi

Why do you feel the 7" is superior to the 5" ?

Do you shot video? If so did that sway your choice. In this case I am a one trick pony - only stills

This is to serve a a focus aid - (I need all the help I can get at the moment) for tech camera and as a bonus as Ken pointed out convenient at odd angles.

Thanks

Phil

Stephan S

My guess is that the resolution would not be sufficient on this listed monitor for critical focus. My second guess is that photographers that can afford the IQ3 100MP won't blink at spending $1,200 for a proper high res viewfinder/sidefinder from SmallHD-----this all in the context of technical cameras and lenses, with users not exactly known for their budget conscious decisions (compared to mere mortals using Nikon, Canon, et al) in the realm of Dante. ;)
Ken, how does the 7" monitor compare to your Surface Pro workflow? At first glance it seems like the Surface Pro would have more functionality being tethered and the monitor would have the benefit of working without worrying about a lost tethered connection. Not sure about weight, quickness to focus and setup? I can't imagine needing both. Would be great to hear your thoughts on a comparison.

gerald.d

Unless I totally missed something from the demo and brief hands-on, I personally can't see the point of using the HDMI output for checking focus.

It only allows you to either see the full sensor, or a 100% crop of the middle of the sensor.

Or did I, the Phase One dealer, and the regional sales manager from Phase One all miss something?

Kind regards,

Gerald.

kdphotography

I received my SmallHD 501 5" HDMI monitor with the Sidefinder option. Expensive but the Sidefinder option to eliminate potential glare issues in the field is worthwhile.

In a nutshell, the HDMI monitor option is a winner for composition and focusing with a technical camera. If you need more, then USB3 tethering with a Surface Pro offers more software processing, but live view still remains easier via HDMI monitor. For me, the SmallHD 501 option is smaller, lighter, easier to use, and pack along than the Surface Pro. With Focus Assist on the SmallHD 501, it is super easy to manually focus a tech cam. You can select the color and sensitivity of the Focus Assist. Think of it as similar to Phase One's Focus Mask, except now you can focus in live view (as opposed to shoot, check focus mask, refocus, shoot again).

I've borrowed from my clamping efforts with the Surface Pro and come up with a pretty good (imo) option for the SmallHD with Sidefinder. With a tech cam on tripod at full extension, I did not want to use the hotshoe or a mass of adjustable arms to lower the finder to viewing height. Simple nanoclamp with quick release plates allows plenty of movements and a secure attachment for the monitor and sidefinder.

Ken

Mitch

Ken--
I have the same 501/Sidefinder. Haven't had a chance to use it yet except hand-holding the 501 'tethered' to the back by 36" HDMI. Actually works great that way with the camera down at knee level. Any chance you can post pictures of your mounting set-up?
Mitch

kdphotography

This is a quick phone shot posted in another thread of my 501/Sidefinder set-up on my RRS tripod with Cambo. A small turn of the ball head knob and I can adjust the angle of the Sidefinder as desired. Nothing fancy, but it is easy and works. I'll be changing over to a coiled HDMI cord or a retractable cord to keep things neater and smaller in the pack.

ken2016-03-01 21.04.12.jpg